Double tow with fifth wheel

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

surveyman

Double tow with fifth wheel

Post by surveyman »

I am looking for advise on where to connect the second trailer wiring; to the bird or to the tow vehicle? If it is the bird, where is the easiest and best place. The back of the bird seems pretty tight and I don't see any wires. By the fifth wheel is a junction box but how would you get the wires from there to back of the bird?
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I found that the factory ran the running lights to the back of the trailer on the left side looking at the rear of the trialer and cross over to the other tail light.
Drop the rear panel to access wire and Tee Tap or even better is to remove tail lights and fish wires from one side to the other and drop out your new harness wires near the hitch.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I wired lights on my motorcycle carrier to the back of my bird. I was lucky in that I have a fiberglass cap on the back of my bird, I found all the wires going to my tailights running down the LH/street side of my bird just inside the frame and just spliced in there at the back. Had to pull down the belly panels back there and they do not match code for tail/brake lights, just had to figure them out with a meter and hook up. Definitely a full afternoon job working by ones self.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

Thanks for the help, the mod is done! :D I dropped the left side of the under panel and found the wires just as campswithcritters and Olbird said. I tee spliced into them, checked my wiring and buttoned the rear of the bird back up. Took a couple of hours. Also installed the hitch my buddy welded for me. Bolted it in with 8 high strenght bolts, it really turned out great. :D That shot mothers day afternoon. No I didn't forget her, I got her a big cement frog for our waterfall pond and took her out to eat tonight.