Fuel Stops

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

The sailor

Fuel Stops

Post by The sailor »

:-B Anothr question for you guys, this truck I am buying (maybe) has a 38 gallon tank, so many stops. Do you stop only at truck stops , some and stations have low ovehangs, also some have limited turning area. What say you CaptJim
Rob & Cathy

Re: Fuel Stops

Post by Rob & Cathy »

There are publications such as The Next Exit and Exit Now that will show RV friendly stations and there are some web based sites.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Well my truck is a bit bigger than most so I do use truck stops (also did with a pick-up) as they are set up for tall vehicles with trailers. In the pick-up days I also often unhooked in the afternoon and took the naked truck for fuel anywhere. Another tip is to look for Flying J truck stops as most have a RV Island next to the car pumps. I try to plan where I buy fuel with http://www.dieselboss.com/fuel.htm click on the gas pump icon RH side of page for prices throughout the states & Canada.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Rob & Cathy wrote:There are publications such as The Next Exit and Exit Now that will show RV friendly stations and there are some web based sites.

Rob
Those books are good if you are driving on a freeway but 2/3 of the roads in the U.S. are not freeways and are not listed in those books. And if you are in California north of LA they only cover 10% of the roads.

:d :d Can you tell I don't think they are very good books.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
campswithcritters
exempt member

Don Wilson wrote:
Rob & Cathy wrote:There are publications such as The Next Exit and Exit Now that will show RV friendly stations and there are some web based sites.

Rob
Those books are good if you are driving on a freeway but 2/3 of the roads in the U.S. are not freeways and are not listed in those books. And if you are in California north of LA they only cover 10% of the roads.

Don
Exactly why I did most of my refueling unhooked in my pick-up days Don. Now I have the range to wait until I am crossing a major highway when backroading, or fuel up before I hit the backroads. I did have auxiliary fuel tanks in my last 2 pick-ups which helped greatly, but I don't think I ever recouped the cost except in piece of mind.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Jane and I like to drive on back roads whenever we can, in fact we like the journey better than the destination. We've not found it hard fueling up even in small towns. I do have a card on our visor with all the measurements as a reminder of where not to go.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B I just don't want to get to the point where a have to drop the camper ever time I need fuel because I am afraid I may hit something or need 40 acres to turn around. =))
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Don Wilson wrote:

Rob

Don
True, what resources do you use Don for the for those 2/3 of the roads?

Rob
R & D

Post by R & D »

Jim... I always "bail out" at stations to watch and make sure we can clear it. You really do get used to it :d
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

The sailor wrote::-B I just don't want to get to the point where a have to drop the camper ever time I need fuel because I am afraid I may hit something or need 40 acres to turn around. =))

Remember the first time you docked your boat? It was scary. RVing is easier, if you think you are in trouble you can just stop, get out look around and figure out what to do. Not so with your boat, if the wind or current have you there is no time to stop and see what to do, you just need to react. Go to a large packing lot, put out some markers and practice backing, turning and get the feel of your new rig. From that you will be able to tell what station you can get in and out of. In most cases, not always stations that sell diesel have more room to get in and out of.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Rob & Cathy wrote:
Don Wilson wrote:

Rob

Don
True, what resources do you use Don for the for those 2/3 of the roads? Rob
Rob
Like Bruce I use Diesel Boss but also do a google search called cheapest diesel (Modesto Ca) for the area I am going to be in. It brings up the stations in the area and gives you the price and the address of stations.

When I am planning a long trip like Mt Rushmore or Yellowstone I sit down at my computer weeks or months ahead of the trip and put together a list of all the truck stops (Flying J, Loves etc) listed on diesel boss as to what exit they are on and the mileage from one station to another even if they are not a planned stop. I also do a mileage chart for all cities on the route so I know how far each is from one to the other and how many hours driving time between each city. I then put them together in sheet protectors and put them together in a small three ring binder so I have easy access to it in the pickup.

Then usually the day before departing I get the prices at each of the stops for that days travel and include them on the sheet in my book.
I also do a list with RV parks which we plan on staying at but I also include backup RV parks in case the one we want to stay at is full.

I have already started working on Branson and Moab for next years rallies.

Martha tells me I am anal but it works for me.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
campswithcritters
exempt member

Wow Don, I think I'm taking Martha's side on this one. Seems extreme, but if it works for you more power to it. I look before each trip at the fuel prices in all the states I will (or might) go through (sometimes we change routes mid-trip just for fun). I note those states with lower fuel prices and try to buy there along the way, every night or 2 I look for those stations where I either want or need to buy fuel. On the RV Parks we just call one day ahead to be sure they have a space and it will fit a BIG rig (rented 2 sites on one occasion, one with hookups and one for truck without hookups as there were no big rig campgrounds in the area). For in-season holidays we try to figure where we'll be and call a week ahead to check availability.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Don Wilson wrote:Martha tells me I am anal but it works for me.
LOL, I'm the same way Don. I actually enjoy the research and looking for side trips. I do use the mentioned publications as an additional resource especially on long trip when most the time seems to be spent on freeways.

Rob
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

:-B Wow, guys you sure know how to take the fun out of it, sounds like an ocean crossing, waves, weather,arrival timed for day light, harbor charts, I though I was leaving all that planning behind and just go have fun. Do need to try to stay out of problems, should I take my flares & life jackets. :)) Capt Jim
dpalmer
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 3456

Post by dpalmer »

Well I'm like Don I enjoy the planning as much as the trip. Since I have a V10 and a 30 gal tank I look for gas every 200 miles. Not all truck stops will accommodate my unit at their gas pumps. We look for pumps that are parallel or diagonal to the station and an exit. Have not had a problem with overhangs but we do watch. As we do our planning I do look at Google Earth to see the configuration of the station, just kind of fun :D
Dave & Karen
2018 3456
2021 F350 XLT, 4x4 Dually
Rallies Attended = 22 and 3 F.R.O.G.
Full-time as of 10/1/2016