New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Re: New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Post by Olbird »

I think the dog has to be a good swimmer to go from one boat to another and would require less time on the leash =))
However on land all parks requires leash to be used.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Yes George and Julie, Rico (poodle is a good swimmer) loves the water and I'm sure he'll miss the dinghy rides and playing on the reefs. It still is a question though as to how I will maintain his excerise schedule if he has to be leashed at all times. Guess I'll just have to play that one by ear. Thanks to those that responded and I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Right now our focus is getting our stuff shipped back to the US. No easy task for a couple of old broke down sailors. (-|
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Jim, you looking at it all wrong !
The leash is for the dog "owner" when you go walking, the dog is actually taking you for your excerise schedule.
This is way the dog does potty so you can get your bending up and down excerise in also.
So as long as you on the leash you will be find.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

One other option for your dogs would be to check for dog parks. Many cities are now adding this feature to existing parks - and frequently have separate areas for small and large dogs!
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
honker

Post by honker »

We have an Australian Shepherd, you can imagine how he needs exercise. We walk several times a day if no fenced area at CG. We will look for a school, or ball park or some place fenced where he can play frisbee or football. 15 min. of good running will keep him from climbing the walls. :) There are also apps for smart phones that locate dog parks. The internet is really helpful in finding dog friendly parks. But there are always some rules. There is a CG, if I remember correctly in Tenn. or NC that is made to accomodate the dog, not the person. You can find alot out there, you just have to do some creative looking. I also have an app on my phone that will locate a vet or animal hosp. for me no matter where I am, that is good to have too....also have a dog first aide app on phone. The hardest thing when traveling with a dog is the restrictions in national parks and other places when you want to do some exploring. Most times they are not allowed and will have to be left in the trailer.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Campground specifically for dogs here: http://www.4pawskingdom.com/
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Thank You Bruce and Sharon for sending me the link to the dog friendly campground. Since we are from the coast of NC, we are familiar with the western part of the state. Sounds like a fun place for both human and canine guests. Told Jim I want to go and stay a week. Can do was his reply :thumbrt:
campswithcritters
exempt member

The sailor wrote:Thank You Bruce and Sharon for sending me the link to the dog friendly campground. Since we are from the coast of NC, we are familiar with the western part of the state. Sounds like a fun place for both human and canine guests. Told Jim I want to go and stay a week. Can do was his reply :thumbrt:
There are many pet friendly spots if you look close enough via internet searches and trailer life directory (a must have book to travel and find best spots) the advertisements in there often state if they have a dog run. Also use RV park reviews online. We are in Boot Heel RV Park in Alamogordo NM right now and they have a nice fenced run here. Tomorrow we are off to Rusty's RV Ranch in Rodeo NM and dog run there too. I would guess about 5 to 10% of parks have a facility for dogs, those that do always get our business over a competitor. I always thank the campground owners for having a facility and I usually end up cleaning it up from left overs of less considerate pet owners so they will keep the facility. I also stop the inconsiderate owners of dogs and tell them not to tarnish my image as a dog owner because they are too lazy or stupid to pick-up after the animal, always have an extra plastic bag in my pocket when they say they forgot their own. Not always popular, but I don't need to be friends with those type folks anyway. :ymcowboy:
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Hi Guys, Well as of yesterday we are Cardinal owners, not sure what we have because we are in Greenville SC and the temp was 32*F yesterday morning, I was shaking so bad , could not tell what color it was, we are hoping get it moved to RV park today. Than get heat on, buy supplies both food, linens, clothes & etc. Still hope to be in NC before Sunday, any way the new adventure begins, just wish it was not so cold. See you all down the road and at Menphis & Ind. Jim 8-} 8-}
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

The sailor wrote::-B Hi Guys, Well as of yesterday we are Cardinal owners, not sure what we have because we are in Greenville SC and the temp was 32*F yesterday morning, I was shaking so bad , could not tell what color it was, we are hoping get it moved to RV park today. Than get heat on, buy supplies both food, linens, clothes & etc. Still hope to be in NC before Sunday, any way the new adventure begins, just wish it was not so cold. See you all down the road and at Menphis & Ind. Jim 8-} 8-}
Congratulations guys! Another adventure is starting for you, but have you gone by WalMart and picked up longjohns yet? :)

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Congrats Jim and Norma,
Now you begin the adventure with a land schooner rather than a ocean schooner. You know if you need any advise all you have to do is ask and before you know it you will the ones giving as well.

I also changed your status from Future Cardinal Owner to a regular member!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Congrats Jim and Norma! We hope to meet you guys at a rally this Spring.

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Welcome to the us land mass of climate change. In your previous life it was the same old weather everyday. Now that you're on soil way North of the equator, it will change. And daily. :d

Good luck and see you in Memphis. :thumbrt:
campswithcritters
exempt member

Welcome to the RV lifestyle Jim & Norma! Hope it fits you well & you are able to get far enough south soon for a while to adapt to the temp gradually. Remember to take wide turns, watch for low clearances, and take the long way! :thumbrt:
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Jim and Norma enjoy your new home and love the journey.

Merry Christmas.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165