Need Hitch Advise

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Need Hitch Advise

Post by PaulandTammy »

I currently have a Reese 16k. The hitch is in good shape and have had no problems with it. I am awaiting the arrival of a 2008 362 bhle with an empty weith of approx. 12500 and max gvwr of 15500. I asked my dealer if I needed to upgrade my hitch to a 18k or 20k Reese. I was told the 16k would work fine. I would rather not get a new hitch if I do not need one but I am a little concerned about how close I am to the rating of the hitch. I am carful about how much I carry on board the fiver and I am sure I will not exceed the max 15,500 of the GVWR, but for piece of mind sake I would like to hear others opinions.

Thanks
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Well Paul I know what you mean. If it were me, an I didn't already have a hitch, I would go with 18K. However if I already had a 16K hitch and the trailer has a gross weight under 16K I would use the hitch that I already have. Just my opinion.

Give your current hitch a try. If you feel uneasy with your hitch you can always change it at a later time.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I am pulling 15,200lbs with a 16K pull-right super 5th and have done so for about 17K miles with no problems. I regularly inspect the hitch and attachments and see no detrimental effects. I am sure there is a safety margin built into these things, and would only worry if I was going to go over the rating. 8)
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

Thanks for the replies, I think I should be ok with my current hitch just wanted other opinions. I feel better now thanks again.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW