High Cost of RV Travel....?

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

david_iona

High Cost of RV Travel....?

Post by david_iona »

Angie and I are planning a trip back east to cover the New England states and some extended time in Washington DC/Boston area in a couple of years. In discussions with our friends who do not RV questions come up about our plans to take the fifth wheel and truck considering the cost of fuel these days. All argument aside about the positive merits of Rving over motel/restaurant travel (i.e. your own bed, friendly neighbors in the RV park vs. no name neighbors in the motel, ect…ect…) it would seem to make sense financially to take the car and stay in motels. However, I use a small spreadsheet I built several years ago to monitor the cost of taking the RV/truck or the car/motel travel mode. When plugging the info into the spreadsheet for an extended trip it is very assuring to see the financial benefit to justify our preference to travel by RV/truck versus the car/motel. We bought the RV to enjoy in our travel plans and the fuel costs the last few years have not changed our preferred mode of travel. The picture of the spreadsheet shows significant savings on a 60 day trip and the dollar savings go up with added days of travel. The dollar amounts are just guesses as to what it might cost per day based on previous travels for us the last couple of years. Just thought I would share this for what it is worth. Dave

Trip Estimator:

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Re: High Cost of RV Travel....?

Post by Olbird »

Don't put the cost of the RV & Truck into the sheet or cost of repairs and maintenance.
I could travel around the world until I die many times a year, but I enjoy camping.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Same here, George!

And Dave, we have also found that staying a Week at most RV parks is less expensive than just a day or 2.. most have a price break for the whole week's stay.. And most of the time, we eat most of our meals in our RV - I like to cook, and that frees up more of our travel $$ to eat a special meal out (SEAFOOD, or other local specialties), and we like to explore whatever the area has to see in the way of scenery, or wineries, or other points of interest... We pretty much plan ahead (by a day or 2 ahead) what each new area has to offer, to decide if we WANT to spend more time, or if we need a 'rest break' for that week!!!!!! - for laundry, for instance!
And your numbers are not far off, from our experience... !! But, like most of us: Some day we know we will not be able to DO this traveling thing forever... so we are trying to cram as much LIVING in our LIVES as we CAN... So do it NOW!!!
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

We try to stay at a home base for longer periods to get the cost break and to explore that area. Some do not like staying in one place for very long but we enjoy it for our needs. We do not always need to be on the go to enjoy ourselves.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
jayandflorobin
Cardinal Owners: 34QRL fifth wheel

Post by jayandflorobin »

Ditto Mike....
Jay, Flo and Bitsie and Mitsie our little Chi girls...-34QRL fifth wheel
2010 Dodge Ram Diesel
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

With an extended trip of several weeks that is where the savings come into play. A week at an RV park greatly offsets the cost of a week at a motel. I know most of us prefer the travel and comfort of our RV over motel and that is why we have made the investments in our recreational vehicles. I find that once in awhile it is reassuring to run some numbers to compare the options for travel. Some people say you have to add the initial cost of the RV and truck into the travel costs but that is part of the life style Rvers have chosen for travel, besides those same folks do not add the cost of the car into the motel travel. I do not consider RVing a high cost option of travel.....it is a very enjoyable economical life style with travel options.
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Another way we have found to keep the cost per day down is to try and use Campground America Campgrounds, especially when we're on the road. Some haven't been much to look at but for $15 to $20 a night for a 10 hour lay over sure helps.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Chief-e9
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3100RK

Post by Chief-e9 »

Being retired from the military we stay at campgrounds on military bases whenever we can. It costs a lot less, most of them are really nice, and it always brings back memories.
Vickie (Retired RN), Roy (Retired AF) Baxter the Shih-Tzu (RIP Nov 2014) Bella Mae the Shih-Tzu (RIP Aug 2021)
2011 Ford F-350 Long Bed Crew Cab Diesel
2010 Cardinal 3100RK