Walmart "Camping"

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

BarryA

Walmart "Camping"

Post by BarryA »

Perhaps 20+ years ago, I thought it was a common practice to utilize the Walmart parking lots for a quick nights rest. No that I'm planning an extended trip, it doesn't seem practical to search out a campground and pay $30++, just to get up the next morning and move on. The voices of experience and recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks

Barry
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Re: Walmart "Camping"

Post by Double D's »

Hi and welcome, Barry! We have not camped overnight in a Walmart, but we see a lot of folks doing just that.. We have considered it, but seems we kind of want more quiet place. I will be interested in hearing pros/cons on this subject. It sure would save money!!!! DOnna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Our last RV had a generator and we did use Walmart now and then. Worked out great, we would always go and ask someone if it was OK, only once at a new Sam's Club did the person say NO. But as I was walking back to our rig they ran out after me and said she had checked with the manager and it was OK.

Make sure you park where they say to, and do not park where they take deliveries. We did once and around 2AM all the trucks in the world came by us to deliver merchandise.

If I remember right you can't use a Walmart in Florida.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

BarryA,
We've spent a few nights in Walmart parking lots. We always buy something, only stay one night and try to leave early the next morning. We've also stayed at truck stops such as Flying J and Pilot. Another thing is don't put out the slides or awning and grilling is probably tabu also, especially if they have a food establishment inside.
I've also heard that some campgrounds wil give campers a big break if you're just parking for the night and not plugging in to electricity.
Welcome to the club and if you get over to the sun rise side give me a call.
Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Bill, why would you not put out your slides?

Rob
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

When we used Walmarts we would pull so the slides would not take up any parking. Most of the time on the edge of the lot.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Rob,
I guess it's more of an edicate thing than anything else. I have read in some camping magazines that you should not try and give the appearance that you are doing anything other than parking there for a few hours.
In truck stops or rest areas it does become a space issue.
I really would not mind renting a site at a reduced rate but to spend $25.00 plus to arrive at dark thirty and split at dawn just doesn't make sense.
Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

One time we were staying at a Wal-mart in Michigan and were parked off to one side. That night and morning we must have been sound sleepers because we never heard a thing. When I open the door I found that our part of the parking lot was corded off and there was roofing material by us.

They were going to re-roof the place and had brought in the equipment and material for the job. They never bother us or asked us to move. They just waited until we were ready to leave. #-o :ymapplause: #-o :ymapplause:
Jim & Jane
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

I have stayed in WalMart lots on a few occassions and always found them to be very RV friendly. Even had the manager send out morning coffee a couple of times. Just remember to ask permission and keep in mind that some communities have local ordinances against it. I try to return the favor by buying any supplies I need while I am there and, before leaving in the morning I walk their parking lot and pick up any trash I find.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
CaptainSkidmark

Post by CaptainSkidmark »

Here in Shreveport,La, the Walmart along side of I-20 has I-beams across the entance with a sign stating 12" clearance--my camper is 12'6" high. It's their friendly way to say "get lost overnighters." Well after seeing this in person, I have chosen to take my business to other retailers such as TARGET. I can't say all Walmats are like this one, but it definately left a lasting impression on me. :(
kroskam

Post by kroskam »

We have never camped overnite at a Walmart, but for our upcoming trip, we are planning to stay overnite at a couple Walmart's across the nation. A friend of mine gave us a book with all of the Walmarts nationwide. Along our route we plan to just sleep overnite there rather than pay for a few hours of "shut-eye" at a $25.00 a nite park. The book the friend gave me is called WAL-MART Locator RV Guide (5th Edition). It has all of the Walmarts in the nation including Alaska. The book has directions, maps, and phone numbers. In the book it says that it is a good idea to get permission from the Store Manager, and to set up in a least disruptive area to customer traffic. It also states to resist the temptation to pull out the awnings and set up a full-blown campsite. If I am saving $25.00 staying in the Walmart Parking Lot, that is $25.00 that I can afford to spend in the store, and I can certainly abide by a few simple rules to preserve the privledge. Let me know what you think.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Many of the Town/ Cities/ Counties where Wal-Marts are located are telling Wal-Mart NO, you can't have RVers spending the night in your parking lot.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Future Fulltimers"]Many of the Town/ Cities/ Counties where Wal-Marts are located are telling Wal-Mart NO, you can't have RVers spending the night in your parking lot.[/quote][/quote]

This is very true. I think that's one of the reasons the book suggest to ask the manager before you set up. Our city council has passed some rather "RV unfriendly" ordinances lately, but so far they've not stopped the Wal-Marts from letting folks stay. We've even got one unit that has been staying on the Wal-Mart lot for over a year now, he just moves every day or so from one side to the other.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
just_us

Post by just_us »

We spent the night at Wal-mart in Deming NM - a 24 hour wal-mart. We called earlier and confirmed it was "okay". We arrived at midnight, I did some shopping while the husband walked the dog and started a light snack. Great location w/24 hour security. The security guard assured us the stuff in the bed of our truck would still be there in the morning because he was working until morning. They keep the RV's to the West and the 18 wheelers to the East. We read online that this wal-mart was not RV friendly - we enjoyed our stay. My recommendation -- get there early --- this location was very popular and the parking area was filling up quickly. We were one of many RVs looking for a spot on the outer fringe.
kroskam

Post by kroskam »

We returned from our cross country RV Trip after being gone 59 days, and covering over 10,000 miles. We traveled from California to Maine and back, and stayed in Walmart Parking Lots 9 days out of the 59. We always asked permission, and the employees were all very friendly. Although most of the parking lots were busy all night we always got a good nites sleep. I always put out my slides, but I parked at the outer fringes of the parking lot, and parked to stay away from the entry and exits. The book that we used (see above post) was invaluable in finding locations with Walmarts. We used the book in pre-planning and while enroute. I changed my attitude toward Walmart because of this, and can't wait for one to open in my town.

Kevin & Lisa
2006 Cardinal 30TS
1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 Triton V-10