Communications on the road

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

mikenmarge

Re: Communications on the road

Post by mikenmarge »

We use Verizon and walkie talkies. Have had good service with Verizon in most areas when others
Could not. When traveling with friends, the wallow talkies work great.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

mikenmarge wrote:. When traveling with friends, the wallow talkies work great.
We've also found the FRS radios work great when traveling with friends.

Rob
mikenmarge

Post by mikenmarge »

Sorry about my typos. I'm using my Droid "Smart" phone and it sometimes changes my words to a completely different word. BTW, sometimes if you are in a no service area, the cells don't work to communicate with your friends. So the walkie talkies make sure you can get through.
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B I have to think about something for a day or two, FRS is a new frequncy? I have not heard of it before.
do these walkie talkes come as a headset with voice activation for hands free operations? What is the power and range, what would be the cost? If I wanted to look on internet, what brand is the best?

I know, Norma says I over research ever thing, just back habits :shock: Jim
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

The sailor wrote::-B I have to think about something for a day or two, FRS is a new frequncy? I have not heard of it before.
This is from Wikipedia Jim:

The Family Radio Service (FRS) is an improved walkie talkie radio system authorized in the United States since 1996. This personal radio service uses channelized frequencies in the ultra high frequency (UHF) band. It does not suffer the interference effects found on citizens' band (CB) at 27 MHz, or the 49 MHz band also used by cordless phones, toys, and baby monitors. FRS uses frequency modulation (FM) instead of amplitude modulation (AM). Since the UHF band has different radio propagation characteristics, short-range use of FRS may be more predictable than license-free radios operating in the HF CB band.

They're available everywhere Jim if you decide to go that route.

Rob
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Hi guys i'm back.......after a couples hours on the net, I am looking at the FRS walkie-talkies, made by Midland # GXT1050VP4, sold by Best Buy for $66.99. They come with head sets for hands free operations.
Has anyone used them or know anything about this item. I read the reviews which tells me that about 20% of the people that purchased them, hated them, mostly because they would not reach 35miles like the ads say. Some people don,t know, my VHF on the boat was 25watts, and it would not get out 35 miles. Any help would be nice, @-) see you guy down the road..............Capt Jim
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Hi did any body see this last post? does any one have an opinion? Thanks Capt Jim :?: :?:
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I have a less expensive set and they have only a 1/2 mile straight line range but they were only purchased to communicate when parking the trailer in a campsite. We have used them when traveling with other people and they worked okay. There is probably someone who has the set you are looking at but simply have not been on the website since you posted!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Jim, don't buy them for the 35 miles they advertise. The BEST you're going to get out of any of the FRS radios is 3-6 miles and that's under ideal conditions.

Rob
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

We bought an inexpensive set at a truck stop ... I think about $20. Since we plan to only use them for positioning the 5th, long distance wasn't a factor. Might start with something in that price range, and if you find you need more, then upgrade :thumbrt:
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Thanks guys, that is what I wanted to know, will check at the first truck stop for the $20 set. We are getting verizon phones, the old people type with big numbers, I sure appeciate the help. Two more weeks and we start for the USA, I think this old man may be getting excited. Capt Jim :bounce: :bounce:
quailhunter

Post by quailhunter »

My wife and I both have cell phones---she just calls me, I put the phone on speaker and lay it on the console and she directs me while I am backing. No need for the walkie talkies.

Quailhunter and Granny