New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

The sailor

Re: New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Post by The sailor »

:-B OK guys, good info, so I want a 2008 truck or later, what is the acceptable mileage, When buying used cars we look for no more than 30,000 miles , the diesel can do a lot more, my diesel boat motor was built in 1982 and still going strong. So what say you. Did you notice that Norma has already named the camper like a boat "Lady Bird" so look for us some day it will be in front across the top, in bright red. All for now, thanks Jim
R & D

Post by R & D »

I like the name ! "Lady Bird"...sounds perfect :thumbrt:
Norma....a lot of the rigs are coming with the central vac system already installed, but not to worry, if the one you fall in love with doesn't have one, you can have one put in easliy :d My husband installed ours and I love it :thumbrt:
honker

Post by honker »

Illona Lucas wrote:Hey Don what's this about talking to the men in the club about trucks?, I was the one who came home with our truck, Bud said ( well I think I know what this means a new camper right?) So some of us gals now about trucks too. But hope you know I am just having fun with you. This club is full of great people and very knowledgable. And we can have fun with each other.
It was a Karen that said ask the fellas.lol I listen to the guys talk about the trucks and all the new things they do and have not the foggiest. I do good to know what little I do about the bird........................... :))
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Ford diesels are designed to be 250,000 mile rebuilds. This doesn't mean that you can't get more. I have seen a few with over 350,000 on them and still going. I have not seen what the new 6.7 Ford rebuild number is.The new 6.7 is getting much better fuel milage towing than the 6.4 does, but as all non Ford people will let you know very quickly, the 6.7 is not a proven engine. I love mine :bounce: :bounce:

Your boat engine did not have to meet EPA standards and also has an unlimited supply of cooling water. Don't expect the service out of an auto diesel that you can get from a boat diesel. With that said most of us agree that a diesel is the only way to go when hauling a load the size of the Cardinal that you are looking for.

Hold out for what you want, maybe not a package, but it is out there.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Hi Reply , so any thing with less than 100,000 miles should be OK, if the rest of the truck is in good shape, thanks.
keep the advise coming Jim :-B
tschmalz

Post by tschmalz »

As you will probably find on this site, everyone has their personal favorites when it comes to tow vehicles. Dodge has the engine (Cummins) that has proven over time to be the most reliable. I won't say their transmissions are the best, unless you don't mind shifting, in which case I strongly recommend the six speed manual. Throw an engine exhaust brake on and you are ready to travel anywhere you want. Welcome to the "family" and enjoy your future travels.
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Hi another question that we need advise on..........We are planning to live in camper full time so we have talk about buying a bunkhouse camper in the 35 to 40 ft range with a bath and half. Then remove the bunks and turn the little room into storage, office, sewing room & wine cellar. What are the pros & cons on this idea, are we crazy? Jim
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Sorry, have another question, noticed a few F450 that look good, what is the thought about them, do they ride as good as the f350 Thanks Jim :-B
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I just traded in a '09 F350 FX4 Tow Boss, which has basically the same axles, etc. as a F450, including the 4:30 axle ratio. It was a stump puller, but the 4:30 gears have a cost in less mpg. The 450 does have a slightly higher payload and towing capacity. Standing next to a 450 it's hard to tell the difference from the 350. Ford quit offering the Tow Boss option for the F350 in 2010 I think.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
R & D

Post by R & D »

tschmalz wrote:As you will probably find on this site, everyone has their personal favorites when it comes to tow vehicles. Dodge has the engine (Cummins) that has proven over time to be the most reliable. I won't say their transmissions are the best, unless you don't mind shifting, in which case I strongly recommend the six speed manual. Throw an engine exhaust brake on and you are ready to travel anywhere you want. Welcome to the "family" and enjoy your future travels.
Another Dodge fan here :thumbrt: (let the truck wars begin :d ) All you ford guys really think the rest of us are going to sit back =))
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

R & D wrote:All you ford guys really think the rest of us are going to sit back =))
I was wondering about that myself.

Rob
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

and soon one of our GM spokesmen will pipe on in! :ymsick: :ymhug:
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

So....going back to your bunkhouse question, I saw a unit that had the bunks ripped out and replaced with an office - 2 computer desks, and 2 file cabinets that supported a small work surface. Looked like it could be used as a cutting table and sewing table. Even heard of a bunk room that had been converted for quilting - with the quilting frame on pulleys that dropped from the ceiling! There's no end to possibilities for modifications (mods) and members here that will be willing to give you all kinds of ideas :thumbrt: :thumbrt:
And once you get Lady Bird, don't forget to attend a couple of rallys! You will get more advice, more ideas, and have more fun! You came to the right club/forum for GREAT people :bounce: :bounce:
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
R & D

Post by R & D »

Gosh...I love this! :d
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Giving out info IS what we are about - when someone asks a question, it's up to us to put up our best analysis, for others to see.

Chev, Ford, Ram, it's all about answering questions, not about name brands when the question is so clear. :d

Except, Cardinals!!

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.