Tranny Problems - truck is Home from the Hospital!

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Re: Tranny Problems - truck is home from the Hospital!

Post by WVcampers »

:bounce:
snoking wrote:Picked up the truck today! Now to talk Darlene into attending Jackson Rally! Chris
All right, "on the road again" as willie says :d :bounce:
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
snoking

Re: Tranny Problems - truck is Home from the Hospital!

Post by snoking »

He gave me a couple payment options to this CC price! Chris

Last edited by snoking on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob & Cathy

Re: Tranny Problems - truck is Home form the Hospital!

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Are you going to have to put any break-in miles on before towing?

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

Rob & Cathy wrote:Are you going to have to put any break-in miles on before towing?

Rob
He said I can drive it like I stole it! Chris
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Cheaper than a new truck, and all mods are already done. A clean windshield and you have a "new truck!"
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
snoking

Post by snoking »

dfredendall wrote:Cheaper than a new truck, and all mods are already done. A clean windshield and you have a "new truck!"
Yep, due for first valve adjustment. Going to detail it and polish the diamond plate parts this spring. Front end still feels tight, but will check that over. Maybe change the diff, and transfer case oils and fresh brake fluid. Time for antifreeze too. Wish I could give it a quiet pill however!

Good part of noise was the morning coffee guys in Arizona said I could not go for donuts at 6am on Friday's, as I wake the whole Park. Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

LOL, I remember it was an attention getter.

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

Drove the truck down to Seattle to have dinner and a beer with old friends from the bank. It drives a bit different than before, with before meaning from 2004 after the first custom tranny. It has always been a bit of a little hot rod, but I think in a drag race it is quicker now than before. The reason is in how this torque converter is setup vs the DTT 89 percent converter. The coupling in the DTT converter was really tight(and they had two even tighter ones), from locked to unlocked was just 200-300 RPM's, not allowing the motor to rev much past the actual vehicle speed when unlocked. With this new triple disc torque converter, the fluid coupling is looser, allowing the engine to rev more when it is not locked up. So the new converter seems to have more torque multiplication. Before the switch from unlocked to locked was like a small gear change, and now it is much more like a full gear change(fitting a gear between each mechanical gear).

Hope this is not boring you, but towing I believe it will act much more like a 6 or 7 speed tranny vs the old one that acted like a 5 or 6 speed(Being a 4 speed in reality). Or it will still act like the old one with (5 or 6 speed) but with better gear spacing). Sequence is 1st, 2nd unlocked, 2nd locked, 3rd unlocked, 3rd locked, OD unlocked, and OD locked. Depending on my DTT smart controller settings it could act like a 5 speed or a 7 speed. Smart controller has 4 different settings that determine at what speed it becomes active, lock up minimum speed, when it shifts to OD, and how much throttle is need to unlock the TC lockup(a protection feature, that may not be needed with the triple disc). I might have to watch tranny temps a little more closely, using it in the unlocked mode!

So in layman's terms.

Original stock truck - was like a rubber band between the throttle and vehicle movement.
DTT Custom tranny - rubber band between throttle and vehicle was almost completely gone.
Newest tranny - some of the rubber band effect/feeling is back, but still less than stock.

Got to tow to really know much more!

Now to find a rice burner at a stop light to dust off!!!! :)) :)) :))

Chris
snoking

Post by snoking »

Well I have an appointment to take the truck back in Monday. Looks like the transfer case output shaft slip joint seal is leaking. ATF fluid from it all over the back half of the under side of the truck and dripping on garage floor. Work order does not list that as an item replaced!

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Bummer Chris, at least you were up here when it happened.

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

Rob & Cathy wrote:Bummer Chris, at least you were up here when it happened.

Rob
I kinda think he will want to charge me the 35 bucks for the seal, and I thought about just getting one and installing myself vs the driving the 44 miles to his shop. However I have a 12 month/12K warranty and do not want to do anything that would negate that, so I will let them fix it and look at everything else under there.

Chris
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

snoking wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote:Are you going to have to put any break-in miles on before towing?

Rob
Chris
They should have replaced all soft parts, may be time to take his advice.
Park it in down town Seattle with the keys and let somene else drive it drive it like they stole it!
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

Olbird wrote:
snoking wrote:

Rob
Chris
They should have replaced all soft parts, may be time to take his advice.
Park it in down town Seattle with the keys and let somene else drive it drive it like they stole it!
This a transfer case part, not a transmission part. I do not know the odds of pulling out a drive-line from the slip joint and installing it again and having or not having a leaking seal, on one that showed no signs of leaking. Yeah, he will most likely say at 110K they should have installed a new one and billed me for it. The big guy has people that do the R&R of the tranny, he does the transmission bench work himself. If someone here learns to question such things on a future repair, then we did our good deed of the day. Chris
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Yes, it does not take much to disturb that seal the yoke slides into.
It is a pain when you just do all that can be done and little problems come up.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I'm sure he'll treat you right Chris.

Rob