Full Timers

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Starr Mom
Cardinal Owners: 34 QS Cardinal

Re: Full Timers

Post by Starr Mom »

We started full timing last fall. The condo is on the market and we are in Florida.

Can anyone point me to help about legal vs. mailing addresses? Can your drivers license and vehicle registration address differ from your other addresses (E.g., Social Security, Medicare, ...)?
Betty & Bill Baker
Good Sam Club Lifetime Members
08 Cardinal 34QS
08 Ford F-350 Diesel Dually
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

When I made the first post in this thread almost 4 years ago the Cardinal Club had almost 200 members and I had 5 years to go before I retire.
Well this great club has grown to almost 900 and I have just over a year to go :bounce: (But who's counting :?: )
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
stevesmith
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3804BH

Post by stevesmith »

I have to many too go to even count :cry: .....unless that education lottery thing works out. :-? Wife and I have actually talked about full timing. We counted up that we are gone from home at least 20 weekends a year and a few full weeks. Most time we have spent at a time in the RV is 9 nights as we tend to take short trips but at least a one weeker per year. Since we have a 7 year old we would have to find a place to lite for a long period but we have reasoned that if we could find the right place you could get a playground, pool, activity building, maybe a basketball or tennis court all included. :D Campgrounds are generally safe for bike riding, running, walking sometimes hiking. Would love to do it just to scared :-ss to take that leap but that was why we chose to upgrade the RV to a more livable unit. Congrats to all who have made it. I only hope that I havethe opportunity to enjoy it for a long time as well.
Steve & Rebecca Smith
2000 F350 DRW 7.3L D
2009 Cardinal 3804 BH
B&W hitch w/ 5th Wheel Companion
Ride Rite Firestone Air Bags (Rear)
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Starr mom, I don't know the legalities of your question. We use Escapees club mail forwarding service in TX as both mailing and legal addresses and have met others who use similar services in FL, SD, & TN. You would likely find a lot of folks who are in very similar circumstances by also joining the escapees forums at http://www.rvnetwork.com/ as not too many full time members on this site. Although these folks will help as far as they can.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
jllaney

Post by jllaney »

We have been fulltimers since 2003. No regrets.
Our truck has only 44000 miles on it, so we aren't high mileage, though we generally move every month. We serve with Servants on Wheels Ever Ready (SOWER), a ministry working at Christian camps, schools, rescue missions, etc., in 40 states, including Alaska, and Canada. Haven't figured out how to get to Hawaii, yet, and stay dry. It is a wonderful way to retire.
Have been in the Cardinal for only a year, but enjoy it a lot. Cabinets are a bit high for my short DW. Very comfortable.
just_us

Post by just_us »

Part timers.... we are generally out 2-3 nights (3-4 days) at a time and do it 2x a month.... occasionally a week long run to an out of state relative. Low Mileage... we retreat to a local lake with our lake front condo.....we just love sittin' by the lake (or kayaking) and chillin' with a beverage or two....

The bird is great....We use full hookups in the summer when the temperature doesn't fall below 75 by bedtime. Otherwise we are 15' from the shore line. :d

Full time and retirement are a distant dream....maybe even a dirty word... we have a long way to go. We won't even start the countdown yet.... it is double digits away! :ymsigh:
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Not sure if we will ever be "fulltimers" but my wife and I were talking and the day is comong when we will probably spend more time living on the road than we will in the house. :bounce:

Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
rlhedlund

Post by rlhedlund »

rlhedlund wrote:Short-timer. Waiting to be semi-retired. Hurry up economy.
Still waiting........
hydehunter
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3640,2011 Dodge 4x4 dually

Post by hydehunter »

well starting June 1,2012 we will be full timers,that is the date retirement sets in and we will be on our way to So.Dakota to set up our new address and such.see you on the road after that. :d
Jim and Karen Higgs
2010 Cardinal 3640
2011 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually
full timing starts 6-1-2012
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

hydehunter wrote:well starting June 1,2012 we will be full timers,that is the date retirement sets in and we will be on our way to So.Dakota to set up our new address and such.see you on the road after that. :d
After 5 yrs on the road, hope you love it as much as we do. :ymcowboy:
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B I guess you could call us full timers, we have been living on our sail boat for 8 years and out here for 7 years. In one month we will be in the Cardinal, RV full timers. Don't own a house and don't want one. Adventure & change is what makes this life worth living, got to see over the next hill or the next island. We hope to see most of you as we plan to see the entire US, state by state and Canada. Our kids are all middle age, our grandkids are working or in collage, they have thier own lives and stay busy, 2 days is all they can spare us and that is OK with us. Look out your window some day and we will be parked in front of your house. :)) Capt Jim
cris3dive

Post by cris3dive »

Bought our bird in 2008 - mostly used for short vacations. House in FL and would camp in state parks in FL, LA, NC, SC, GA.
This past January we decided to go to full time and sell our house!! DH is looking for work and curently in New Orleans, LA.
We have 2 dogs and life has been good. (Better once we have income again..!!) Our biggest question is where to live? We have been using state parks the past month and while most are great... we are going to look at rv parks if we stay in the area.
Any suggestions...?? Our first purchase will be a portable dump (especially if we stay at state parks.)
Thanks for the site! :x

Ian & Christina
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

The best RV park in the area is Bay Hide Away Rv Park localed in Waveland MS, just off US90, great park with alot going on. We have been here since the first of January, will be leaving the first of April. The phone number is 228-466-0959, the web site is www.bayhideaway.com , you guys have a great day.............Jim & Norma :AR! :AR!
cris3dive

Post by cris3dive »

Hi Jim & Norma!
We actually just came from Waveland, MS. We stayed at Bucaneer State Park. They are still rebuilding but the bathroom and sites are nice (& full hookups!)
the pools and laundry are not done. It"s a really big park, but was not that busy.
We didn't stay b/c the job options were not good, so now we are here near New Orleans, hoping for something!!
Best fishes-
Christina
RalphKuhn

Post by RalphKuhn »

We've made the decision to become full timers in 1 to 2 years and not wait until retirement. The 1 to 2 years is what it' will take to get rid of everything we don't need as well as get the house ready to put on the market. It's amazing how much "stuff" one can acquire over the 26 years in this house. Since we will both be working, we'll be full-timing in Iowa until retirement. The "Summer Palace" will become "Home".

In recent years we've been spending up two weeks at a time in the bird and not anxious to go home. We will be asking a lot of questions as we prepare for this big change.