New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

The sailor

Re: New members, new to RVing, new to land living

Post by The sailor »

Hello to all that have responded to our many questions. This is Norma of the sold sailing vessel Mi-Lady. I of course,I am use to being the admiral of the ship :d and am wondering if this will carry over to RVing since I'm clueless about everything on land. It was a huge learning curve when we bought our boat and I can see I have another learning curve to negotiate. This time though, Captain Jim knows nothing and can't lord it all over me and say "It's a learning curve dear". For once we can learn together.

I am so ready for an easier life style. Am very excited to meet other RV'ers. I really don't have any questions to ask but did want to make a statement to all of you who have been so helpful and gracious. Thanks again and I hope I get meet you wonderful folks soon.
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

Norma...learning curve is very gentle and easy. I had never been in an RV in my entire life (except to look at for sales or my uncle's) until August of 2010. Spent a week in a rented class C and knew 2 things: 1) I did NOT want a class C and 2) I REALLY WANTED an RV. In September my brother's friend needed to sell his 5th wheel and truck due to health problems....one look and I was sold. My husband needed 2 looks, but he quickly agreed that this one was for us. We knew nothing about 5th wheels! Fortunately, the seller was patient and helped us through some sticky parts when we called him (how do I light the oven)! Then I found the Cardinal Club...what a life saver!! Just reading through older posts gave us answers to questions we didn't know we had! And meeting in person at rallies was even better!
We currently live in ours full time since our son and his family are living in our house until they can find something they want to buy. As Chief of our 2person crew, I have it easy! "honey, the tanks need to be emptied" and "honey, it's time to see some other part of the country...would you hitch her up and drive?". LOVE IT =)) =))
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
honker

Post by honker »

Hi guys, I was looking at my newest Trailer Life mag and I saw a 2008 36LE for sale. I don't know the floorplan of that model but I'm sure there is a member who does. In the mag. it also has a website of RV's for sale across the US. Might be worth a peek. RVS.COM. The price of the 2008 was 29,995 the stock #SRV18321. Good luck on your search.................. :) ....Karen
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

8) Millie, I'm so use to being the Admiral I'll probably keep that title, but chief sounds good to me =))
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

The sailor wrote:8) Millie, I'm so use to being the Admiral I'll probably keep that title, but chief sounds good to me =))
Sharon prefers I call her "Her Majesty"! :d
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

I LOVE that!! LOL Tell "Her Majesty" HI for us!!!
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Jim, I would do a detailed inspection of the frame above the three axles looking for frames cracks. We are always talking about frame stress causing cracks above the axles, the more axles you have the more stress is applied in tight turns.
Manufacturers prefer to increase axle ratings then to add additional axles these days, you will have six tires, bearing sets, brake sets, spring, etc. to worry about. Toy haulers still use three axles due to the extreme loads users put on their trailers.
I would go with two heavier designed axles,wheels, springs, etc. while reducing your maintenance and worries.

Here is a list of just a few used units I found that may fit your needs, campers are like boats and require maintenance and will put you on the side of the road waiting for tow just as a boat will.
My thoughts are find a deal but a problem free deal!!

http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/rvin ... ?id=866157

http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/rvin ... ?id=828650

http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/rvin ... ?id=903938

http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/rvin ... ?id=907871

http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/rvin ... ?id=797897

http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/rvin ... ?id=895574

http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/rvin ... ?id=875855
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Hi Olbird Thanks for the info. we do appreciate any and all advice, I am still going to look the SC rig over, as the price is great, yes we will have a good look!! Jim :-B
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Nice avatar guys! :thumbrt:

Rob
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Rob & Cathy wrote:Nice avatar guys! :thumbrt:

Rob
That is one nice looking "ketch".
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Hi She was easy to sail and balanced well, we have seen her doing 9+ knots, not so easy getting the picture on this forum, I had to have help, it seems all my pictures were way to big. We will leave it there for a while, then move on , thanks Capt Jim
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

One statement and two questions from the Admiral. Her majesty is very appropriate :thumbrt: I have one mini poodle and will acquire a toy poodle when I get to NC. Can anyone tell me how strict these RV parks are. Rico, my mini, is always under voice command. Will I still have to keep him on a leash. How can I excersise him if I have him on a leash. He loves to play fetch and ya can't do that on a leash. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. We are also into picking up after our dog. After being dock masters at this Marina and cruisers coming with dogs and not watching them, I get real cranky if you don't pick up after your animal X( . 2nd question, how many of you travel with your pets? Maybe I shouldn't ask that question but would like to hear from a few of you who have pets. Thanks, just call me an Admiral without a boat. That was hard to watch her sail out of this harbor.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

The sailor wrote:One statement and two questions from the Admiral. Her majesty is very appropriate :thumbrt: I have one mini poodle and will acquire a toy poodle when I get to NC. Can anyone tell me how strict these RV parks are. Rico, my mini, is always under voice command. Will I still have to keep him on a leash. How can I excersise him if I have him on a leash. He loves to play fetch and ya can't do that on a leash. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. We are also into picking up after our dog. After being dock masters at this Marina and cruisers coming with dogs and not watching them, I get real cranky if you don't pick up after your animal X( . 2nd question, how many of you travel with your pets? Maybe I shouldn't ask that question but would like to hear from a few of you who have pets. Thanks, just call me an Admiral without a boat. That was hard to watch her sail out of this harbor.
We travel with a Jack Russell and a Rat Terrier. RV parks are strict on leashing your pets and we've learned to work around that. I have a long small rope that I carry along while walking a dog on the leash to the most open area I can find where I switch to the long rope, the dogs have gotten used to that rope and run circles around me and limited fetch with the rat terrier. We also stock small fuzzy light-weight balls and a tug rope in the camper and play with those on poor weather days. Another trick is finding campgrounds with off leash dog runs, yes they are out there. You will also note with 2 dogs they will tend to entertain each other, a little sit on the floor coaxing usually ends with tired dogs.
As full-timers for 5 yrs we've learned to work around the boundaries and you will too.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
R & D

Post by R & D »

Dog lovers here :d ...BUT we at this time only have 2 cats. They travel with us everywhere. Not much help for you about the "leash laws" in the campgrounds. I'm sure a few of the many dog owner members will be along shortly :O3 :d
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

Most parks have leash laws and most require a 6' leash. Some parks have "pet areas" that are fenced and you can let the dog run. It is always required that you pick-up after your dog. There are always some people that don't. We have some campgrounds here that do not allow pets, and one campground has some camping areas in the park that are no pet areas. Our Dauchund has always been on a leash so it is not a problem. We have left the RV park and found an area to let the dog run. When you see all of the dogs in a campground you will be glad that they have leash laws.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW