New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Re: New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Post by WVcampers »

What you could do with the room that "was" the bunkhouse are endless. BUT, you have to keep in mind that the trailer and truck have weight limits. The frames, tires, and brakes are some of the things that limits the weight that is safe to haul. The Cargo Carring Capacity, CCC, of a camper is a rough idea of how much weight that you can add to an empty trailer.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Hi Weight limits, yes we know about that as we have raised the water line on MiLady twice in the last few years, we are trying to move off the boat at this time and on to a friends boat that we are boatsitting as they are in Canada and will not be back untill January. I did not know we had that much stuff, I told Norma Just a few hours, and 3 days later I think we are done :)) We will be heading for VA in January to stay with my daughter, I have not seen weather below 75 temp in 7 years have only one pair of long pants, wear swin suit most of the time or nothing, it will be a big change for this old body.I hate cold weather :(( Questions, again what is acceptable mileage for a used truck and how much difference is there between f350 & f450, is the ride the same? More Later Capt Jim
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I have talked to many 450 & 550 owners (drawn by my heavy hauler) about ride & mileage, but have never owned one. I've ridden in a few also, they definitely ride harsher than a 350 when empty (never been in one with trailer on) that is due to stronger springing for increased capacity. They all tell me they get 1 to 2 less MPG than their 350 counterparts due to the usually steeper gearing.
Most are surprised I get about 1 mpg less than they do, while carrying a car and towing extremely heavy. My own $0.02 is if you don't need the extra capacity of a 450/550 it is likely not worth the extra cost as the powertrain will not last any longer than a 350. If you want to go "big" capacity, I can hook you up with a couple websites that explain how to choose and convert a OTR tractor for RV use for less money investment than a new dually.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Bruce makes a good point. To move his and Sharon’s big trailer around they have a converted semi tractor. They also have the space and ability to carry a Smart Car. When they get some place they have the car for shopping and “whatever”.

When we were full-timing we had a motor home pusher and pulled a car, when we moved to our trailer we used the truck for the “whatever”. The 3/4 ton truck we have now is not as easy to park or get around in, or is the ride like a car. For us I would go to a one ton truck and get a fiver that I can safely pull with it.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Hi guys,, thanks a lot, i was thinking tha same thing, with out a load it may be rough, have worked in construction all my life, I have had company trucks with poor ride and heavy duty clutch that took both feet to push and now at my age I want comfort. I will still be looking for a truck already set up for a 5th wheel, if I can fine it. We will try to make some of the events this spring if we get it all together. Love to meet you guys capt Jim ps. sorry about the spelling, not my foretay
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Take that thought of a rough ride away if you by the new 2011 redesigned GM 3500 truck. The new GM frame design allows the springs to load in steps as weight is applied. The 2011 has a GCWR of 29,200 and has been raised again in 2012, in my opinion if you can swing the cost of a 2011 truck ( Any Brand) you will be more then happy with the power and SAFETY on the market today.
I would not not buy anything with more than 50,000 miles on it and more important do not buy anything without full warranty still in effect.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

A step up from a 450 or 550 with a million mile powertrain and easy to drive with ultra-shift automated transmission. Image

A caricature on the sides now done by an artist friend.

Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

campswithcritters wrote:A step up from a 450 or 550 with a million mile powertrain and easy to drive with ultra-shift automated transmission.
Go big or stay home. =))

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
campswithcritters wrote:A step up from a 450 or 550 with a million mile powertrain and easy to drive with ultra-shift automated transmission.
Go big or stay home. =))

Rob
Dang Rob Im going to miss seeing you at the rallies =)) =)) =))

Just Kidding :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Hi, been a couple days, we have been trying to get to boat sold , cleaned and moved off. We did find a cardinal & f350 package deal in SC (thanks Traveler II & Don Wilson), we are looking at it as best as we can with this internet. Both are a bit older than we had in mind, but seem to be in great shape and may save us some money. I called the owner and talk to him for a long time, he also moved from a sailboat to camping. He will be sending us, specs & pictures, The 35 cardinal has 3 axles and the truck has a 7.3 liter engine, with 120,000 miles, total package $35,000. About half of what we though it would cost, so we can change the truck later,if it becomes a problem. He s selling do to age and new house.
OK lets hear it, all your though, both good and bad Capt Jim
PS. If any one would like our personal e-mail, send me your phone and I will call you, the phone system is cheaper than internet and works alot better.
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

You cannot go wrong with the 7.3L engine. I maintain a fleet if F350's on the side, they have had 15 .....7.3 L trucks and currently have 7. The highest mileage one had 275,000 miles and the youngest has 65,000 miles. They are just about bullit proof, the only downfall is that they stopped building them in mid 2003. Since then the trucks have come along way with comfort and features but as you said you can upgrade later. Those trucks will always sell well, we have a 99 f350 and dont miss the features of a newer truck, can I ask the year and details of the truck Im sure somebody will mention exhaust brakes and how the newer ones come with them, as far as that goes, if you feel you need one you can add one but we have all been doing it without one for decades
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Hi The truck and camper are both 2001 and were purchased at the same time, they took the rig to Alaska and back and had no major problems.

Well after 20 years I am boatless, the deal was final this morning and money in the bank, it is a story I will tell when we meet some day. Things are happen too fast, the owners of the boat we stay on & taking care ofsent e-mail to, they will be back early December ( one month early) we have a lot to do before then, looks like we will be in the US mid December. Did I say I hate cold weather! The owner of the Cardinal in SC said we could go there and move in now, how about that? All this has happened in side of three weeks, divine intervention?Oh we had a good cry today, but must look forward. all for now, CAPT Jim
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Jim and Norma, congratulations on the sell of your boat. It sounds like everything is coming together pretty quickly and you'll be starting the new year in a new lifestyle. Keep in mind there is a rally near Memphis in April if you'd like to get together with a group of fellow Cardinal owners.

Rob
yellowbird

Post by yellowbird »

If you are at all interested in a new Cardinal, you might check with Berryland Campers in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. They have several Cardinals in stock now of all different floorplans and also have a few Blue Ridge by Cardinal units. They are good people to do business with. I have purchased 3 different Cardinals from them and have been very satisfied with the sales and the service i've recieved. They usually have a few used Cardinals also. The owner also has a used automobile operation, so he might be able to help you with a truck. Just another option you might consider. Good luck!
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

GREAT folks at Berryland! We stopped in there a couple of years ago when we were ''in the area'' and they were very friendly and allowed us to look at ALL of their Rigs and did not stand over us while we checked each one out. I fell in love with one... but we will keep ours till HECK freezes over, as we really like IT, too! (and NO payments! LOL!). Good luck in your quest, Jim and Norma! Donna and Dennis
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska