Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Re: Skype

Post by bop11 »

We have been using OOVOO. We have a hard connection to Comcast so I'm not sure how it would work on Wi-Fi.
Going thru Comcast it works real well talking face to face with a Niece that is teaching in China.
And the best thing is it's free and you can have two or three other people on at the same time.
Could almost have a small card turney and see if there's any bluffing going on :wink: .
Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

This system is great and price is right! Video call to Dawn today as well as critterenter. Even set up a conference call (voice only) with Mike and Ernie. Cool tool to have!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

Bruce and I got the video thing working later. Works great and I don't have a very good WiFi connection here. Finally got to meet Mike face to face, even though we're about 1500 miles away. Hard to share a Jack on Skype, but everything else seems to be working.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Thanks Earnie for a wonderful suggestion!! We have now created a Skype ID section in the profile section of each member. If you have Skype and wish to be contacted by other Cardinal members, just go to the User Control Panel, then click on Profile....scroll down to where it says Skype ID and add your info then hit submit. Profiles can be seen by members only. We try very hard to keep this site free from spammers and other not famiy friendly invaders.

If you don't have Skype....try it out...it's the best I've seen yet. I just got my webcam/mic today and it is great!! Almost like being face to face!

Looking forward to meeting YOU face to face!!
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

You are welcome. Sometimes good things come from desperate means.

Now if I can get our DD to get on Skype my mission will be complete. I bought some Skype Credits to use when calling a regular telephone and the sound quality is very good. I figure the DW can talk for an hour for about the same price as 1 minute will cost if we go over our monthly cell phone plan considering roaming and long distance charges.

The Skype ID section is a great idea. I think someone had a "moment" while typing however. "Let other Cardinal Club members know if you want to be onctacted by other members." :P
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

=)) That would be me...hang around awile, you'll see a lot of those "moments"
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Our 14 year old granddaughter just received a 4 year full scholarship to a private school in Culver Indiana. She was one out of 750 applicants that tried for it. We just got off using I-Chat to see her in person and congratulated her back in Minnesota as we travel in Arizona. Technology is great--and we are a bit proud. :ymapplause:
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Hey...Congratulations!!! THAT is quite an accomplishment for a 14 y/o!!! You should be proud!!

I've never used ichat....I've used pal talk and yahoo and out of those this skype beats them hands down. When you click on the full screen option, it is almost like they are sitting across the table from you.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

I need to look for the full screen option, didn't see it before, but will look for it.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Ok here's an issue I was having with Skype....anytime I had a phone number, in email or pm...and I've been having a real headache with these business cards and phone numbers let me tell ya!!! But anyways...when I opened my email or whatever I had a phone number in...they disappeared!! I was having a really hard time getting phone numbers to stick on the business cards as I was making them!! Poor Mikey....he probably thought I was nuts!! lol I deleted Skype from my computer and no more problem, so I knew it had to do with Skype. I sent an email to Skype support, but Mikey found a fix before they did!!! I had to open my browser...go to Tools, Manage Add Ons, then go disable two Skype add ons! Everything works great now and I am a happy Camper!! Hope this helps if you have an issue with yours. I am running Vista so that might be part of the problem...lol
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

I haven't done much in other programs but I did notice that any telephone number that showed up in my Firefox browser would have the little Skype symbol at the end of it. I guess you could just click on it and it would dial. I followed your suggestion but only had one add-on extension. I disabled it and now the numbers appear normal. I am running Vista also. Thanks for the tip! :thumbrt:

P.S. They call it Windows because of all the panes you have to see through.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

EAW wrote: P.S. They call it Windows because of all the panes you have to see through.
8-} You got that right...lol
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Vista has problems with other programs as well! It causes Photoshop CS3 to lockup so much that Adobe came out with CS4 faster to take care of the problem than Microsoft is taking to fix Vista!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Vista will be history soon (thank goodness) but then again what do i care getting a mac book next time around. :D
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Just because they are coming out wth something new doesn't mean it will be any better than what they have!

After all they had WindowsXP which was pretty good and then you got Vista!!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5