When a 4X4 Tow Rig comes in handy...

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

When a 4X4 Tow Rig comes in handy...

Post by Chief409 »

While pulling up to a back in spot, uphill and on wet grass this afternoon I had the chance to demonstrate the benifit of having 4X4. Right about the time I had everything bent in a 90 the wheels started spinning. Put it in 4 High, and walked right around. Some bystanders said they didn't know how I did it, until I mentioned 4 wheel drive.

Yes, it costs more, and perhaps the gas miliage MIGHT be less (on this trip I was getting 9 mpg), but when you need it...
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Don't forget a 4WD weighs more reducing tow capacity and more fluids to change during maintenance. Guess I'll avoid uphill backing on wet grass. So far in 6 yrs of towing and a year of full-timing I've never been stuck or needed 4WD, I'm a fair weather traveler who avoids snow etc. Just my own opinion.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Yep, around 500# and the added cost is around $20 max when you do a 20K oil change/lube. We have to use the 'Bird year around to get the wife to medical appts, so all said, a fair trade. And I've been towing for 30 years or so.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I am a believer of 4x4 myself, had to use it several times over the 35 years I have been RVing. Of coarse a lot of those times came when I was younger and not pulling around as much money behind me. I guess it also comes down to what you use your truck for while not towing. Like the old saying goes its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Our 2nd trip out we needed our 4x4 for the exact same reason - backing uphill with about 2 forests worth of wet leaves on the ground. Apart from that though, I do think that Scott has to search high and low (forgive the pun) to find reasons to throw it in 4-wheel drive. :wink: :lol:
RedBird30
Cardinal Owners: 2007 Cardinal 30TS

Post by RedBird30 »

Mike Clay wrote:I am a believer of 4x4 myself. Like the old saying goes its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
I would have to second that thought. Used mine only twice so far, but it really paid off.
'07 Cardinal 30TS w/Colton Blue Interior
'07 GMC 2500HD Serria Classic SLT Duramax/Allison 4x4
roger5438
Cardinal Owners: 05 30WBLE

Towing DIscussions

Post by roger5438 »

Live in AK. Need it once and all expences covered. Enough said!
Roger & Sandy
Anchorage, AK
'05 30WBLE w/TrailAir Pinbox & Centerpoint suspension
'06 Ford PSD 4x4
ONAN 4300 Watt gen in tv
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Yep, wouldn't have truck without four wheel drive. I've used mine twice but like Bruce said I could have avoided both situations but since I have a 4x4 I didn't worry about.

Of course the other side of the coin is that if you get stuck and don't have 4x4 you can generally work your way out or get a little help. If you get stuck with a 4x4 you are REALLY stuck and it will take a whole lot more work to get unstuck.

Rob
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

Last Spring I was backing into our homestead with the l o n g driveway and my co-pillot wasn't watching . I guess I wasn't either . I got super stuck on my own ground with the Cardinal hooked up .I was on grass then I turned it in a rut . Yes I needed help to get out too. Luckly we have Old Yeller the Ford farm tractor . I was glad our neighors we're home to Laugh . I guess I laughed we she stuck the Motor Home then we pulled it out .
The 4-wheel sure eats up a snow drift too. Like Sunday

Wayne
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Hope you guys didn't take me wrong, I just feel a 4X4 is not required to go camping and have a good time. For my own situation I could not justify the outlay of additional initial cost, loss of 500lbs capacity is big to a full-timer, and I do not travel to areas with that cold white stuff. If I ever get stuck (grass or mud) it's time to make good sam's roadside assistance earn the fees. When it's time to play in the dirt I have a Suzuki DR650 that I can lift out when stuck!
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Yep my truck even sees wet grass its stuck :shock: darn old peg leg. Like was said above I think when the day comes that we are full timing I will probably get a two wheel drive with training wheels.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote: Like was said above I think when the day comes that we are full timing I will probably get a two wheel drive with training wheels.
I'll take that bet.

Rob
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Living in Minnesota, you don’t even think about not getting 4x4’s. We use them for more than just RVing. To tell the truth, all we really need is front wheel drive, but unfortunately pick-up’s doesn’t come that way.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Bruce,

I felt the same all my life until I moved to Washington, it is hard to find trucks up here without 4x4 and don't even think about moving here with a 2 wheel drive and try trading it in. They look at you like did you buy that thing in another world.

Also Bruce does Chevy make 4X4's. Just joking.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

The reason I always get a 4X4 is this: I grew up in Western Washington, Snohomish Co to be specific, in the '60's. And my training vehicle was a '48 Dodge 1/2 ton 4X2, with bald tires and problematic brakes. Between mud, snow, wet leaves, pine needles, LOOSE GRAVEL and slimey salt water boat ramps... SO the 4x4. Yeah 4X4 = 4 wheel stuck, used to laugh at Jeeps, but they laughed at me more often. I learned the hard way not to get into a situitation where only God can save you, and it only took a couple of (30 or 40) times!

And today pulling out, becuase I didn't feel it was proper to tear up the campground any futher, I had 4 HI selected. It's a nice campground (Delta Bay near Rio Vista, CA in the Delta), the wife wants to return and I hate cleaning mud and grass off the front of the 'Bird!

I posted a trip report on the "On the road..." topic about the campground, look for the "Nice Campground" thread.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret