Hitch suggestions

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

KWW

Hitch suggestions

Post by KWW »

We just ordered a new 30RKLE :D this week and I am looking at a new hitch to go along with the new unit. My truck is an "03 Chevy 2500HD, ext. cab, long bed, with the 8.1 Vortech and Ally transmission towing an '04 Sandpiper model 31RLB with a Reese 15K standard hitch. I would like to sell the hitch I have and am looking for advise as to which hitch to consider. Of course after this purchase I am being conservative about the cost but want a decent hitch for the long term. I am sure the air ride units are great but not sure if I can layout that kind of money. What do you think?
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

Welcome to the club! You are probably going to get a lot of differing opinions on the best hitch, but I can assure you that you have come to the right place if you like good, honest, concerned discussions instead of BS. A lot of nice people, too.

I decided on the Pullrite Super 5th with the Super Rails. The latch surrounds the kingpin and seemed to me to be the best engineered without spending a fortune. With the Super Rails, I can take the hitch out in less than 5 minutes and have a completely smooth bed floor.

See you on the road!
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I've had both the hitches suggested above. As Cardinalman says the lil rocker is easiest to ensure lockage, however after about 40K miles the slide bar was getting pretty worn. Rather than move the hitch to my new truck and get a new slide bar, I opted for the super 5th as it's design should make it last longer, and it is definitely quieter (no fore/aft play). Only thing is now I must do a pull test to ensure proper engagement. I went for the standard install kit on the super 5th because my trucks only job is pulling the bird, I'll only take it out once a year for close inspection. Both are quality units and both work well.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")