Using Kitchen Sink in -20C

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

LadyInRed

Using Kitchen Sink in -20C

Post by LadyInRed »

Can you use your kitchen sink in -20C (I don't mean using the taps.....just the sink) and then letting it drain through your holding tank and then out into a contained bucket? I have the Arctic Pak which I understand heats my holding tanks to about 36 degrees F. After each weekend when I did this I would again refill the drain with antifreeze. Has anyone tried this? I would sure appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried this or heard of someone who did.

Thanks
Lady in Red
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Using Kitchen Sink in -20C

Post by Mike Clay »

Well lets see thats 4 below 0 question is where are you getting your water if not using the taps? If you use your artic pak make sure you leave water in the tank like maybe 1/3 tank or the heat pads will wreck it. Maybe I have not had enough coffee yet but do you use he rig on weekends only and are you just using the kitchen sink drian and you are not using the pump in anyway if this is the case i would think your ok. Dont know how your outside bucket is set up that would be the concern but if its for weekend use only make sure you shut off the tank heater and drain the tank and put antifreeze back in the trap when you leave.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Brrrrrrrrr! Sorry no help here, my rig has never seen temps like those (and I hope secretly that it never does). Run south in the winter, we've got plenty of spots available with much warmer temps.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
LadyInRed

Post by LadyInRed »

Hi Mike:

Thanks for the reply. I am using water that has been brought in and being poured from the bucket into the sink. I just want to use my sink and drain to let it drain to a bucket outside. Yes, I am camping on weekends only as my boss feels it necessary that I come to work Monday to Friday (what a grouch)!

I appreciate the feedback. It sounds logical to me that I should be safe doing this but wanted some other opinions.

Joyce
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Wow, I can't even imagine -20 degrees!!! The bird must be doing a really good job keeping you warm on those weekends!! lol just noticed you have -20C ....don't matter.....that would still be cold in F !!!!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Luizianna wrote:Wow, I can't even imagine -20 degrees!!! The bird must be doing a really good job keeping you warm on those weekends!! lol just noticed you have -20C ....don't matter.....that would still be cold in F !!!!
Do I need to send you another pair of specks I converted the C to F for you rofl
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Ahhhhh now I see!!! That's why you the brains and I am the fluff!!! lol That's still toooooo cold for me :) brrrrrr
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

I'm not sure how your bird is set up but be careful that when you are switching the tank heater "on" for the galley tank, that you are not also activating the heater for the fresh (or any other) water tank. There are other posts on this subject and this is one reason that I put a separate switch for each heater on mine.

I don't have any experience camping in this cold of weather (and don't intend to) but you might consider using a dish pan that fits inside of the sink basin and then dumping it into the waste bucket directly instead of passing it through the tank. Just a thought.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Good point Earnie mine only controls he fresh water tank (at least thats what they tell me) :? But if you are using the furnace there also should be enough heat for that tank to not freeze the way you are using it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Good point Earnie mine only controls he fresh water tank (at least thats what they tell me) :?
I don't know Mike, I believe all four tanks are heated. I sure wish you would drop your belly pans and check for us. :thumbrt:

Rob
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

LadyinRed,

I think this will work fine as long as when you leave all of your traps are filed with anti-freeze (-50 in your case) and you get as much water out of the holding tank as you can. Be generous with the pink stuff, its cheap insurance.

After I'm finished winterizing I always crack open all of the holding tank drain valves for just a quick second and let some anti-freeze leak past them. This will help the drain valves not to freeze up and if there is still a little water laying around the cap it also won't freeze.

Gosh this seems like a long winter already!!

Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Mike Clay wrote:Good point Earnie mine only controls he fresh water tank (at least thats what they tell me) :?
I don't know Mike, I believe all four tanks are heated. I sure wish you would drop your belly pans and check for us. :thumbrt:

Rob
Well there are two no ways there Rob
1. Belly pans will not be coming off anytime soon
2. I dont think 4 tank heaters would be running off one switch

BUT if ya want to come over and take them off and adjust my brakes while your down there just let me know :lol:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:I dont think 4 tank heaters would be running off one switch
I agree, but if you look at your DC fuse panel you'll find two fuses #3 and #4 are labeled tank heater. Why two fuses if only one tank is heated?

On page 34 of the schematic diagram, supplied by Al in the general information area, the single switch supplies power to two of the tank heaters and also energizes a relay that supplies power the the other two tanks. That's how one switch can supply power to four heaters.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Heck I don't know Rob but I do know you have a trailer exactly like mine sooooo maybe you could end this once and for all :D
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Well Mike, the biggest clue so far as been the two fuses but I sure would like to fine that relay too. Also, I'm very tempted to try and separate the belly pans enough to see if I can get a peek at the tanks.

Rob