Insurance questions

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Trish

Insurance questions

Post by Trish »

I'm interested in hearing any recomendations regarding insurance in general, but I'm also wondering if anyone knows anything about insurance for an under-25 age group or who to ask. Asking for a quote from progressive came up as "unacceptable risk". I've driven a full-size school bus for 5 years, but all they're looking at is age.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Insurance questions

Post by campswithcritters »

Trish wrote:I'm interested in hearing any recomendations regarding insurance in general, but I'm also wondering if anyone knows anything about insurance for an under-25 age group or who to ask. Asking for a quote from progressive came up as "unacceptable risk". I've driven a full-size school bus for 5 years, but all they're looking at is age.
It will be tough to find for such a heavy high profile vehicle given the age factor. Do you plan to live in the trailer? If so I recommend checking Explorer Insurance, they specialize in full-timers. www.ExplorerRV.com or call 888-774-6778. Might check Foremost also 800-237-2060 as they do a lot of RV insurance. Hope you can find something!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Insurance

Post by Don Wilson »

Trish,

Bruce gives good advice about the fulltiming

You might also check with GMAC http://www.gmacinsurance.com/ or 1-800-462-2123. They write RV insurance as well and are recommended by Good Sam and Camping World! I can tell you from personal experience they are not inexpensive!!!

The age issue is going to be very expensive because of the experience factor that younger drivers have more accidents and drive faster! They don't look at each individual driver only the age category. If you find insurance don't tell them you are moving to Southern California or it will increase even more.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

Hi Trish, sorry to hear about Progressive, thats what we have, just got free insurance today for our dog, Medical and life, plus full replacement. (On the dog). I wish you well in your search. John
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Insurance

Post by Chief409 »

Don Wilson wrote:If you find insurance don't tell them you are moving to Southern California or it will increase even more.

Don
Or Philadelphia, the San Francisco Bay Area or any other major metro area. When I moved from Kern County in California to the SF Bay Area, my vehicle insurance doubled. Five years later we moved to Bucks County in SE Pennsylvania and it doubled again (the No Fault insurance factor). We're back in Kern County now, after another stint (14 years) in the SF Bay, and ain't moving no more! What we save on insurance makes the payments on the 'Bird.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Funny about Progressive saying unacceptable risk thats what they deal in, my son is with progressive and he is 22 with a couple of tickets :evil:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

I had a "Brand X" TT a friend of mine was using on weekends, was in Bolivar TX when the storm hit Galveston. The friend could not move my old trailer because he lived about 90 miles away. Insured with Progressive, I'm waiting for a check. Can't complain. Of course, I'm an old fogey that was not living in that trailer.