Best TV for 15,500# AND 5 people AND stuff??

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

oh brother :lol: :roll: :shock: :P
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:Don

The Ford was pulling the Fifth Wheel, the Dodge, the Chevy and drying the street with its exhaust flames.

Thats Power!
And that's standard equipment..

Rob
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Don

The Ford was pulling the Fifth Wheel, the Dodge, the Chevy and drying the street with its exhaust flames.

Thats Power!
Obviously they were on a 7% grade downhill! :D
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Al,
I am always joking trucks, I like all of them but I like any one of them even better when any of the top three are giving $10,000 of the sticker at time of purchase.

$10,000 off consider it sold, if this country don't get the fuel prices down a little we going to see some big rebates coming again.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
PlaneNuts

Post by PlaneNuts »

That sounds like truck buyin' time! :D Seriously, though, do they usually rebate the HD trucks? I would imagine the best you could expect with a rebate would be something in the realm of an 1 ton dually that's on the lot.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

A local Dodge dealer here in Central California has reduced the price on the 2500 and 3500 several times this year by $10,000. I am sure with the economy taking a down turn there will be some great deals on vehicles coming along very soon.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Kamiki

Trailer Weight

Post by Kamiki »

You might want to also check on the drivers restrictions. Out here in Cal if your unlaiden trailer weight is 15500 and up you need atleast a non comercial class A license.Not that anybody gets checked for one.
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Hauling that heavy, you might also want to check into medium duty truck (MDT). There is a lot of infomration in the MDT forum on the Escapees web site (www.escapees.com). The folks over there are very helpful and given what you will plunk down in $ for a F-450 or 550, the MDTs are within the same ballpark.

We also have the 36-2BH and tow with a 2006 Dodge 3500 dually but we don't have the extra hear you intend to use and we generally travel light. I am comfortable with our setup but I know I am limited in the extra weight I can bring and can't max out the trailer's carrying weight because I will be over the total truck limits.

James
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I got $10,000 of mine, I had no trade-in dealings just stright $10,000 of the factory window sticker.
They do it from time to time and I agree if sales start going down here in the next few months the big three will do some thing to sell autos and trucks.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

More than 10K off the sticker here as it was model year change over time.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
PlaneNuts

Post by PlaneNuts »

My main concern about an MDT is that this will be our only vehicle. Not too thrilled about driving a "rig" to the store for groceries, out the movies, etc.

jamespatrick4 wrote:Hauling that heavy, you might also want to check into medium duty truck (MDT). There is a lot of infomration in the MDT forum on the Escapees web site (www.escapees.com). The folks over there are very helpful and given what you will plunk down in $ for a F-450 or 550, the MDTs are within the same ballpark.

We also have the 36-2BH and tow with a 2006 Dodge 3500 dually but we don't have the extra hear you intend to use and we generally travel light. I am comfortable with our setup but I know I am limited in the extra weight I can bring and can't max out the trailer's carrying weight because I will be over the total truck limits.

James
rvlost

Post by rvlost »

We towed the 36-2BH for 11 months across 40+ states with 2 kids and a dog with our F-550. Lots of people told us the 550 was overkill and a 350 would be fine, but we wanted to be safer than sorry. The F-550 was great (bought it used on e-bay) -- it handled the towing with no problem and was very roomy and comfortable for traveling (rear seat even folded flat for a bed for the kids). Ours also has the Chariot rear end package which made hitching easier and provided lots of storage compartments for DH's tools and stuff. With our accessories and gear for a year, we had the 5er at its weight limit and tried to store heavy tools etc in the TV to save some weight in the 5er.

Negatives were it was a little big for me to drive to the grocery store, tolls were sometimes expensive, and when we were sightseeing parking was sometimes an issue. Overall we love the truck.