Cardinal Second Home

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: Cardinal Second Home

Post by Chief409 »

We're still waiting for the house to be finished, so we're still "full timers". It's interesting to say the least, learning to live in the 'Bird when it gets cold outside! Things like having the ceiling fan set to blow to the ceiling at high speed, which circulates the heat into the bedroom is one :wink: We tried it the other way and contrary to what we thought, it doesn't work worth a tinkers damm.

Currently it's snowing, and has been since daybreak. Of course the SatTV dome is covered with ice and snow, reducing the number of transponders we receive, but - the Bat (Wing) antenna and digital converter to the rescue! Terry hates it, me, I can sit down with a good book, music CD, and it doesn't bother me in the least :joke: , but I did want to watch something on the SiFi Channel. When it quits snowing I'll have to clean the dome off.

Oh. If anyone is thinking of driving to LA tonight or tomorrow, check the road closures. The Grapevine (I5 N&S) - closed. Cajon (I15 N&S) closed. Mountain Pass (I15 N&S) closed. SR14 N&S - closed south of Palmdale. SR58 is open - for now.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

One of the LA TV news shows said the best odds in Vegas is for 4" of snow before it quits. :lol:

This the second time Vegas has had snow this week. They got a dusting Monday.

Global What??? :shock:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I learned something this morning, strange as that may seem! I got up and headed for the shower, turned on the water and it came out like normal for around 3 seconds, then NADA. This is not good. I checked the outside temp, it's 32. That isn't enough to freeze the line with insulation on it. Then I checked the faucet on the house, that isn't the problem, fully open. Then I walked all 75' of hose, no breaks or leaks, but when I took the hose off the 'Bird there was no water of course. Now I have a pressure regulator in the line, so I loosened the fitting on the supply side, yep, water there. NOT on the downstream side to the 'Bird. So having no clue if this would work or not, I completely bled the pressure off the supply side of the regulator (after turning off the faucet lol), hooked things back up, opened up the faucet at the house, and HEY WE HAVE WATER!

The pressure regulator is a standard RV one, I guess that if it suppresses a pressure surge, it needs to have ALL pressure removed to reset it. Or being as I've had it for a few years, it might need to be replaced. I've hooked up in some campgrounds that I'm sure had some large pressure surges and hadn't had this happen. But it's never been in continuous service for three months before either.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Now, I wish I'd remembered to turn the water heater back on so I can take my shower.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Living in our 'Bird I'm getting a crash course in "What can fail, will". The other day, with the temp 25 deg outside (I have a Davis wx station in the backyard), the water heater reset light was on, and it was "cold as h***" when I got up. Now I KNEW I had a half bottle of gas left on the left side, which was selected, but I had a appointment at work, so to save time I grabbed the spare tank and got it filled. I then pulled the bottle out of the left side as it's a bit easier to get at (yep, half full), hooked up the just filled one, and no gas flow. Move it to the right side, got gas flowing, the furnace and water heater running, and off to the appointment, just a bit late. On the way home I stopped at a RV parts store, picked up a "high pressure regulator" - the red one, changed that out and all is well. Now ALL the gas line fittings came with anti-seize compound on them, not Teflon tape. The left tank had always shown less flow, so I think some of the anti-seize probably gummed up the high pressure regulator. I seem to remember that gas line fittings should be assembled "dry" because of this sort of thing happening.

On another note: Interesting weather out here. We've had snow sticking on the ground at least twice now, and a storm tomorrow promises more of the same. Plus we've had wind gusts up to 50 mph. My cheapo jack on the frame under the living room slide, behind the rear tires has done a good job of keeping the 'Bird stable, even with the strongest winds hitting the starboard quarter. I've also replaced two of the floor registers with ones that have valves (the rearmost and the one by the stairs) and closed them. Now we're getting much more heat in the bedroom, and with the ceiling fan set to blow towards the ceiling, more even heating overall. Before I changed the registers, with a OAT of 25 the furnace would be on much more at the same thermostat setting. And becuase I sit around barefooted, I noticed there isn't as much cold air on the floor.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Carefully shutting down vents don't know about your model but when I bought mine the fan would run and it would heat but if you went outside your could hear the flame coming on and going off. It was tripping the sail switch because the furnace was getting to hot (not enough air going out) They worked on it for one month until I finally got suburban to admit they needed to install another vent (more air out) to correct the problem.

