New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

R & D

Re: New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Post by R & D »

Welcome Jim & Norma :ymhug: Sorry the weather over there is not as warm as it should be. Looking forward to meeting you all at a rally :d
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Travelers wrote:Welcome to the us land mass of climate change. In your previous life it was the same old weather everyday. Now that you're on soil way North of the equator, it will change. And daily.

Good luck and see you in Memphis.
The weather in Michigan is known to change every 5 minutes!

Welcome home Ex Pats! :thumbrt: And welcome to the Cardinal RV Club. Don't be shy about asking questions about that new trailer, I'm sure you will have a ton.

Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Thank you all very much, we do feel like the wellcome is a lot wormer than the weather, Norma seems to like the cold it is killing me, yes long johns to day. Question? does it always take 4 hours to set up camp, I hope we get better at it, before we kill each other. The truck came with full tank, no fuel problem yet and all the mail boxes in this area are still in tact, but we still here. The camper is only 36' long, why does it seem to be 75' when you want to make a turn, I know practice !! Yes me plan to be in Memphis in April with a bottle of jack and keg of rum and lots of questions, till then Jim :-? 8-}
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

The sailor wrote: Yes me plan to be in Memphis in April with a bottle of jack and keg of rum, till then Jim :-? 8-}
I always have Coke so we are good! :thumbrt:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

4 hours :shock: well that part should get better over time. We are set up and relaxing in no more then 20 min.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Jim,
We take about an hour. Most of it is getting the rig in the right spot. Wait until you get the opportunity to park your rig with a tree between the slide and you awning. One of the things that I did was to write on the inside of the front storage doors is how far each slide goes out. Keeps from having to move the rig when you're too close to an unmovable object. :d
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

You'll get it to under an hour, moving slow! After a full day of driving, slow is good setting up.

Tip. Always have enough sewer hose to reach around 10 feet past the back bumper of the trailer. Lots of campgrounds have the sewer at the rear of the site. And a tree or post right where the slide-out will hit it if you back all the way in. Some pull through sites work out that way too. Plus, always check for low hanging branches!!

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
R & D

Post by R & D »

Not to worry, you will get the hang of it with a good routine.
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

We are probably still slower than most members, but we are also fairly new. I think the hardest part is getting the bird in the best position possible to maximize view and minimize stretching hoses and cords! We try for pull thru sites, but if we can't get those, I just pray our patience will last long enough to get her positioned "good enough"! How long does that take? Well......generally we are set up and I am starting drinks/dinner/snacks in a little under an hour. It may get faster as we do it more, but a piece of advice I got from my full timing cousin was - make a list and check it twice! They have his and her "to-dos", but they check each others work to be double sure; and she said "it's YOUR rig and YOUR money - take YOUR time!" :thumbrt:
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

We normally take 20 -30 minutes.

Add another 5 - 60 minutes if I set up the satellite. =))

Rob
R & D

Post by R & D »

Rob & Cathy wrote:We normally take 20 -30 minutes.

Rob
Winegard carry out satelite .....only way to go. Takes 2 min to set up :thumbrt: PLUS...just may save a marriage =))
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

Just relax and enjoy the learning curve. It won't take long before you can can do it all in 30 minutes without any effort. And the good part is, if you forget something, IT WON"T SINK. :)) Good luck and happy camping.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

R & D wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote:We normally take 20 -30 minutes.

Rob
Takes 2 min to set up :thumbrt: PLUS...just may save a marriage =))
Not at that price! #:-s

Rob
R & D

Post by R & D »

Well Rob....pricey yes...worth every penney.....definately :thumbrt: If you remember the 'white elephant" at Jackson.....the satelite dish? That was the one that we replaced with the winegard. Only used it about 3 times before Roy caved in to my new purchase :d
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

LOL, he gave up to soon Dayna. I've been setting ours up for about five years now. :d

Rob