Tire Pressure Monitors

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Re: Tire Pressure Monitors

Postby WVcampers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 am

I have the TST. I also lost a wheel with the system in service. I can tell you for sure that it will not alarm when it loses a signal from one of the sensors. I am pretty sure that none of the systems out there will alarm with signal loss. They have a built in delay. Evidently they often lose the signal from a sensor, so if they alarmed every time the system would be worthless.
When I had the wheel and tire come off it was probably an hour before I got an alarm. The tire was damaged and lost all of the air pressure. Because the signal was lost the system did not give me a low tire pressure warning. I retrieved the tire and wheel from the Interstate the next day and the sensor was destroyed. I talked to TST and they explained the design to me and the reason for the delay. TST sent me a whole new system with no charge to me.
Randy & Carol
Annie Mae and Elbie (weiner dogs)
2008 30SB
2011 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat
WVcampers

Postby BMullins46 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one whose had tires come off the trailer. Hopefully you were as lucky as I was with no damage to the trailer other than the axle and no body being hurt by the flying tire.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000 suspension (the Mobile Cabin)
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Meg & Betty
Nights camping
2016-4; 2015- 142; 2014- 108; 2013- 89; 2012- 111; 2011-102;
BMullins46

Postby EAW » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 am

Just scuffed up the plastic fender when the tire came out. The wheel came off of the right rear and must have went into the ditch as far as I know. The lug bolts all snapped off and the front axle and wheel carried the weight without damaging the rear brake drum. :-o
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT w/Centramatic wheel balancers and many mods.
2007 Classic GMC Sierra K3500 SWR w/DuraMax, Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." unknown
EAW

Postby WVcampers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Lost mine on I-77 about 8 miles from the house. A wheel bearing went bad and I lost the tire, wheel and brake drum. Had some serious damage. I replaced the axel, and some of the J panel. It was dark, and I thought that I had a blow out. I was prepared to put the spare. It was a surprise when I looked at the camper with all of the damage and the wheel gone. I was able to get the camper home. I went back the next day and found the wheel and tire leaning against the guard rail. I guess that it didn't hit another vehicle, but I don't know how it got to the guard rail. The wheel was from the left side of the camper.
Randy & Carol
Annie Mae and Elbie (weiner dogs)
2008 30SB
2011 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat
WVcampers

Previous

Return to Towing Discussions