Dog jumps off bed

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

BoonesRV
Cardinal Owners: CAF30MK 2009

Dog jumps off bed

Post by BoonesRV »

I am afraid that when our little dog jumps off the bed, she is going to hurt herself. The bed is so high. Does anyone have this problem - or is our Missie the only one that sleeps on the bed?? We bought some of the steps, but she does not use them.

Carol & Gene
2007 Chev HD
2009 Cardinal CAFMK 37'
Missie - one spoiled Bischon
honker

Re: Dog jumps off bed

Post by honker »

I use to worry about our other dog getting hurt doing that. She would not use the steps either, so all I could do was get a non skid rug to have on the flooring to make sure she did not skid when jumping. Sorry that's the best I can offer :roll:
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Present & past dogs have always jumped off the bed with no injuries to date (yes all are/have been small dogs).
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Our Yorkie flys on, off and over the bed, or the stairs. She's got "HER" house all figured out! :lol:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
mikenmarge

Post by mikenmarge »

Small dogs do have a higher risk of injury (usually breaking a leg) from jumping off a high bed, especially onto a hard floor. Using the steps is the safest way, but unless you can train the dog to use them, then it doesn't help. You might try using little treats and practicing. Some people even put a treat on each step so they have to go up each step to get a treat. Our dog is a Golden Retriever and he jumps up and own with no problem, but he sometimes does skid across the floor, even with the rugs there. The bed in the Cardinal is a little higher than our bed at home. (He doesn't sleep with us, but likes to lay on the bed when we are in there getting dressed or if I'm laying there using the computer. Last trip, it got a little cold at night and I woke up in the middle of the night and he'd snuck up there between us to get warm, I guess. He has a warm bed, but I guess he thought our spot was better. lol
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

It is really bad when they jump out the truck bed while traveling at 60 mph, I just use a net over the bed while traveling.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Torben

Post by Torben »

That is a good one George =))
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Olbird wrote:It is really bad when they jump out the truck bed while traveling at 60 mph, I just use a net over the bed while traveling.

Subject is OFF not OUT. =))