Pin Box Adjustment

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Re: Pin Box Adjustment

Post by dfredendall »

As you handle/wrestle it you will see why the box crushes in shipping. It should really be in a crate or on a small pallet. Have fun and don't crush yourself installing it. Inspect the airbag for damage. The rest is tough stuff.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

John, first I hope you have someone to help you! This is definitely a two person job. I have done a King Pin changeout on two rigs. Getting the old one off is not as easy as you think. When putting the new one on, pull your tailgate under the mounting section and use that to help position the new KingPin. I found that putting a little bit (not very much at all) of lubricant on the mounting frame helps to slide the new KingPin into position but I still ended up using a heavy hammer to help "convince" the new King Pin to mount. Finally, check the Torq on the bolts after one tow to make sure they remain tight.

I sold my old KingPins on craigs list without two much problem although I only got about $250 for them.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I know Forest River changed over to Mor-Ride pin boxes, that's great they save a few dollars but the increased stress on the pin box frame during the Up / Down movement will cause problems sooner or later.
I know FR will disagree and the frames should be able to take any road stress, however the heaver the pin weight on these large trailers the more help this area needs to protect OUR investment.
Any type air ride system will dampen the up & down shock on the frame and will work, you can use a air ride hitch, and any brand air pin box will do the job, air bags on the truck does not help this area much.
The Mor-Ride is great for forward and backward movement but that movement does not stress the frame much, just the riders and drivers.
Flex any metal over & over and cracks will show up, John your trailer will thank you for the air ride pin box in all the areas you do not see.
This is not just my opinion, this is the type industrial design issues I have worked with everyday on a larger scale for 43 years.
First signs of most will notice is the sealant joints around the front on the full paint packages will show cracking in the paint because the the sealant will flex but the paint will not.
Once the paint cracks it is very hard to fix.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I agree, but until Lippert changed or changes the weight the trail air can carry it was not doing much good. My last pin box air bag would not hold the weight. Now when I had this trailer built I wanted the trail air but decided to wait until I saw what I had for the weight of the pin plus what Lippert came up with. So long story short you are correct but in my case with my last pin box and pumping a bag to its max air pressure and having to run the fresh water tank 2/3 full was not my idea of fun.

From what I understand it has all been corrected and I will proceed with what I will do soon.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Mike, have you considered going with a air ride hitch, then you have the best of both worlds, Mor-Ride for forward and backward movement and the air hitch to handle up and down to protect the frame from stress while given the trailer a floating ride.
Are you still using your same truck hitch or did you replace it long ago.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Same hitch newer head. I may need to go that route. Mine came out empty with a 3,000lb pin weight. So I'm sure I'm around 3,400lbs.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

The BD3 air hitch is very nice, but if I remember correctly it's almost 3K and I don't think you'll be taking it out of the truck without a few friends as it's pretty heavy. With that said, if we were traveling a lot I'd probably spring for it as I've read nothing but good things about it.
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Well a friend, his son and my #1 nephew came over today and helped me put the new pin box on. As everyone stated, it was HEAVY #:-S

I've got 9" of clearance now, but I bet I'm running a bit nose high so I'll probably drop my hitch to level it out some. I'm pretty happy to have the extra room and I'm looking forward to my pull to Jackson now.

I'll probably get the tonneau cover back on as well.
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

I hooked up again today and threw a level on the center island to see how things look. With the rig parked between two houses I can't really get a good eye on if I'm riding really high on the nose. The bubble was just a bit off level, and Laurie said that's fitting since I'm a bit off level too, so I think I'll leave it alone until I get to Jackson and see what some of you all think. I can definitely drop my hitch if I need to come down some and I think I'll have plenty of room to put the tonneau cover back on. I must say I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together and I'm not dreading some of those California I5 bridge abutments as much.
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Well my trip to the Jackson Rally let me get a good look at everything all hooked up and I was definitely running nose high. Once I pulled into Jackson it was confirmed by a number of attendees that I was probably at least 4" high and that it'd be squared away before I left. Well on Friday just about everyone grabbed tools and jumped right in and we raised my pin box and leveled me out. It was quite the adventure and took longer than any of us thought, but I'm definitely in a better position. I want to thank Dana, Brad, Rodney, Bob, Don, Mike and Monty for pitching in. This is just another example of how the Cardinal RV Club is the best and the members are some of most generous and best people I know.

In addition to moving my pin box up we also swung the junction box from the outside of the hitch into the hitch itself. When I got home I had plenty of clearance between my bed rails for the tight angled entry into my driveway.

Thanks again everyone :thumbrt:
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

Was Monty the foreman? :bounce:
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

Isn't this the best club?!!?

Curious - what did Monty do? I know he's Don's navigator, did Don teach him to fetch tools since last summer?
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

sew2bhappy wrote:Isn't this the best club?!!?

Curious - what did Monty do? I know he's Don's navigator, did Don teach him to fetch tools since last summer?
Quality control :d
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

jtaylor1920 wrote:
sew2bhappy wrote:Isn't this the best club?!!?

Quality control :d
Of course! #-o
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

You have to remember Monty is the sheriff and is very busy patrolling and keeping Don in line.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32