Best TV for 15,500# AND 5 people AND stuff??

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

dave_in_delaware

Best TV for 15,500# AND 5 people AND stuff??

Post by dave_in_delaware »

Hello everyone. Since I'm still shopping for my RV and TV, I'd like to get everyone's opinions about the proper tow vehicle for what I'm planning on doing.

Here are the stats: The Cardinal LE 36-2BH that I'm interested in weighs in at 15,500 lb GVWR, and then I'll have 2 adults and 3 kids in the pickup, and I also plan on adding a 35gal fresh water tank, gas-powered generator, fixed storage boxes, and of course the hitch to the pickup bed.

I'm not brand-loyal; I just want the RIGHT TV for the job.

What sort of truck do I need to handle all that weight? And, what kind of engine and transmission would be best?

I'm already assuming I need a dually (DRW) and something in the size of a F350/3500HS (depending on brand), and I want an automatic transmission, and a longer bed (so I don't have to mess w/ a sliding hitch), and a four-door cab for the sapce for 3 car seats/boosters in the back.

Let's hear your suggestions! And, if you are towing the 36-2BH already (or something close to a 15500 GVWR), let me know what you're using!

Thanks everyone!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I agree with Cardinalman, if fully loaded up you will be beyond the (legal) capacities of both dodge and gm 1 ton GCWR. Ford F-350 with all the tow boss stuff would be extremely close to legal limit. Go with F-450, F-550, or a medium duty. It can be done with a 1 ton, but not really safely traveling across the country.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

That's good advice from Bruce and Charles. I wouldn't go with anything less then an F-450.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

If you don't want to go with the F450 the 2008 F350 properly equipped with 6.4 TD, 4:30 LS, 4x2, etc can tow up to 18000#.

But like the others said the F450 will give you an even greater margin. The F450 can go as high as 24500#.

Rob
dave_in_delaware

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm not planning on traveling across Country with it. Probably at most (for now) would be up to a 6 hour drive. I'm not fulltiming or retired, so I still have to stay close to "home" for my job and kids.

So, from what you've all said, the 350/3500 size of truck would be maxed out w/ all the weight? So a 450/4500 size would be better?

What is the difference in prices and gas consumption w/ a larger TV than a 350/3500?

I think I'm getting confused w/ these poundage numbers. Are they only what the truck can tow, or are they combined (truck+RV+stuff) weights?
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

GCWR – (Gross Combination Weight Rating) this the weight of the truck + trailer + everything you put in the truck and trailer (you, your family, fuel, water, etc)

GVWR – (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the amount you can safety tow.

You should never exceed either. The numbers everyone is quoting is GVWR, maximum trailer weight.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
dave_in_delaware

OK, so Rob & Cathy's response that said "The F450 can go as high as 24500#" that would be GCWR then, right? And the 18000# number was GVWR?

I think that makes sense.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

dave_in_delaware wrote:OK, so Rob & Cathy's response that said "The F450 can go as high as 24500#" that would be GCWR then, right? And the 18000# number was GVWR?
Nope, 24500# is the max 5th wheel trailer weight. The F450 has a GCWR of 30,000# when equipped with a 4.88 rear axle. The GVWR is 14500#.

Here's a link it you may want to check out for a review: http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/FordSuperDuty/

Rob
PlaneNuts

Post by PlaneNuts »

Hi all,

I am going through this decision process as well. Same trailer, in fact.

To clarify what Wayne said, I thought that GVWR was the total allowable weight of the vehicle in question. The truck and the trailer will both have these ratings. I concur with his definition of GCWR.

To figure out how much you can safely tow, you have to know what your truck weighs fully loaded, as well as the GCWR. Let's say your truck weighs 10,000# and your GCWR is 33,000#. Based on those numbers, you cannot tow more than 23,000lbs. For the F450 example, I would guess the max trailer weight of 24,500# is based on the curb weight and the GCWR.

As I understand it, the important thing is to stay within the GVWR, but you can't just load the truck and trailer up to the GVWR and be safe. The GCWR is the maximum load that the truck can safely control. It's clearly a balancing act!

The Ford review has some good reference numbers, but the GCWR numbers don't apply to both the F350 and 450. Here is a more comprehensive reference:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_ ... 9Aug07.pdf

I welcome any corrections to the above. I'm just learning all of this, and hope to share along the way!
campswithcritters
exempt member

Breaking news for those near these high weights, you now have a Dodge option. For 08 they are now selling 4500 & 5500 dodge chassis cabs which can be outfitted with a towing bed to meet the high weight of some of the new campers.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

campswithcritters wrote:Breaking news for those near these high weights, you now have a Dodge option. For 08 they are now selling 4500 & 5500 dodge chassis cabs which can be outfitted with a towing bed to meet the high weight of some of the new campers.
Now were talking, thanks guys great info
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member

Phil, If you plan on full-timing in your rig it will get heavy very fast, so look into the 450 type tow rig, if you will be weekending and vacationing you can find a 1 ton that will handle it. In my own case (full-timing) I am only over the GCWR of my combo by 100lbs with full fuel (75 gal total with aux tank), including a trailer weighing 15,190lbs (motorcycle hanging off the back, full propane, 1/3 tank fresh water, etc, etc.). My tow vehicle takes up 8400lbs of 23,500lbs GCWR due to the fact I have tool box, aux fuel 2 adults and 3 pets. Our "home" is very equipped and loaded with everything we had as homeowners. As an aircraft mechanic I carry a huge amount of heavy tools. Some of the best tow vehicle info (weights versus trans, eng, rear end ratio etc) can be found in the trailerlife 2008 tow vehicle ratings guide on the trailerlife.com website. Estimate heavy then add a bit for tose things you didn't count on, you can save a later expensive upgrade by chosing a tow vehicle that will do it the first time so be careful. Good luck with your choice.
PlaneNuts

Post by PlaneNuts »

Thanks, Bruce! If I had my druthers, I'd get an F550 hauler. I've poked around and seen a few pre-owned for under $40K.
Don & Judy

Post by Don & Judy »

I,m also looking for a new TV. After lots of research I have pretty much decided on a F-350 dually with the new 6.4 diesel. I'd love to have a F-450
but it's really spendy. My plan is wait one more year and get a used one.
The F-350 is rated for more weight than the GM or Dodge. The F-450 has
no real compeition. Interesting find, Popular Mechanics Dec/07 did a 3way
Fuel (MPG) test on the 1ton's..F-350, GM & Dodge 3500 diesels UNDER TOW..The results were.GMC Duramax 6.6 10.5 mpg, Dodge Cummings 8.70 mpg and Ford's new 6.4 was 7.60 mpg. Which can make alot of
difference in $$ down the road.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Don

The Ford was pulling the Fifth Wheel, the Dodge, the Chevy and drying the street with its exhaust flames.

Thats Power!
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW