Tow Vehicle for Cardinal 3450RL

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

lclayton
Future Cardinal Owner
Cardinal Owners: Have purchased a new 2014 Cardinal 3450RL and Chevy 3500HD with Duramax Diesel. Hope to head West soon.

Tow Vehicle for Cardinal 3450RL

Post by lclayton »

About to purchase this new, 2014 RV: Cardinal 3450RL. GVWR 15,950, Hitch 2,270. Thinking of purchasing a Chevy 3500HD with the 360 HP, gas engine and single rear wheels for the tow vehicle.

I would like to avoid the extra cost of a diesel engine and duels vs. single rear wheels and the gas engine.

Question: Will the gas engine without duels be an adequate, safe tow vehicle?
jtaylor1920

Re: Tow Vehicle for Cardinal 3450RL

Post by jtaylor1920 »

First off welcome to the club. You've found an excellent resource for all things Cardinal :thumbrt:

A quick look at the 2014 towing guide and I'd say you'd be over you max tow rating if you go gas. If you go diesel you'll be good but have little room to grow if you decide to upgrade later.

Just my thoughts after a quick glance at the towing guides. I'm sure others will chime in with their experience.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

The 3450 is a very large heavy trailer and the hitch weight will end up higher then listed.
I would go with a diesel for sure, your fuel use will save you money while the power to pull.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

The question is tow it where? If you just want to move it to the lake ten miles and back a few times a year, then maybe! IF you can keep from overloading the rear tires on a SRW truck. If you want to see America then a dual rear wheel diesel is the way to go! If you really want a 350/3500 SRW then you have to really do your home work on rear axle weight rating. Maybe someone will give you a real world pin weight as a starting point. Remember very few truck salesmen really understand the issue. Chris
lclayton
Future Cardinal Owner
Cardinal Owners: Have purchased a new 2014 Cardinal 3450RL and Chevy 3500HD with Duramax Diesel. Hope to head West soon.

Post by lclayton »

Thanks all for your input...will help with my decision.

lclayton
teambradfield
Cardinal Owners: 3450RL

Post by teambradfield »

lclayton wrote:Thanks all for your input...will help with my decision.

lclayton

I purchased a 2012 3450RL. My F350 6.0 diesel was not enough truck. With the added Washer/Dryer over the Pin, full tank of Diesel and 4 people in the truck we were over the limit. To meet the GVWR I had to upgrade to a F450 6.7 diesel. Very safely in limits now.
2012 3450RL, Redbird package
2012 F450 Lariat, 6.7, FX4, DRW, CC, Chrome pkg, Factory Hitch
Proud Military Family: Son #1=Navy/CPO--Son #2=Army/SFC and Son #3=Navy