Exhaust brake

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

tschmalz

Exhaust brake

Post by tschmalz »

Recently installed a Jacob's exhaust brake on my 2005, Dodge 2500, 6 speed manual. What a difference this thing makes when you are traveling in the mountains. I used to be a "white knuckled" driver worrying about the brakes on my truck and trailer after a long down grade. Not anymore. You just turn it on, let off the fuel and it does the rest. I would recommend anyone pulling a large rig with a diesel needs to put one of these on.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I agree exhaust brakes work very well with manual trans, had a pac brake on my 05 Dodge. If you have an automatic be careful, even without an exhaust brake my 07 Chev with Allison auto tends to get hottter downshifting by itself on a downgrade than it does climbing a similar grade. If you have an automatic and install an exhaust brake make sure you are monitoring trans temp. With a manual they are an awesome piece of equipment just be careful with an automatic.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Have a pac brake exhaust brake on my Dodge auto trans and it works great.No temp change on the tranny to speak of.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
campswithcritters
exempt member

Shields wrote:Have a pac brake exhaust brake on my Dodge auto trans and it works great.No temp change on the tranny to speak of.
Could be a difference in auto trans properties, but have heard some factory gauges take an average of what's going on and report that while an aftermarket direct read or other factory gauge reports differently. I am only reporting my own observations on my own truck, definately don't want to start any truck wars. All the big three gas or diesel will pull and slow a trailer within their limitations. To each his own.
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I understand that. My tranny gauge is aftermarket, and I believe the Dodge tranny is simpler than the Allison and may not show as much temperature effect. I also have the dastardly Bully Dog on my Cummins and later this month we will be traveling South Dakota, Colorado, Utah so I imagine that the tranny will get a workout and I will know better what it does under a real load.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
campswithcritters
exempt member

Shields wrote:I also have the dastardly Bully Dog on my Cummins and later this month we will be traveling South Dakota, Colorado, Utah so I imagine that the tranny will get a workout and I will know better what it does under a real load.
All three of those states have good transmission and exhaust brake test areas! Try to wait as late in the month as you can as a lot of people are out right now getting in that last summer vacation and crowding up the campgrounds. Enjoy!
lapriester

Post by lapriester »

campswithcritters wrote:I agree exhaust brakes work very well with manual trans, had a pac brake on my 05 Dodge. If you have an automatic be careful, even without an exhaust brake my 07 Chev with Allison auto tends to get hottter downshifting by itself on a downgrade than it does climbing a similar grade. If you have an automatic and install an exhaust brake make sure you are monitoring trans temp. With a manual they are an awesome piece of equipment just be careful with an automatic.
The torque converter slippage is what kills you and causes temp problems with an auto and an exhaust brake. There are electronic add-ons that will solve the problem by keeping the TC locked with the EB engaged down to certain speeds rather than allow the computer to control it normally. Those upgrades are a MUST when an exhaust brake is installed on an auto truck or you risk premature TC failure and high temps.

Larry 8)
flyinbullmax
Cardinal Owners: 2006 Cardinal 31RK LE Fifth wheel
Skype ID: N/A

Re: Exhaust brake

Post by flyinbullmax »

Hi, I was wondering where is the best place to get this installed, wich brand is better and how much does it cost?

There is Banks, Pac etc...
I just bought a '03 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4speed auto trans with 170000kms on it. Dono if there is or there was an exaust brake on it. Is it safe to put one at this stage of its life? I'm a little confused about it.

Thanks
JP
'06 CARDINAL 31 RK LE
JeanPierre & Chantal
and Rosie the dog
Member of MAAC 78165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Again you need to be careful putting one on with the auto transmission. I always used the jacob brake on my manuel trans Dodges and they worked great. Check pac brake and Jacobs and do some research on them.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

The exhaust break and tow haul mode are both available as factory installed features on my '11 Dodge Ram 3500. You can monitor the Transmission temp on the center display.

We have had no issues to date. We've been as far west as Colorado Springs and as far north as Wisconsin. Of course we live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, so no matter where we go we have got some hilly terrain, lol.
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

I had a Banks unit installed at Camping World. It ties in with the transmission computer control and work great. The Pac unit was used as a factory option on the 05 & 06 Dodges. I am considering having an after market transmission temp gauge and an exhaust gas temp gauge installed on my truck so I can keep an eye on them.
Bill
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
campswithcritters
exempt member

BMullins46 wrote:I had a Banks unit installed at Camping World. It ties in with the transmission computer control and work great. The Pac unit was used as a factory option on the 05 & 06 Dodges. I am considering having an after market transmission temp gauge and an exhaust gas temp gauge installed on my truck so I can keep an eye on them.
Bill
Bill, It was a Jake that was factory but not a traditional Jake as installed on OTR tractors. The Dodge Jacobs exhaust brake consisted of an engine mounted vacuum pump and exhaust flapper valve. The pac consists of a small compressor and an exhaust flapper. I had an 05 that I put a pac on (6 spd manual), was a new truck so not too bad a task rusty bolts on the elbow coming out of the turbo might make it more difficult.
I know the pac required a different transmission controller computer if it was automatic to keep the torque converter locked up during use to prevent heat build-up, not sure if the Jake needed the same but would guess so.
To OP (original poster) as you are Canadian, please call Pac-Brake as they are up there in your neighborhood for info on that product, on the Jacobs I am not familiar so call them for info, I know they made an aftermarket kit but thought it was 04 or 05 before they had the deal with Dodge to do factory install.
snoking

Post by snoking »

flyinbullmax wrote:Hi, I was wondering where is the best place to get this installed, wich brand is better and how much does it cost?

There is Banks, Pac etc...
I just bought a '03 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4speed auto trans with 170000kms on it. Dono if there is or there was an exaust brake on it. Is it safe to put one at this stage of its life? I'm a little confused about it.

Thanks
JP

170000 is over 105K miles. I would be looking to have the tranny freshen up by some one the really knows them before putting an exhaust brake on it.

Give DTT a call at 1800-504-4002. They are in BC, Canada and really know their Dodge trannies. They can give you the correct guidance. The stock torque converters in these year Dodges was not that well matched to the engine anyway. I had DTT build a towing tranny at 32K and now have 97K on the clock. Tows great! I put a Banks 4" turbo mounted exhaust brake on my because my step son was a dealer for Banks at the time. If I was starting out again I would install what they call a inline exhaust brake that is not tied to a give turbo configuration.

Also the 2003 48RE tranny had a couple weak points that should be address if it has never been touched. You may even have a 47RE if it is a very early 2003 unit. Again DTT can help you figure that out. I would not even think about towing my 12.4K 5th wheel with a Dodge auto without an exhaust brake, as they have almost no hold back on hills without one.

Now if I could just fine someone with a low mile 2006 to early 2007 5.9 six speed manual 4x4 long box, I would think about upgrading my TV.

Chris
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Thanks Chris, I must be getting old could not remember the names of the suppliers I used for the Dodge trucks. Only name that kept coming to mind was Piers and I could remember the tranny wars when people moved to different companies but that was it. :oops:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers