Edge Insight CTS

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

jtaylor1920

Edge Insight CTS

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd post up some information I recently learned from an open support ticket with Edge Products and my Edge Insight CTS Monitor. Although Edge has recently released a software update to their product line the Edge Insight CTS will not be updated to support any of the new 2016 truck models. They system will support the following trucks and model years, as per an email from their support team:

Powerstroke 94.5-2015, Duramax 01-15, Cummins 03-12

Tech support let me know the new CTS2 line will support the 2016 trucks, but I'm not about to drop another $400.00 and explained that to them as the unit I purchased is only 2 years old. I will keep my current model as it will at least give me EGT's, Soot Level and Regen Status which are some of the items I can monitor (there are lots of PIDS you can monitor even with the older CTS), but I will miss monitoring transmission fluid and transmission temperatures when towing. I'll just have to rely on the dash gauge for transmission temp, but I've noticed engine operating temperatures and oil pressure don't exactly match the Edge so it will be close, but probably not spot on as the Edge would be as it is reading directly from the ECU.

I don't know how the older Insight works with the newer Ford or Ram trucks, so if anyone has any experience please chime in.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Edge Insight CTS

Post by Mike Clay »

Figures! I watch my trans temp and let the truck computer do the rest. I do miss seeing when I am in regen but not to worried about anything else. I like you will not drop 400 for a new one.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

Hey, if they continue to support new truck models they cannot sell, sell, sell new Edge products. It is tiring for sure. "Obsolete" is my new legal middle name. The older I get the more I hear that term. :cry: I never have difficulty knowing when my '08 Ford is doing a regen. The exhaust sound changes pitch, and it seems to always do it when I am approaching and pulling a long uphill grade. I lose no power per se, but exhaust temp certainly goes up, so I have to ease up on the throttle, hence losing power on the pull. I monitor it on my aux EGT gauge. It always finishes after I cross the summit and head down hill where power is no issue. Go figure. I consider it a design "feature". :evil:
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

When your towing with the new GM's you can't tell unless you stop and see the idle is up or you start to lose a little fuel mileage. This truck goes about 750 miles when towing before a regen.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Secondhand Mike
Cardinal Owners: 2004 Cardinal 29XL

Post by Secondhand Mike »

On my 08 I have never been able to tell when it is in regen.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Long Bed 3500
6.7 Cummins Turbo 4x4 Dually

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Without the monitor I can't tell when regen starts on my truck now. There is no appreciable change in engine sounds like my previous truck and instead of doing a regen every 185-210 miles it's about 400-500 miles unloaded. We ran from Hillsboro to Jackson without an active regen and we started a regen a bit after pulling out from Jackson so it must have close to 700 miles.

As for Edge you are spot on Dana. It's all about getting people to buy a new one and I'll stick with my old one until it doesn't work anymore and evaluate options at that time. For those of you with Fords there is a great app you can buy from the Apple or the Android store called Forscan and for about $20.00 you can have a great monitoring tool.

The trucks do a great job of monitoring themselves but the geek in me loves a good gadget :d
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I think mine regens more often now for a couple reasons. At 163,000 miles, I am reaching the end of the expected life for the diesel particulate filter (DPF) which is married to the catalytic converter. Both have a life of 200,000 miles +/-, so I have read and been told by the shop who "baked" my DPF earlier this year. A new DPF from Ford is $1200. A new Cat Converter is priceless. They say figure $3500 for the pair. As they break down, the back pressure increases and regens are more frequent. The Ford has a message appear on the dash (if you catch it) telling you when it will happen, plus the other signs I mentioned, like approaching uphill grades. :D If I can get two more years on it I will look at the new generation diesels everyone is developing. I am not anxious to be the first buyer of a new engine like I was with this one. The new ones are so quiet, smooth and strong it is tempting. No wonder you cannot tell when they regen.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Towing you get a passive regen because of the temperatures that are generated by towing heavy. My average is always been 700 to 750 miles.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Secondhand Mike
Cardinal Owners: 2004 Cardinal 29XL

Post by Secondhand Mike »

When I first bought my truck I treated it like a baby. I had never owned a diesel. The guys I worked with were a lot younger than me and they made fun of me driving it so carefully. I started having check engine light coming on and then it would go out for a long time and come back on. The guys told me to start running the heck out of the truck and use the exhaust brake all the time. They said I was sooting up the vanes in the turbo. I started running it up higher in rpms before shifting and at times I drive it in fourth or fifth gear for several miles. Since doing that my check engine light don't come on. I think that my problem was I was not towing enough and just driving it to work and grocery store was not good for it. They are meant to be worked.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Long Bed 3500
6.7 Cummins Turbo 4x4 Dually

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3