Aluminum Wheels

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

LuvRving
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 3030RS

Aluminum Wheels

Post by LuvRving »

The aluminum wheels on my 2012 GMC have been showing spots since about 9 months after the purchase. It is probably because of the road salt used in this part of the country. The 3 year warranty will be up on the last of February and the dealership will replace them. So far they have shown me a catalogue and told me to choose what I want. The problem is that I don't want to have the rims go bad again. Apparently some aluminum rims can be resurfaced and some can't. I've seen a set that was resurfaced and they look great. I would rather have a set of rims that can be resurfaced should they go bad again even though I love the look of the set that came with the truck. Any advice on what to order?

Another question: is there any way to not have the balancing weights showing? I know that there are weights that stick on but they tried to do that before on the last trailer and they wouldn't stick to the metal. I will be replacing the tires on my Cardinal in the spring and it would be nice not to have weights that will show signs of rust within a year.

I met a guy at a campground last summer who had a pickup that was 12 years old and the aluminum rims looked like new. He said the weights were the adhesive type.

It would be nice to get a set of rims that will look nice for the rest of the life of the truck.

Thanks for your guidance!
Joe and Yvonne
2012 GMC 3500HD CC SRW D/A 4X4 Curt Q24
2012 Cardinal 3030RS
Nights camped 2012 - 119, 2013 - 108, 2014 - 112, 2015 - 121

The cares of tomorrow can wait until this day is done.