Blue Ox platform for 5er

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Blue Ox platform for 5er

Post by Chief409 »

I'd like to take a ATV (Quad) along on some of our trips, but don't care for a ToyHauler, as our 30WBLE is a much better overall fit for our use. Looking around I discovered Blue Ox has something called a Sports Carrier 2 which is a platform which mounts to the rear of a 5er, with a single tire to assist in carrying the load.

http://www.towingworld.com/Carriers/car ... m#mobility

I have three questions:

1. Has anyone used one of these, if you have, what's your opinion of it.

2. Residing in California, are you required to licence the thing becuase of the tire.

3. With or without a vehicle licence being required for the platform, would it be considered a double trailer.

I emailed Blue Ox today and recieved a reply (good) which said in short: Don't know, you find out (bad). I thought they would have SOME information.

Thanks
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Re: Blue Ox platform for 5er

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:With or without a vehicle licence being required for the platform, would it be considered a double trailer.
That's an interesting question Jeff. If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I would say that it would not be considered a trailer. My reasoning would be since there is no pivot point it would be considered a platform. Of course I could be, and have been, completely wrong.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Blue Ox platform for 5er

Post by campswithcritters »

Chief409 wrote:I'd like to take a ATV (Quad) along on some of our trips, but don't care for a ToyHauler, as our 30WBLE is a much better overall fit for our use. Looking around I discovered Blue Ox has something called a Sports Carrier 2 which is a platform which mounts to the rear of a 5er, with a single tire to assist in carrying the load.

http://www.towingworld.com/Carriers/car ... m#mobility

I have three questions:

1. Has anyone used one of these, if you have, what's your opinion of it.

2. Residing in California, are you required to licence the thing becuase of the tire.

3. With or without a vehicle licence being required for the platform, would it be considered a double trailer.

I emailed Blue Ox today and recieved a reply (good) which said in short: Don't know, you find out (bad). I thought they would have SOME information.

Thanks
Jeff, Ive seen this addressed on the trailerlife.com forums. I don't know individual state laws, but one of the responders stated it was considered an extension of the trailer as there is no hitch pivot point (i.e. front end is rigid mounted to the trailer). He stated that he had to move his trailer plate to the platform and it was not considered a double tow. I have just recently mounted a motorcycle carrier to the rear of my fiver and will find out by next weekend any adverse effects from that. My only concern with the platform would be it's length possibly trying to hold up the rear of the trailer coming into or out of fuel stations with raised lots and such.
If you will be wiring into the trailer for lights on that unit PM me, I have a couple tips.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Without ever seeing one of these, just the pictures, it appears to have hinge points where it folds up when not in use, however there is no information if it locks down, or it is allowed to "flex". If it "flexes" a concern would be mounting it far enough out from the trailer so the ATV won't hit the back of the trailer, or in my case the picture window, going in and out of gas stations. I doubt that it is allowed to flex, and is pinned in the down position, given that the wheel is mounted well to the rear of the platform. I'd also have the trailer mount points made so they came out above the the level of the top of the bumper where the platform hooks up, if that is feasable.

That raises another question: Would it replace the bumper.

I'll check on Excapees and Trailerlife. Looks like it fills my requiremnts, I just need some more information. I'll post anything I find out.

Thanks
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Jeff,

I seen one of these mounted to a Cardinal 33 TS 5th wheel at the Canon Beach, Oregon campground.

The guy was hauling two $20,000 Harley Davidsons, I had a chance to look it over very good and talk to the guy.

It is a very nice setup with shocks auto lifting and a aircraft tire in the back to support rear of the trailer.
I do not remember but the one he had was not a Blue Ox.

I will try and remember the website for more information for you.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

George,

Thanks for the info, if the guy is using it to transport two Harleys, it has to be a good setup. Having the lift to raise it is a nice touch!

A guy on the TrailerLife boards seems to think it would be a second trailer, and I'd need a Calif CDL (he is hauling a boat behind his 5er). He suggested contacting the CHP in Sacramento, so I sent an e-mail there reguarding the legal mumbo jumbo. Man, if I wanted to be a Lawyer, I'd gone to law school. :wink:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Well, I found a different maker of a swivel wheel platform. George, does this look like the one you saw?

http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/rv_mot ... ssist.html

Now. In their FAQ's they answer the questions I had about licencing and triple tow.

Yes, a Class A licence is required in California.

Yes, it's considered a Triple Tow (Funny, I thought it would be a double, I must be missing something.

I'm waiting for a reply from the CHP in Sacramento on this, but "It AIN'T LOOKING GOOD". :(
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret