Towing a 40.8 foot 362BH

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Fulltimefamily

Towing a 40.8 foot 362BH

Post by Fulltimefamily »

We are looking to purchase a 362BH for full-time RV. Would like input from others with similar rig as to pros/cons of such a large trailer. Considering towing with a Dodge 3500 dually diesel. We live in Colorado so towing up and down mountain roads will be frequent.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

If going full-time it will become extremely heavy very quickly unless you are very careful. The Dodge will do it if you tend to live lightly, most of us wish we could but don't (I am not the weight police but it is easy to go over the published limits of the truck, you might consider a 450 or up Ford or one of the new 4500 or 5500 Dodges). Having traveled CO often, make sure you at least have an exhaust brake to make it controllable going downhill. Service brakes heat up quickly in you turf. Your combination is do-able if you are careful, live lightly, and use an exhaust brake. I only say that as it will be done often if you use CO as a home base, folks go through there all the time as tourists way overweight but they do not do it repeatedly. I am not saying don't do it, I did it several times at and slightly above limits only that after several times I know I want a jake or pac brake. Ya'll enjoy and hope to see you out there somewhere and safe when I do. We got over the limits (of Dodge and Chevy 1 tons) with a 34 RLT but would still rather be doing the travel than sitting in a stick house and would do it again with an exhaust brake! Enjoy!

That is only my opinion and not to be taken to the bank.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Fulltimefamily

Post by Fulltimefamily »

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps we should begin looking at a little bigger truck (with an exhaust brake). I really love the mountains and would be very disappointed to find that our rig didn't handle them well.

What kind of fuel (in)efficiency do you get with your Freightliner? I realize that with the size rig we are looking at, deisel mileage won't be our strength, just looking for a point of reference.

Also, do often have difficulty find 40 ft.-friendly campsites?
campswithcritters
exempt member

Fulltimefamily wrote:Thanks for the advice. Perhaps we should begin looking at a little bigger truck (with an exhaust brake). I really love the mountains and would be very disappointed to find that our rig didn't handle them well.

What kind of fuel (in)efficiency do you get with your Freightliner? I realize that with the size rig we are looking at, deisel mileage won't be our strength, just looking for a point of reference.

Also, do often have difficulty find 40 ft.-friendly campsites?
I just moved up to the white elephant earlier this month and had been towing this same rig with 1 ton Chevy and before that a 1 ton Dodge. If you can keep your posessions to a minimum the Dodge will do the job for quite a while. It is easy to get a pac brake added on and a bit more labor for a Jake brake. Is the truck under warranty? Is it an automatic or a manual? If under warranty the Jake brake is the better option as Dodge actually has that as an option, but the pac brake easier and in my opinion just as good. If it is an automatic you might need a different trans controller depending on model year. The pac brake and Jake brake websites can help you answer questions in regard to this.

Right now the elephant is getting 8 mpg (brand new and not broken in) The Chevy was getting 10.5 (allison 6 speed automatic) and the Dodge was at 11 to 11.5 (6 speed manual).

Only problems we have encountered with site size has been some state/national parks built before rigs got big. Occasionally have had to put the tow vehicle in overflow parking, but very infrequently.
joem
Location: Livingston, Tx. my permanent address. But still travelling.
Cardinal Owners: 362BH

towing 40.8 foot 362BH

Post by joem »

I tow a 362BH trailer with a Dodge 3500. I have a 6 speed with a Pac brake.
I have had no problems towing with the Dodge including the mountains.
I am currently at Bryce canyon for the summer. The steep grades in the mountains don't seem to be a problem. I use 4th gear with the Pac brake on grades of 6 to 8%. hardly use the brakes. My biggest problem is finding a place to camp as most state and national parks can't handle the length.
Some newer campgrounds can handle the longer length.
I use the "trailer life" to find campgrounds in the areas where we want to stay. We use this place as a base and explore the areas.
Watch the weight and keep a close check on the tires.
2007 362BH Cardinal
2005 Dodge 3500 dually 6 spd.
Fulltimer
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

We recently bought a 362 and so far have taken it through Tennessee, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Most grade were 4% to 6% and the truck pulled it very well. The only issues I had with the Dodge were the valve stems on the General Tires. They crack and leak at the rim. I have had 3 go bad in 18,000 miles and now have had all new ones installed. We use ours primarily for weekends and vacations and my 3500 is fine for this use. Depending on how much you load out when full timing you could have a need for more truck than a 1 ton.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
Fulltimefamily

Post by Fulltimefamily »

We would like to thank all of you for your advice/input. I think our decision is made on the truck. Most likely going with a Dodge 3500 and keep our possessions light.

Now we just need to decide between the Pac brake and the Jake. What differences do you see or, as some of you have mentioned, is it 6 on one hand and half a dozen on the other......both equally effective.

Also, I notice that most of you drive a 6 speed....do you think a manual transmission is better?
campswithcritters
exempt member

Fulltimefamily wrote:We would like to thank all of you for your advice/input. I think our decision is made on the truck. Most likely going with a Dodge 3500 and keep our possessions light.

Now we just need to decide between the Pac brake and the Jake. What differences do you see or, as some of you have mentioned, is it 6 on one hand and half a dozen on the other......both equally effective.

Also, I notice that most of you drive a 6 speed....do you think a manual transmission is better?
If you are buying a new truck there is nothing wrong with the new 6 speed automatic, earlier trucks (pre 2007) had a 4 speed auto. The 4 speed auto had too much of a range problem in my opinion, just not enough gears to choose from so it kept the engine reving too much trying to keep up. The pre 2004.5 models had problems with heating up and torque converter failures. Basically if buying new get the auto, if buying used get a manual or be ready to spend some money upgrading.
Also if buying new the Jake brake can be factory installed avoiding any warranty problems. If buying used and you are handy the pac brake can be installed in one day pretty easily, while the jake brake install is extensive.
PaulandTammy
Cardinal Owners: 2009 362BHLE

Post by PaulandTammy »

Fulltimefamily wrote:

I would say thats because most of us probably had a Dodge with the 4 speed automatic before. If Dodge had offered the 6 speed auto in 2006 I would have gone with the auto. Campswithcritters is exactly right about the range problems with the 4 speed automatics. In my opinion the six speed automatic with the 6.7 is a great combination for towing. If I am not mistaken the exhaust brake comes standard with this combination from Dodge so you would not have to add that option.
PaulandTammy

09 362-BHLE
2011 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW
CritterRenter

Post by CritterRenter »

The exhaust break was an option on my truck, but was not much more. I definitely recommend it for the mountain country. The Pac Break is an easy install if your truck don't have the Jake break.
I had the Pac Break on my '05 and was very happy with it.
steveandfamily

Re: Towing a 40.8 foot 362BH

Post by steveandfamily »

I know this thread is a little old now - but my family and I have fallen in love with the 362BH. We have found an 06 we can purchase at a good price but first I need to purchase my truck. I was looking at a 3/4 ton 7.3 diesel (02, auto, quad cab, long bed, single wheel) but after looking at this thread I'm thinking this may not be enough. The 362BH must be one of the heavier 5th wheels. Has anyone towed with the 7.3? Should I still try to get a one ton DRW? How about a 7.3 one ton DRW?

Thanks for any help you can give. I will probably be purchasing a truck in the next few weeks so please help!
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

the 3/4 ton will do it but you will technically be over gvwr and combined weight! It also depends on your usage. For example if you will probably tow a few times a year not tooooo far or mountainous the youd be ok for now, but any more and a 350 dually would give better stability and cargo capacity for the monster pin wt. Also it depends on how many kids ya got and how heavy you pack! our truck in the signature has done great just how it came from the factory, no air springs, no power adders, when hooked up it sits perfect and we do not travel light! Mostly you need to know the gear ratio and if the truck has factory tow options to know if it will do the job whether its a 250 or 350, in a previos post i talked about my buddy with a newer version of my truck with the mor powerful v-10 who had trouble cause he bought it used and didn't know or understand the significance of the 3.73:1 gears!

Good luck and we are happy to help! :D
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

steveandfamily, welcome to the club! As you can see all the help you'll need with your truck or rig is right here!! We have great members that are happy to help, specially newbies!! So do NOT be afraid to ask any question you can think of!! You will recieve all the help you need and plenty of it!
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I agree with Matt. A 3/4 ton PU will be over loaded with the amount of tongue weight a trailer that size will have.

Rob
abc40kids

Post by abc40kids »

I've got the Cardinal 362bhs and pull it w/my '05 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed dually diesel.I think the truck does a great job pulling my 5er.I've been to Fl. and back and make several trips to the Blue Ridge Mountains.The Allison trans is great!!Only mods to my truck(Banks exhaust,Arraid intake)I had a Edge programer on it but took it off,did'nt need it.Good luck!!