When a 4X4 Tow Rig comes in handy...

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Well, about 60% of the US is now snow covered, and that includes Lincoln, NE. Pulled in a couple of nighs ago, they had the trails plowed to show you the way, but it was packed snow and ice. Spinning in 4WD but made steady progress and couldn't live without it. We don't do warm country very well.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Before I retired from the Navy, we spent 9 years in Pennsylvainia and Maine.

I'm not a salesman, but when I left Maine I actually made money on my snowblower! And I DON'T MISS NOR'EASTERS at ALL. Snow all night Friday with 50 mph winds, then you get to spend the weekend keeping your driveway clear after the plows come through.

Also, having 4X4 meant I didn't need to sandbag the bed of the truck in the winter. Back then I had a '79 Toyota SWB 4X4 pickup and was towing a 16' SerrioScotty trailer. My favorite camp spot was at the end of a Jeep trail in the White Mountains National Forest (New Hampshire). It blew the Jeep drivers away to get to the end of the trail, and see us set up. Of course their Jeep trail was a old overgrown log road to me. Didn't even need 4X4 except to back into my parking spot. :P

Be safe out there, and remember, 4X4 will get you going, but you have ALWAYS had 4X4 BRAKES.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
roger5438
Cardinal Owners: 05 30WBLE

How to Use 4X4

Post by roger5438 »

I learned many years ago with Dad's WWll Jeep.
1. to get stuck in 2 wheek drive,
2. review the needs to continue or back out of the situation.
3. shift to 4 wheel drive and extract my self from current problem
4. shift back to 2 wheel drive and continue on a little wiser.
Roger & Sandy
Anchorage, AK
'05 30WBLE w/TrailAir Pinbox & Centerpoint suspension
'06 Ford PSD 4x4
ONAN 4300 Watt gen in tv
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

When I bought mine I had the choice between 4X4 or bells & whistles (same price). Chose bells & whistles. Guess when I get stuck I'll sit there comfortably until help comes. :joke: :mrgreen:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

The most important reason I always get a 4X4 is this:

We camp in the National Forests at times and most of the roads, while generaly in excellent condition, are gravel. At times you'll have to stop for one reason or another while pulling a grade with the trailer. Without the 4X4, with the weight shift off the rear axle due to the trailer lifting UP on the hitch due to the the grade, IF you can begin making forward progress, you'll be throwing gravel into the front of the trailer which isn't much good for the trailer. Or you'll be backing down the hill. Or putting on chains. Or a 4X4 will come along and tow you up the hill. I've done all of this. With a 4X4 tow vehicle I place the selector to 4Low and ease on up the hill, without throwing bullets off the tires. And it doesn't take a steep grade to stall on. Loose gravel will get ya every time. Boat launch ramps, grass and wet pavement will do this, too. :oops:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.