Double towing with a fiver!

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Jim&Peggy
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 30LE

Double towing with a fiver!

Post by Jim&Peggy »

I am under the impression that double towing is illegal in most States. Am I wrong, again??
2005 Cardinal 30LE--2007 Dodge 3500 Heavy Duty --6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel with Jake Brake and 5th Airborne Fifth Wheel Air-ride Coupler.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Double towing with a fiver!

Post by campswithcritters »

Buy a Trailerlife directory, in the front section are towing laws for 50 states plus Canada. It will tell where double tows are legal and total length limits.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Jim&Peggy
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 30LE

Post by Jim&Peggy »

Thanks for reminding me about the Trailer Life Directory {our Bible}. I do have it, but never paid much attention to the referenced section. It looks like if you wade thru all the caveats, it is legal in most States. Thanks for the reference,----Regards---Jim
2005 Cardinal 30LE--2007 Dodge 3500 Heavy Duty --6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel with Jake Brake and 5th Airborne Fifth Wheel Air-ride Coupler.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Can you add a receiver to the back of a Cardinal? Looking at the frame it looks to me that you would really need to beef it up to add a 2” receiver. Has anyone done it?
Thanks
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

It is legal in Calif. so long as you have a commercial class a with doubles endorsements and a current med certificate.

We put a 2" reciever on ours. We boxed in the frame past the axles, and then cross braced the frames so that it does not twist or flex. i usually tow a small 3 rail dirt bike trailer unless I am towing in states that this is illegal (Oregon). Then I have a bike hauler slid in the reciever and away we go.
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Just out of curiosity what is the approximate cost to have something like that added?
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Traveler II wrote:Just out of curiosity what is the approximate cost to have something like that added?
I paid just over $400 for a very heavy duty custom hitch manufactured and installed. It's been holding a carrier and 350lb motorcycle for over a year and a bunch of miles on some rough roads. Beware that you likely void your frame warranty by doing this, I was willing to risk it to bring the bike along.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

That’s expensive but I’d like to take my wife’s small scooter alone with us. Last year I put it the back of the truck, but it would be far easier if we could use the ramp/carry we used on our MH, but it fits into a 2” receiver.
Jim & Jane
ratherbcamping

Post by ratherbcamping »

Double towing is illegal in New York state.
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Traveler II wrote:Just out of curiosity what is the approximate cost to have something like that added?
Mine was about $90 for the hitch, $20 for the electrical stuff and about $50 in steel. I did the labor so I dont know what a shop would charge.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

When I checked the Forest River site I saw the new "Birds are coming equipped with factory installed receiver hitches, I think as an option. They have a 350# hitch weight/3500# trailer weight "without voiding the warranty". Anyone have one of these, or know if these units have the same frame as the older models.

I also checked with the California Highway Patrol on double towing and looked at the Commercial Driver Licence (CDL) requirements a couple of months ago. Having a CDL, at least in California, means there are much stricter requirements on the driver, like Driving While Impaired, speeding, etc. Also these apply at all times, even if you are driving a passenger vehicle. The CHP Captain in charge of Vehicle Code Enforcement in Sacramento, who replied to my inquiry also said they are actively enforcing the CDL requirement for RVers pulling doubles, so it isn't a good idea thinking you can ignore it, at least in California. In my observations, enforcement is generally with blue lights appearing in your mirrors, and leaving the offending trailer on the shoulder of the road, plus the ticket and fine, not at the AG Inspection station entering the state.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I have a factory installed receiver on my 2007 5th wheel. I paid $550 when I ordered the trailer. Seemed a bit expensive when I did it, but I figured it was worth every penny to have a factory hitch made by Lippert when they made the frame. I also had them provide the 4 wire pig tail for the second trailer connection. They did a nice job. It came with the same warranty. I did it to tow watercraft on a second trailer. As Jeff writes from his research in Calif., I now have a commercial driver's license with a doubles endorsement. The fun part of the driving test was parallel parking the fiver in a space 12 feet wide and 10 feet longer than the trailer. The tow vehicle did not have to be against the "curb". They are simulating a side door loading dock. Takes practice, as you cannot exit your vehicle to check status. Calif. restricts over-all length of the rig, and has size limits on the trailers if you exceed 65' total length. The first trailer has to be a fifth wheel per Calif. Vehicle Code. My buddy has towed this same config. since 1996 in Calif. and has never been stopped. Trick is to drive around the speed limit. What a concept! I have had great success towing this way for nearly two years. Backing up more than 100 feet is challenging, if not near impossible. Dead end roads are not your friends. Even if I was not towing double, I would still get the receiver for traveling secure with a bike rack, and such. I had not considered a wheel chair platform, but it is a good idea.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!