Tailgates, Wings and MPG

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Tailgates, Wings and MPG

Post by Chief409 »

I'm considering taking off the tailgate, and perhaps getting a air deflector/wing.

Has anyone noticed any difference im MPG with either when towing?
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I seen somewhere that test have proven the wings really do not work. Dont know about the tailgates towing but you get better MPG with the tailgate on while empty.
Last edited by Mike Clay on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Myth Busters performed an experiment to test gas mileage with the tailgate on or off. They found better mileage with the tailgate on. However, they found the tailgate nets gave the best mileage.

For the best mileage towing I suggest keeping your tires properly inflated and most importantly slowing down.

Rob
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I was just thinking about how, now that the leaves are dropping and filling the bed, they really swirl around when the trailer is on, eddies use energy and I'm wondering if the airflow would be smoother without the tailgate while I'm towing.

As for the wing, I was wondering if it might help keep some bugs off the front cap, and it'd be a good place to place a large decal of my "fouled anchor". A MPG gain would help too :D .
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I have towed with a tailgate and a slotted tailgate and never noticed a real measurable difference. I like the slotted tailgate because it is easier to back into the hitch with it. But stuff will blow out between the slots.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Well, I think I'll leave things alone. The tailgate is heavy, the wing costs money, and I'll take the easy route.

Thanks for the answers.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I had a wing, but ditched it when I bought the Cardinal. My bird has the extended pin box and sat too far back to be effective. With my former rig (short pin box) I did get 1 mpg better with wing than without (2000 mile test 1000 with 1000 without) and could feel more effective power in a head wind (ie lower EGT and boost). Bugs: do you want to clean them off the camper or clean them off the wing? They still leave a mess!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
lapriester

Post by lapriester »

Chief409 wrote:I was just thinking about how, now that the leaves are dropping and filling the bed, they really swirl around when the trailer is on, eddies use energy and I'm wondering if the airflow would be smoother without the tailgate while I'm towing.

As for the wing, I was wondering if it might help keep some bugs off the front cap, and it'd be a good place to place a large decal of my "fouled anchor". A MPG gain would help too :D .
They would be worse.

L 8)
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

I ditched the idea for the wing. It would of been cool for putting my insignia on, but that was it. Not worth the cost.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Travelers

Re: Tailgates, Wings and MPG

Post by Travelers »

Curious if there's been any updates?
I have a crew cab short box and found a simple wing for $125. The frame is on suction cups with tie downs to the door openings. The angle is adjustable. The actual wing is fiberglass. Cleaning bugs off the wing would be far easier than the rig.

Thanks
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

I used a wing when I went to SC, I got 1.5 mpg better than without on my Cedar Creek. I will most likely buy one with all the travelling we do. As for tailgates, I build my own from a factory gate with power latch so it can't be stolen.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

What do you build for a tailgate? any pictures?
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Matt,
I sent you a PM

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Jim&Peggy
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 30LE

Post by Jim&Peggy »

I have both a slotted tailgate and a wing. I don't think the wing does any good on a long bed except to keep most of the bugs off the front of the rig. I think the wing would be more effective on a short bed, but have no experience with it. As for the tailgate. to me , it makes sense that high speed air could pass more easily through the slots rather than have to flow up and over the solid tailgate. Too bad we don't have a wind tunnel available for testing!!! Regards----Jim
2005 Cardinal 30LE--2007 Dodge 3500 Heavy Duty --6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel with Jake Brake and 5th Airborne Fifth Wheel Air-ride Coupler.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I bought a slotted RV tailgate when I bought my present TV because I knew that one day I would ding the original OEM gate up when either hooking up or unhooking and the slotted V gate is much cheaper to replace. Also a lot lighter as well and when you consider the pin weight of today's 5ers, every less pound you carry counts.