So much closer to being fulltimers

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Secondhand Mike
Cardinal Owners: 2004 Cardinal 29XL

So much closer to being fulltimers

Post by Secondhand Mike »

Well the wife sold our king size bed and kitchen table and chairs today. The house is beginning to look as if it has been burgularized. We still have so much to sell or get rid of before the house closes; which is expected to be around August 15. We went to the county park tonight with some friends and showed the bird to them and just got to know it a little better. It was nice just to sit inside it and talk with friends.Getting rid of so much of our stuff is making Cherryl a little sad; but she is ready to see and do new things and so am I.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Long Bed 3500
6.7 Cummins Turbo 4x4 Dually

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Re: So much closer to being fulltimers

Post by bop11 »

Good luck with selling all of your stuff!

Keep us posted on your comings and goings. Pictures would be great.

Check out the Rally section if you can make one they are a good place to learn lots of things about your Cardinal as well as meeting a bunch of great people!

It would be great to meet you folks down the road someday!
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Secondhand Mike

Would love to me all the club members. I really enjoy this site and the helpful members. I have been on Photo bucket and tried to do my Avatar, but I am having trouble using it. I seen Mike's instructions but still cannot figure it out . It may be because I am using a IPad. I am not sure.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

In a month we will have completed 20 years fulltiming. Obviously we like it. In reflection on getting rid of "Stuff", we always are reminded of Janis Joplin's song "Me and Bobby McGee" when she sings, "Freedom is nothing left to loose." Getting rid of "stuff" makes you more free for sure. Another place for great information on fulltime RVing is www.escapees.com where they have lots of various forums and folks willing to share or give opinions. Happy travels Mike and Cherryl. :thumbrt:
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

bilmorvn wrote:In a month we will have completed 20 years fulltiming. Obviously we like it. In reflection on getting rid of "Stuff", we always are reminded of Janis Joplin's song "Me and Bobby McGee" when she sings, "Freedom is nothing left to loose." Getting rid of "stuff" makes you more free for sure. Another place for great information on fulltime RVing is http://www.escapees.com where they have lots of various forums and folks willing to share or give opinions. Happy travels Mike and Cherryl. :thumbrt:
Bill , where are you and Mo now?
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Secondhand Mike

Well today we had the carpet, sofa and chairs cleaned by a very good independent cleaner. This guy cleaned the carpet on his hands and knees. Looked great when he finished. We waited for it to dry and started moving some things in and making it look like our future home. We had intended on moving it to the camp ground Thursday, but we have a friend who works for the county park who said we could stay for awhile longer if we wanted. Might take him up on the offer and camp there a few days and make sure everything works correctly before moving. The dealership is on the way to our campground if any issues are found. Electric and water is free, but no sewer connection. Can we travel to the campground if our black or gray tanks are full? It is probably 50 miles to the camp ground.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

Mike, you probably can travel with your tanks full, BUT one of the first things you need to do is weigh your bird. Water is heavy (think it is 7#/gal). Would make sure your fresh water tank is nearly empty. When you look at your unit's carrying capacity, it is sort of a wag from the factory and doesn't included the weight of many of the unit's options.

Tom, we are currently in Portland OR. Have a Rescue Reunion this weekend and am looking forward to seeing a lot of the old guys. Will go to Mt. St. Helens on Sat and most of the folks going were crew members who flew there when it erupted. We have a guy from USGS who has just finished his book on the events of the eruption, etc.--it has only taken him 33 years :d
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

bilmorvn wrote:Mike, you probably can travel with your tanks full, BUT one of the first things you need to do is weigh your bird. Water is heavy (think it is 7#/gal). Would make sure your fresh water tank is nearly empty. When you look at your unit's carrying capacity, it is sort of a wag from the factory and doesn't included the weight of many of the unit's options.

Tom, we are currently in Portland OR. Have a Rescue Reunion this weekend and am looking forward to seeing a lot of the old guys. Will go to Mt. St. Helens on Sat and most of the folks going were crew members who flew there when it erupted. We have a guy from USGS who has just finished his book on the events of the eruption, etc.--it has only taken him 33 years :d
:thumbrt:
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
Secondhand Mike

Well I am now considering Cherryl and I as being fulltimers. Of course I am still working, but she has retired. We are living in our Bird fulltime, but still waiting on the house to close. We love the coziness of the bird. We have not had any issues other than having to level it after it settled for a couple of weeks. Yesterday was a little warm inside, with the outside temps at 90 degrees, but was not really hot inside. We are just used to the air in the house I guess. Campground is fairly full due to the holiday. It was really hard deciding what to bring with us and we are still eliminating things to give ourselfs more space. All in all we are very happy and excited with our decision.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Congrats you guys!! Keep posting on your new lifestyle and the things you learn along the way. :d
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

We spend winters and summers living in ours. I am constantly removing "stuff" I thought I needed that's never been used! And I have to be careful buying groceries. Instead of buying 6 of something, I have to make sure I buy only 1 or 2. I am always taking things out of my cart and putting them back. =))

We also got rid of the couch (ours wasn't all that comfortable) and that gave us some room to put in a nice oak file cabinet that is also used as end table and some other storage. And I think those additions weigh less than the couch! We read a lot and so we took the light off the wall of the big slide and put in a small bookcase Ron built. It is sized for paperbacks and we pick up books from garage/estate/library sales where we are, tHen donate them when we are done. We also use our iPads for books, but since you can't buy used books for 10 cents our purchases are limited.

And to help with AC and heat, remove the fabric batting from around the door (those buttons are snaps). Then add insulation to the big gaps you will find! I was standing next to our door one cold windy day and realized there was a lot of cold air coming in from around the door! Much better now.

Hope some of this helps!
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
Secondhand Mike

sew2bhappy wrote:
And to help with AC and heat, remove the fabric batting from around the door (those buttons are snaps). Then add insulation to the big gaps you will find! I was standing next to our door one cold windy day and realized there was a lot of cold air coming in from around the door! Much better now.

Hope some of this helps!
I removed the fabric batting today and I seen what you where talking about. A huge gap for cold air to get in. I took some foam sleeves and cut them to fit in the gap and replaced the batting. Thanks for the info. I should be a little warmer now. The wife makes me sit next to the door, so I do feel the draft.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

Glad to help. I had put one of those Mylar sheets (emergency blankets) over the door one time. Didn't do much good since the wind blowing through the door just blew it away! And I make my husband (rplato) sit closest to the door, too :d
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4