Trailer suspension

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Travelers

Trailer suspension

Post by Travelers »

It appears that the Trail-Air Rotor-Flex Hitch and Equa-Flex Suspension are standard. The upgrades are Trail-Air pin box and Trail-Air Air-Bag Suspension.

Cardinal claims the air bag system reduces trailer bounce by 96%.

Has anybody seen / used the air bag suspension?
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I have the complete Trail-Air pin box and Trail-Air Air-Bag Suspension system. It is Cardinal option 6405 at a dealer cost from the factory of $1,250,
The system works very well and gives the trailer a little more than a one and haft inches in trailer height, I would get it again if I ever bought a new trailer. I like the extra height because I have a F350 4x4 with factory 20" wheels and it allows the trailer to set just about level.

We forgot the salt and pepper shakers out on the counter and drove over two hours and they were still on the counter when we got home.

Is it something you must have, NO. But if you have the extra funds to spend it will not be a waste of money and you can feel the differance while driving.
If you want to see some pictures let me know.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I found the correct name is Center Point.

Your comment of the S&P still on the counter is a very good point to support this suspension system. If those two items are minimally affected by the road conditions, then think of how much less the frame and the internal components are affected. The process of welding and / or screwing and gluing the structure together is initially robust. As these units roll over the various roads we travel; the jostling, the hard impacts (chuck holes), never ending miles of pavement strips, and pitch and roll rotation will weaken the substructure over time. This air ride dampening systems should greatly reduce the affects the road conditions have on the substructure and its internal components. Less joint fatigue leading to fractures, loosened fasteners, etcetera?

From the SOTP perspective, I would expect that the drive would be more relaxing and we would arrive at the site in a better disposition to accept the challenges of parking. :D

We decided that the cost of the two options (trailair air pin and center point suspension) was a small cost to protect our investment, our comfort and my charming disposition. :D
Travelers

Pictures

Post by Travelers »

George,
I'll gladly take you up on the pics.

Thank you.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Here are some pictures.

George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Thank you for the pics.

The first pic shows a structure that fits under the front jack pads. I'm intrigued. Care to share?
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

What air level do you keep your Center Point at? The space on the air ride bag,(silver ring to silver ring) is suppose to be 5 1/4", ours is a about 6" with 40 PSI. The dealer had it at 60 PSI.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

It is recommended that 5 PSI for every 1,000 pounds of trailer weight at 70 degrees outside temperature.

I run about 75 PSI in mine give or take 5 PSI.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
William Fehr

Suspension

Post by William Fehr »

Our 2000 Cardinal did not come with any of these options. I have added the Trailair equa-flex equalizer and I am interested in changing my pin box. After putting Bilstein shocks on my truck we don't have a bounce issue but we do have a chucking issue. I don't think the Trailair air box will correct that but I think their new roto-flex box might. Can anyone tell me if they have changed a standard pin box to a roto-flex pinbox and if so what are their impressions.?. I am also interested in the Pin box made by 5th Airborne. Has anyone tried this retrofit? Thanks all
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Suspension

Post by campswithcritters »

William Fehr wrote:Our 2000 Cardinal did not come with any of these options. I have added the Trailair equa-flex equalizer and I am interested in changing my pin box. After putting Bilstein shocks on my truck we don't have a bounce issue but we do have a chucking issue. I don't think the Trailair air box will correct that but I think their new roto-flex box might. Can anyone tell me if they have changed a standard pin box to a roto-flex pinbox and if so what are their impressions.?. I am also interested in the Pin box made by 5th Airborne. Has anyone tried this retrofit? Thanks all
Mor-ryde also makes a pinbox designed to reduce chucking using elastomeric rubber.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
cardinal

Re: Trailer suspension

Post by cardinal »

I just purchased a 3625 Cardinal with the roto-flex hitch and roto-flex suspension and was wondering if I should have gotten the air hitch by travel-air instead. Does anyone know which is better. Also I plan on pulling this unit with a 2007 GMC 2500 duramax crew cab and wonder if anyone has had any problems pulling or with turning radius. Thanks.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

The Equa Flex Suspension and the rotoflex pin box are both made by Trailair. On my new trailer I did go with Trailair pin box instead of the rotoflex since I had the air pin on my last Cardinal and loved it. I did not go with the air suspension stayed with the Equa Flex, seem to ride very nice. I have an 08 Silverado long box with a Jack Rabbit tonneau cover and I had to have the back of the pin box trimmed so it would not hit the tonneau cover rails on sharp turns.

You will be over weight with the 2500 or the 3500 srw chevy with that size of trailer like by almost a ton if you load the trailer to its max..
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
cardinal

Post by cardinal »

Thanks Mike, is their a web page for trailer weights that is useful to figure out what you can haul. I seem to be getting different opions from my dealer and other people. Thanks Randy
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Check out your duramax and allison manuals not the silverado owners manual it gives the tow weights there remember its different for a 5th wheel hitch. Mine is a 22k gross weight which i am approaching my limits for my truck with my Cardinal 3150. Your truck probably weighs around 7800 pounds full of fuel and with you and your wife in it, on the 08 and i assume the 07 models you can go to a 14k trailer if your truck is around that weight. Now it will also state in the owners manuel you should not tow over a 13k trailer. It seems to be getting to the point of having to buy a f450 or larger truck to pull these heavy trailers. I towed Olbirds trailer which is pretty heavy with no problems up a long 7% grade and down a 7% grade but I would not want to tow his weight trailer all the time. He towed it fine with a Ford F350 srw but went to a top kick 5500 for a more stable platform.

I just towed my new trailer on a 1800 mile trip through Wyoming then into Colorado up and down wolf creek pass with no problems at all.

Now that was all as clear as mud huh lol I guess im side stepping the real answer because I know full timers that tow Mobile Suites that weigh 16,500 with no problems with an 2500 HD D/A but is it safe that is the question.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

People pull these things all the time with a F250- 350 and 2500 HD -3500 will no problems. I had a F350 SRW and had no problems pulling or stopping.
I did put air bags on the truck just to level the rear of the trucks a little, and my truck had all the extra springs from Ford for a in bed camper package.
I am only stating what I noticed, my F350 truck did sit down a little without the truck air bags and noticed that Mike's Chevy truck did not sit as low without air bags and he also pulled my trailer fine.

Make sure you trailer breaks are operating well because these trailers are getting heavy, try and keep the trailer on a diet they load up fast.

You will be fine pulling your new Bird, post some pictures.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW