Can I pull a 07 Cardinal 37RL with a short bed 1 ton Dodge?

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Rondo

Can I pull a 07 Cardinal 37RL with a short bed 1 ton Dodge?

Post by Rondo »

How would I determine the bed length needed to pull my fiver with. I am looking at the new Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab with a 6.25 foot bed in it versus the 8 foot bed.

Is this doable or do I have to have the 8 foot bed?

Thanks for your help
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Yes it is doable, but you must be careful of clearance from nose of trailer to back of truck cab. If the trailer is equipped with a long pin box extending well beyond the nose of the trailer it will be fine. If not you will need a sliding hitch either manual or a pull-rite superglide. The manual models require getiing out of the truck to activate while the superglide does it automatically once the trailer is more than 16 degrees out of alignment with the truck. I think they also now make something called a side-winder which will allow clearance to turn sharply. I previously owned a superglide and was very happy with it, but it is pricey. Do a little research on the trailerlife/rvnet forum, you will find lots of reviews on products there. If you like or need a shortbed get one, if size is not important the longbed will tow anything.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hey neighbor, I had a short bed truck when I had my TT. I missed having a long bed truck when it came to hauling lumber, gravel, etc. Also, with a long bed you have a lot more room between the hitch and cab for carrying bulk items with the 5th wheel.

Rob

PS, I wonder how many members can properly pronounce your city.