I noticed the flame would stay on longer in colder weather but it would cycle on the sail switch, which is not a good thing.

All is fine since they installed a new vent all the 2006.5 models came out with an extra vent in the 29/30' models
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Mike Clay wrote:Carefully shutting down vents don't know about your model but when I bought mine the fan would run and it would heat but if you went outside your could hear the flame coming on and going off. It was tripping the sail switch because the furnace was getting to hot (not enough air going out) They worked on it for one month until I finally got suburban to admit they needed to install another vent (more air out) to correct the problem.

I noticed the flame would stay on longer in colder weather but it would cycle on the sail switch, which is not a good thing.

All is fine since they installed a new vent all the 2006.5 models came out with an extra vent in the 29/30' models
I haven't noticed the sail switch kicking in yet. The register in front of the sink has a good stream of air going towards the ceiling where the fan is circulating it. Plus there is increased flow to the three registers in the bedroom/toilet. I think that with 7 registers (can't forget the one in the basement) the furnace doesn't have a sufficient volume of air to efficiently distribute the heat.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Jash
Cardinal Owners: John and Regina
2008 30 RKLE
2008 Chev LT DRW Diesel
JohnDeere 4710
CanAm 650 Mine
Forman 400 Hers

Post by Jash »

When I was stationed out in Arizona in the 80's I learned what snow birds were, it was at that time I decided that I needed a plan. After I finally retired from the Coast Guard we built a house on some land my family purchased in 1901. Its boardered by National forest up here in North west PA. Well, after about 12 years of additional working Ill turn 55 this summer, the house I built is paid for and last fall we purchased our new cardinal and chev truck. My dream is coming and Im excited.

We have to keep our camp and plan on getting out of the cold in the winters and join the snow birds. For the life of me I can understand how people can like this weather up here. Its ok up to Xmas but Jan, Feb and March are unbearable. I spent to many winters down South in my years in the service. We would have to have a home base for gardens and toys etc...
John and Regina
Retired, USCG
2008 30RKLE
2008 Chev DRW
Nights camped in 2011 120 days
Nights camped in 2012 160
Nights camped in 2013 134
Nights camped in 2014 160
Nights camped in 2015 160
Nights camped in 2016 160
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Jash wrote:When I was stationed out in Arizona in the 80's I learned what snow birds were, it was at that time I decided that I needed a plan. After I finally retired from the Coast Guard we built a house on some land my family purchased in 1901. Its boardered by National forest up here in North west PA. Well, after about 12 years of additional working Ill turn 55 this summer, the house I built is paid for and last fall we purchased our new cardinal and chev truck. My dream is coming and Im excited.

We have to keep our camp and plan on getting out of the cold in the winters and join the snow birds. For the life of me I can understand how people can like this weather up here. Its ok up to Xmas but Jan, Feb and March are unbearable. I spent to many winters down South in my years in the service. We would have to have a home base for gardens and toys etc...
Until Dad retired from the USN we bounced between San Diego and Clearfield County, PA. Then we moved to Snohomish County, WA. in 1963. After the first winter there I decided that Western Washington and I were going to part ways as soon as I was able. Living in the Mojave Desert, just west of Edwards AFB you could say I'm a snowbird, who never returned. ;)
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:After the first winter there I decided that Western Washington and I were going to part ways as soon as I was able.
:lol: It's an acquired taste that's for sure. I still remember my first winter here, in 1975, I was ready to head back to Southern California the next Spring. But now that I've gone through 30+ winters I'm just about getting use to it.

Rob
RV4Gene
Cardinal Owners: 2006 29RKLE

Post by RV4Gene »

I was born and raised in Western Washington and have always loved it. I enjoy the change of seasons. I lived in Reno and Sacramento for a total of 15 years and hated it...as far as the weather was concerned. Now that I'm older, I don't care for that large of a city either. So, WA is good for most of the year and Montana for the summer :D :D
Merv & Lynn
2006 Cardinal 29RKLE
2003 Dodge Diesel 4x4

nights camped 2010: 126
nights camped 2011: 76
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Yep, I was raised in Southern California and spend some time in the Yuba City area of Northern California. I wouldn't trade either location for up here. There's something about the green and blue that really appeals to me.

Rob