Anyone want to upgrade from Vista to Win 7??

This is the place to list those items you'd like to sell or give away. Also, if item is sold, or no longer available, please post it as sold!

Moderator: Don Wilson

Luizianna

Anyone want to upgrade from Vista to Win 7??

Post by Luizianna »

I bought the Win 7 upgrade and can't use it on my computer without partitioning my hard drive and I really don't want to do that....so if you're thinking about upgrading...I have an upgrade I would like to sell. I have two discs...one for 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. Both came in the box. The box was factory sealed and is NOT an OEM

Forgot to mention it has instructions to upgrade from XP also....
Rob & Cathy

Re: Anyone want to upgrade from Vista to Win 7??

Post by Rob & Cathy »

That doesn't sound right.

Rob
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Well I tried twice to upgrade....first time it said there was an issue with the bluetooth stack and Itunes...so since this is going tobe Virg's computer when I get my Mac, and I've never used the bluetooth and I know he never will...I deleted it...I deauthourized Itunes like it said to do. (deleted itunes second time) I also updated some drivers that need updating, even deleted my antivirus for the upgrade. Still wasn't successful. Went to the Toshiba web site and did some investigating and had to go to a link if my second digit in my serial number was a 7, 8, or 9, (it is a 7)...there it explained I can't do "just" an upgrade, it has to be a "clean" install. OK...noooo proplem, just crashed a month ago, did do a back up of what I have gotten replaced so I am good to go...right? WRONG

Now...since my disc is an "UPgrade" and not a Full version I did some research to see if I can do a clean install, (it does give me the option of "Upgrade" or "Custon". what I found out in my research is...when you do an upgrade, the program will look to see if you have a "legal" version of what you are upgrading from...as you probably know, in a clean install, your computer gets wiped clean, if the "upgrade" doesn't find that info, it will usually shut down and not complete the install.... Since I just dealt with a "clean" install when my computer crashed a while back and it has taken me weeks to get it set back up doing all that updating...(a years worth!) I did not want to go that route again.

Now according to some more research...it can still be done, by partitioning the hard drive, and that's where they lost me....way over my head plus I really don't want my hard drive partitioned. (I do understand what partitioning is, had that on an old computer...longgggg time ago)
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Partitioning the hard drive is not real hard to do but I guess everything is easy if you know how. Your right Rob you should not have to partition the hard drive for an upgrade but Linda has had several software problems and hardware problems with this computer so that is why the upgrade wont take. Since its an upgrade version and not being familiar with the new windows and if its like it use to be you would have to partition with xp reload xp update xp then do the upgrade. :( Thank you mr gates
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Yep I think that's the way it says to install this upgrade over XP...

But like Mike say's...I have had issue after issue with this Toshiba and Vista...Virg has a Toshiba w/XP and not a problem at all. A friend of mine has a different Tosiba with Vista and loves it...go figure

I was really hoping that the new Windows would resolve some of the issues I am having with Vista. After I updated some drivers, deleted my anti virus and I tunes...when it ran the scan for compatability the only thing it had to do was restart after updating (this was during the install process) it restarted...went thru the whole upgrade process...took over 2 hours. lat..then said it was unseccessfull and removed everything. So I reinstalled my antivirus and itunes and gave up.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Did you try the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... ments.aspx

Rob
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Yep...that's where I got the directons on stuff to do like update stuff like the texas instruments flashmedia whatchamacall it, and the bluetoothy thing and the antiirus and itunes...did everything it told me to do....it says all my systems are a go....but they didnt...so here I sit with an upgrade disc that wont work for me lol...hmmm maybe I'm the problem lol
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Luizianna wrote:hmmm maybe I'm the problem lol
I doubt it. I'm personally not a big fan of upgrades. If I'm going to so something as major as changing the O.S. I start with a clean system and install the full version. With that said I have one question. If you do an upgrade on the cleaned HD will the upgrade ask you to insert a copy of your old O.S. CD as proof that this is an upgrade?

Rob
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Hmmm Rob...good question. If I take it somewhere to have someone way more knowledgeable do it, I'll have to ask that question. I guess I could try it...what's the worst that could happen..?? I'd have to reinstall the Vista that came with the computer??? And then spend weeks getting all the updates??? Not at this point in time! lol
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yes you do since it has to see you had a previous version since you are using an upgrade not a full install.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Linda, bet you can't wait for your new Mac. LOL
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Jim...you got THAT right!! lol If I weren't going to Yellowstone, would be gettin it a lot quicker!! lol
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Linda, we bought our Mac at an Apple store in the Twin Cities, about 30 miles from our home. At the time we bought one-on-one training sessions. The cost at the time was $99 for 52 half hour lessons, or one a week for a year. They were great to help us move from the PC to the Mac and we learned all kinds of things on what our Mac could do. You are light years ahead of us on using a computer, but we did find these lessons helpful.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

I will definately check into that!! Thanks for the heads up! We have Apple stores in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, they are the closest to us.