Enhancing Performance

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

tortuga

Enhancing Performance

Post by tortuga »

I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Deisel and automatic tranny. My trailer weighs about 14000 lbs. loaded and I travel some in the mountains of Utah and Colorado. I know that I want to install an exhaust brake but what other performance enhancers should I consider. Please list them in what you consider their order of importance or where I can get the most bang for the buck.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

My last truck was a 2005 5.9 cummins Dodge (traded it because the wife wanted an automatic). I towed over 25,000 mi with it. My findings were: 1 ditch the factory muffler, either straight pipe it or put a good flowing muffler on it (straight pipe too loud for me but a banks exhaust dropped the EGT about 150 deg) 2 I used a Pacific Performance programmer which really pumped it up (I did that before the exhaust and saw EGTs way too high). 3 Many folks have put performance intakes on, I did not because of warranty issues.
Before I would do any of the above I would put a good set of gauges on it, these will tell you if you are pushing too hard with the increased power, especially if running an automatic.
Feel free to PM or email me any other specific questions, although I now pull with a Duramax I did over 50,000 miles heavy towing with Cummins powered Dodges.

PS Mike Clay also has heavy Cummins knowledge.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well if you have the new EPA STUFF like going through regen cycles and so forth I would not mess to much with the exhaust right now. Go to sites like TDR and NW Bombers to get more info. Gauges are a must before you do anything plus you will love the exhaust brake. The newer autos are much better then the older ones. Just remember the new trucks run HOT for the new EPA goodies
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I think the exhaust would not be a problem if it is a 5.9, to my knowledge they never put the DPFs on until the bigger engine.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I have the 2003 Dodge 5.9L and I put on a Bully Dog unit. Helps the towing out considerably but in the hills I tend to leave it in stock mode, as someone said the EGT goes way high if you don't. I need to do the big muffler, if this one ever wears out. I like the Bully Dog when not towing even more, increase the mileage. I thought it was bunk in their ads, but it does work.
Exhaust brake is a necessity for the hills and real nice on flat land.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Here is my 2 cents, which supports the other responses but maybe in a different order. 1) Put a good set of gauges in. I have a 2006 3500 quad cab dually (bone stock except for an exhaust brake) and my 5th wheel is about 14,500 loaded. A few months ago, we turned off the highway and headed up a steep grade on a state road in Virginia, maintaining only about 15 to 20 mph. The guy in front of me had the same truck (but a 2005) and was pulling about the same weight. He suddenly stopped and turned his flashers on. Come to find out his EGT and tranny temps were getting too high so he had to stop to cool down. I don't have gauges and my engine temp. gauge had barely moved off dead center. I don't know what damage I would have done if I kept going until my single gauge started moving higher but I'm glad I didn't find out. Point being, you need to invest in the gauges first because that stock gauge will not do a darn thing for you when pulling in areas that push those temps up. 2) Next, I would try running straight pipe or a better muffler, then 3) if needed, invest in the power boosting.

My truck has the 4.10 rear end and while i won't win any races, I don't think I will need to power boost. It's much nicer than my 2004.5 2500 that had the 3.73s. Of course, all of this is just my humble opinion.

Happy camping.
tschmalz

Exhaust brake

Post by tschmalz »

We have a 2005, Ram 2500, 5.9, 6 speed manual, and pull a 30 RKLE. I installed the EGT and Boost gauge in the A-Pillar (through Geno's) and a Jacobs exhaust brake. If you have a 2005 with an automatic I'm not sure what type of brake you can put on without voiding warranty or causing some engine problems. Before you add any performance upgrades you should get the EGT gauge. Almost all of the computer upgrades will raise your EGT and could cause serious problems. Don't rely on your engine temp. gauge. You may cause major damage long before your gauge shows a problem. Good luck, just make sure you use good resources for your research.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

The new autos alow you to put an ebrake on. As I have said many times before on this site for every action there is a re-action when it comes to mods
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

If you purchase new, definitely get the e-brake. I purchased mine as part of the new truck package had the dealer install it before i even drove it off the lot. That way the e-brake is also protected by the longer warranty of the truck itself. The e-brake is very nice when pulling these rigs. If you think towing 15,000 lbs up a mountain is hard, try keeping the speed under control going down a mountain grade without an e-brake. I prefer to limit my thrill seeking to the amusement parks.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Mike Clay wrote:The new autos alow you to put an ebrake on. As I have said many times before on this site for every action there is a re-action when it comes to mods
I agree with Mike. I have read on several Ford & Chevy sites where people have installed mods and it caused problems, then they get mad when the manfacturer will not repair it under warranty. All I'm saying is research your mods. If you put a programer on, be prepared to install bigger exhaust & intake. 8)
I'd start with gauges. IMHO That way you can monitor performance as you install others.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
tschmalz

How fast do you want to go?

Post by tschmalz »

I know a totally stock TV will pull a 13,000 lbs. trailer down the highway at 65 mph or faster, and will pull it up a decent grade at 55 to 60 mph. I'm not sure why someone would want to add equipment that will risk damage to their vehicle and possibly void the vehicle warranty. With these diesel engines pulling power isn't the problem, getting the think stopped is. Get a good exhaust brake and call it good.
rvthereyet

Post by rvthereyet »

I HAVE INSTALLED (1)VOLLANT AIR INAKE (2) BANKS 4 INCH CATBACK EXHAUST (3) BANKS 6 GUN TUNER WITH PDA AND HAD NO PROBLEM PULLING OUR FITHWHELL (312BH) FROM MICH. THRU THE MOUNAINS DOWN TO FLORIDA NEXT I'M INSALLING A BANKS TECHNI COOLER AND I'M IN THE PROCESS ABOUT CHECKING OUT AN EXHAUST BRAKE.
craig
Cardinal Owners: 08 Red Bird 35RLT

Post by craig »

I was reading about this on RV.net blog the ScanGaugeII (scangauge.com) . As all I have are standard gauges, I was woundering if anyone has this system.
Craig & Lynne
RAM3500 diesel
08 Red Bird 35RLT
Retired and Loven IT