Banks

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Re: Banks

Post by Big Bird »

The Bank of Wal-Mart has limitations since the ABA (American Bankers Association) does not want Sam to have a full service bank. The concern seems to be that Ole Sam will do to banking what he did to Sears, Penny's and others. For convenience we use a Flying J RV card to avoid the hassle of retail pumps. We find they do not split prices as much at the wholesale pumps and prefer to pay with our AMX card. (We get 5% back at year end. If the merchant does not like AMX we use a Visa card. We also carry a BOA debit card (everyone takes a debit card) and never carry more than $200 in cash.

The best fuel saving tool we have is Sirius Radio with the gas station add-on that tells us miles in advance of where fuel (diesel) is available and at what price. If you use cruise control Sirius only gives you stations on your route.
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Its interesting the different ways people deal with this. We find cash at fuel stops works best for us. I have two visa's and a debit but very seldom use them unless I have to use them for an emergency. I guess in some ways we are still old school, right or wrong. For fuel prices I use gas buddy and I never fill up the truck with the trailer on so in most cases do not use truck stops.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
honker

Post by honker »

We bank at a credit union, which we love. I can use any ATM machine anywhere for cash, if they charge me a fee the CU reimburses us put to $15 a month in fees. We too prefer to use cash as well, but do use the debit/credit card for fuel. Makes it easier with a card.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well forgot I have a small loan with B of A so no problem and no limits other then money in the account on my debit card since I am a customer. :d All is good.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Mike here is information about banking with Wal-mart. After reading it, it doesn't look like something that would help out much while traveling.

http://business.time.com/2011/11/08/wou ... t-walmart/
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

I pay our bills on line and use the MasterCard for most purchases and expenses. Like Millie I will buy something at Walmart and get $100 cash back when we need cash. For fuel I have a Walmart/Discover card that I use exclusively for fuel. I have not found a difference between cash and credit prices at most fuel stations, only place I've seen them advertised is the truck stops. If I can fuel up at Walmart I get a discount of from $0.05 to $0.15 per gallon depending on whether they are running a promotion or not. Either way it's usually the cheapest place to fuel up, if Walmart does not have fuel I use the Walmart/Discover card at any other fuel station, that way all my fuel charges are on one card which I pay off every month. The Walmart/Discover card is a "no fee" card AND I earn cash back which they send me in the monthly statement once the earnings reach $10. Having the debit card available is sure much better than having to write checks and it's accepted most places now days. I have the pilot/Flying J card that I used on the trip to Memphis and Elkhart last year, but as someone else posted, they have become a higher cost fuel stop, but with the card I get $0.08 off the "cash" price so if I need fuel and they are available and are competitive I'll stop there.
One of the best things going is to have all your income direct deposited to your bank account and being able to check your account on line.
One thing to consider, some petroleum companies will put a hold on your account if you use the debit card to purchase fuel and I've heard of people's card numbers being stolen off gas pumps. Our debit card got compromised when we were in Florida in 2012. Seems the processing company's computer got hacked and a bunch of numbers were stolen. The thieves made new cards and by using the debit card as a charge card hit our account for $1500 at Walmart on one day, fortunately the bank's fraud dept caught it and contacted me. We canceled the card and the bank covered the charges, NOT a fun experience.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
bilmorvn
Location: We're fulltimers and have never been physically to our address in Madison SD! Will get there probably when we renew our DL. Try to stay not too warm or cold. Usually go to Mexico in the winter which we love. Will gladly answer ?s about full timing or Mexico.
Cardinal Owners: Have a 2008 35 SB. Had ordered exactly what we wanted and then had to cancel since they changed floorplans. Wanted the W/D in the bathroom, not bedroom. Have some problems, but we love the layout. Have made many modifications including larger windows in small S/O, furniture, cabinet work, 46" TV.

Post by bilmorvn »

Have found that most truck stops charge at least 20 cents/gal more than other near by stations. However, many of them aren't good if the Bird is in tow. Gas Buddy is great and usually very current. Several truck stops don't have RV islands and you have to pay inside which with our credit card voids our 5% back for pay at the pump. Have been seeing price differentials of more than 80 cents between the price of regular and diesel. Just paid $3.59 for diesel in Clinton MS.

We use two banks. USAA is our main bank, but then we have a "local" bank in Madison SD. (Any vet can become a member of USAA.) When we were traveling a lot in Mexico, often their phone lines would only work for one of the cards. We have set limits on our debit cards, but with a card each and two banks we can take out a fair amount of money in a day, if needed. We also use the "cash back" at Walmart and other places to avoid fees.
BillMoRex&Princess
Fulltiming since 8/93
2008 35 SB/ 2006 Chev Duramax
chiefly1

Post by chiefly1 »

My bank pays me back for the ATM charges each months so I don't worry about using some other bank's ATM. USAA is wonderful that way. For gas I use whatever card gives me the most return. Most times that is Discover but I use Cabbala's a lot as well.
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Bill: WELCOME! on the bank thing: we use Cabellas for fuel, as well and hubby got a bit over $200.00 credit points by the time we got home from Alaska a month ago! But WHAT A TRIP!
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska