Communications on the road

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

The sailor

Communications on the road

Post by The sailor »

:-B Communications

1. Cell phones, What company and plan do you guys recommend to get good country wide service

2. radios, Do any of you all use CB radios for member to member communications

Out here VHF and SSB are a must, thanks Capt Jim
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Re: Communications on the road

Post by sew2bhappy »

Cell phones...most everyone will have a different opinion on this. Husband and I are currently on Sprint....but mostly because we have had pretty good coverage where we have travelled. And because we have had the same plan for about 10 years, we can't get a better price anywhere.

We communicate with others with our cell phones...to me they are easier to use than CBs. We do have a set of inexpensive walkie-talkies that Ron and I use when arriving and departing - much easier then trying to yell at each other!!! =))
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

We have AT&T, once again had them for years so when we went full-time just kept them. We've had very good luck with coverage with a few exceptions like where we are now, but nobody has coverage out here (10 miles up the road no problem as we are between 2 mountain ranges). That being said Sharon's phone actually rang last night and she had a one minute conversation before the call dropped.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I have had AT&T, Sprint and now Verizon. I find that Verizon works best overall for us, in all areas of the U.S., rural as well as metropolitan. We go to remote desert and mountain areas and off the beaten path, and Verizon is there for voice and data, plus in Canada. The others frequently dropped calls or had no service when we left the major population areas or left the Interstate Highway corridors. Verizon has free calling to other verizon cell phones and friends and family plan (no matter what their plan) so you can call them free if identified as frequent callers. It keeps cost down. I was totally frustrated, out of sorts, and out of service with the other providers.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
gatekper
Cardinal Owners: 2001 32 XL triple slide
[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char054.gif[/img][/url]
nights camped in 2011 143
nights camped in 2012 80 and counting

Post by gatekper »

Like most say it is a matter of preference and opinion. I had AT&T but left them for difference of opinions on thier customer service. We now have Verizon which has been great on our 4 months of traveling(plus most all my family use verizon so I dont get charged to call any of them). I like it when I dont have WI FI I can use my phone to get out and most times we have good service. (this was sent by the cell phone over the internet)
Dale T & Anita K
U.S.N. Ret Image
2001 32 XL triple slide
2003 F250 crew cab Power Stroke
nights camped in 2011 ...198 nights
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We've tried a number of different cell phones and now we are using Verizon. I think they have all improved over the years. We also us Verizon's hot spot for our wi-fi and like it, especially when we are in an area that has 4G.

At one time we did use a CB, but not in a few years. Truckers are on channel 19, but the language gets bad, channel 13 is for RVing and if you get another RVer to talk to you it great information.

We still carry our old VHF handheld Marine radio with a scanner. It's fun to listen to boaters when we're by water.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

We have Verizon because we spend a considerable amount of time in kind of isolated areas in New Mexico and they have the best cell coverage there and pretty well every where else we have traveled. I will say it does not work on the Valley floor at Yosemite NP though.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Don Wilson wrote:We have Verizon because we spend a considerable amount of time in kind of isolated areas in New Mexico and they have the best cell coverage there and pretty well every where else we have traveled.
Ditto. :thumbrt:

Rob
R & D

Post by R & D »

Another verizon user here :d We also have walkie talkies on board also. I do believe that they have probably saved a few members marriages =)) Great for your spouse helping you get backed into a site :thumbrt: when needed.
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B No Problem Dayna, I will just fit myself a drink and watch her back it in :ymdevil:
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

The sailor wrote::-B No Problem Dayna, I will just fit myself a drink and watch her back it in :ymdevil:
Please let me know how that works out for you. :joke:
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Well she can dock the boat with out hitting to hard, have not busted a fender yet, but they are large. :ymdevil:
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

8) Since I've been the Admiral all these years, maybe I should set ya'll straight about docking the boat and who bent what coming to the dock. You might ask Capt Jim, who bent light pole and tore the dinghy off the davits one year when we were in the Bahamas. Also, for those of you who are interested, the only time we usually get upset with each other is when anchoring. Capt Jim has a detached retna which has interferred with his depth perception and is hard of hearingr so when I have the helm and he sees a great place to anchor and I just know we will be too close to the next boat, I say no, no, no we need to go further over he does get a little testy :evil: So I let him have his way and down goes the anchor and when the boat pulls back on her anchor and heads into the wind, we are within kissing distance of the next boat. That's just a little too friendly for me. :)) I do have to be honest though. There was never a better Captain or navigator on the water than my Honey. We just don't see eye on anchoring and never will. Hope backing the camper up will be easier on us than anchoring. The walkie talkies is a great idea and I will sure purchase a set. :d Ya'll know who this is right?
JDennis
Cardinal Owners: 33 RLBW

Post by JDennis »

Hi Jim & Norma--

Welcome to the club---have been away (not onl) for a little while--have seen a few of your posts and will admit to being a little envious of your past lifestyle---I am sure you will enjoy the new one as well--This old country of ours has a lot of beauty and interesting places--

Thought I would join in and "echo" some comments regarding "communications"--The wife & I each have a Verizon Cell Phone--for communication with each other when apart (not quite "fulltime"; but no landline at home)--and "free" between family & friends---Have a Sprint "hotspot"(up to 5 devices) for internet/data--use FRS(Family Radio Service) "walky-talky" for parking or communicating between rigs if traveling with others in close range---Have "hand-held" 40 Ch CB with Weather Channels for monitoring Ch 19 / 9 / etc. and weather---also, can use "wifi-hotspot" for computer (email/etc) when mobile (travelling)--

You indicated that you might make the "Memphis Rally"---we are not signed up yet; but have it on "planning sheet", as we will be on "left coast" during Spring/2012--Maybe we will see you there--

Travel Safe & Enjoy !!

Jim & Pat D
2003 Cardinal 5th Wh (33 RLBW); Mor-Ryde Hitch
2003 Dodge 3500 LB DRW-5.9 CTD HO/48RE
Gauges(Pyro,TransTemp,Boost);
Firestone Air Bags;Garmin GPS

2009 194 Nights
2010 170 Nights
2011 227 Nights
2012 142 Nights
2013 60 Nights
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Cell phones for both of us, CB with Upper and Lower Sideband capabilty (still haven't got it mounted in the new truck), laptop and a aircard for when there is no WiFi, like now.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.