Should I Drain my House Water When on the Road?

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

DrLewie
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 30WB LE

Should I Drain my House Water When on the Road?

Post by DrLewie »

Hi There,

My wife and I are planning our first extended (3-4 months) trip and I'm wondering if I need to drain the water from the pipes in my home. We have a private well and pump (non-chlorinated), and a gas water heater. We won't be away during the Winter months, so I'm not concerned about freezing. But should I worry about bacteria or stagnation in the pipes?

The system is easy to drain, but I don't know if it's best to drain it or just leave the water in it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lew Pinsker
Flemington, NJ
07 Cardinal 30WB LE
08 Ford F250 Super Duty Supercab 6.4 Diesel (SRW)
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Re: Should I Drain my House Water When on the Road?

Post by Don Wilson »

Hi Lew

I am on city water but when I go on trips like you are talking about all I do is turn down the a/c or heater so it does not work as much. I have never drained my pipes. I would think that if they are metal pipes and set for that time without water in them that would cause them to rust. I am not a plumber and that is just my opinion.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Lew, I would turn off the water to the house but not drain the pipes. Also, if you have anything that runs on gas to shut the gas off also.

Rob
DrLewie
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 30WB LE

Post by DrLewie »

Thanks for the replies. What you both say makes sense, and I think experience is the best teacher.
Lew Pinsker
Flemington, NJ
07 Cardinal 30WB LE
08 Ford F250 Super Duty Supercab 6.4 Diesel (SRW)
Heat84
Wife and three Queens and a King
Oh yes and my best buddy Lacey my dog
Cardinal Owners: 29ft
many add on like fireplace, central vacuum wet suspension just to name a few

Post by Heat84 »

I agree with Rob & Cathy Reason is simple if you don't shut off the water and something should happen your basement will fill and the cost would be more than your trip and a section of pipe. Just shut the water off at the main source and leave the rest alone. Also shut down any gas , or fuel supply you may have. leave the hot water tank fill BUT due shut the power supply off. HAve a GREAT TIME CAMPING :thumbrt:
MIKE & BRENDA
29'WBL FIFTH WHEEL
2006 FORD F-350 SUPER DUTY LARIATE
ALL THE WHISTLE AND BELLS
Full time summer
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

If you will not be in the house for 3 or 4 months you may want to put something in the drain traps and commode bowls. The reason is that if the water evaporates the seal that prevents the sewer gas from entering the house is gone. You can use rv anti freeze or since they are drains you could use auto anti freeze, you just need something that will not evaporate. If someone is going to keep an eye on the place just have them to run some water in the sinks when they are there.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

I agree about the need to seal the drain traps, however, I'd recommend the "pink stuff". The drains may be going in the sewer but ultimately back into the environment and radiator antifreeze is toxic to animals (read people).
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Minnesota really gets cold, so we do turn off the water, keep the heat at 50 degrees, tell the police we will be gone, have a friends check the house when they can. Have not put anything in the drains, but maybe we should. We are gone 3-5 months a year and in 10 years have not had a problem.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
jim
Louisiana Oak Grove, (NELA)
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3250 RL
2016 F-350 6.7

Post by jim »

don't drain it, that will put air in ur system which will (other than the rust mentioned above) give the bacteria something to live on.
if u block it in, don't block the hot water heater, the relief is nice to have in line in case the system heats up and the pressure rises.
just cover the toilets with a plastic (saran?) wrap to reduce or eliminate evaparation. don't forget abt the washing machine drain. put the pluggs in the sink and lavatories. put something over the shower drain. leaving the a/c on a high temp should allow it to come on every so often and keep water in that trap.
if ur on ur own septic system, i wouldn't fill anything with antifreeze or veg oil. althought veg oil would ultimantly disappear. anti freeze may make ur septic buggs happy for a little while.

the well: draw enough water to reprime it and shut it down but don't drain (then flush it good when u restart it). (experience) i've had pipes break while i am here. it would use lots of electricity if that happened while ur gone. might even burn up ur pump. i've even had the foot valve break off.

after looking at the date of ur post, i hope u enjoyed ur trip and all went well.
2016 3250RL
2016 Ford F350 Crew 6.7
Lake Charles, La
Oak Grove, La (NE La)
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

WVcampers wrote:If you will not be in the house for 3 or 4 months you may want to put something in the drain traps and commode bowls. The reason is that if the water evaporates the seal that prevents the sewer gas from entering the house is gone. You can use rv anti freeze or since they are drains you could use auto anti freeze, you just need something that will not evaporate. If someone is going to keep an eye on the place just have them to run some water in the sinks when they are there.
If you use auto anti freeze and get caught, stand by for some hefty fines. That would be considered a Toxic Spill. Just don't.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I was a professional plumber for ten years and winterized many houses for the snowbirds in the area. The procedure was to use air to blow out the water lines, drain the water heater, remove all water from the toilets. we also used antifreeze in the drains. The houses were often left without heat, so water could not be left in any lines or drains. The icemakers and washing machine were also cleared of water. The amout of anti freeze required to prevent a drain from freezing or evaporating is small enough that it is not considered a spill. The Reportable Quanity af ethylene glycol (auto antifreeze) is 100 lbs under the RCRA regs. Auto antifreeze is very poisonous if ingested. It has a sweet taste and animals are attracted to it. Just be careful that it is kept in the drains and all will be fine. Propylene Glycol (the pink stuff used in rv water lines) has a RQ that is much higher and is much safer since it is also used in many food products and cosmetics. It is the best choice, but if you do your own auto maintenance you probably have some of the green stuff around the house now.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW