Prodigy Settings

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Dale Crenshaw

Prodigy Settings

Post by Dale Crenshaw »

Can anyone help me in setting my Prodigy brake controller? The Prodigy was on the truck when I bought it used (2003 Chevy 2500 HD). My 5th wheel has hydraulic disc brakes and I have not found a setting that I think works like it should. Usually when I hit the brakes, it will work for a few seconds then just fade away leaving me nothing. This makes things get exciting sometimes.
Any help or advice is appreciated.
Rob & Cathy

Re: Prodigy Settings

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Dale, you may want to check the Prodigy web site. The brake controller may not be designed for use on a electric-hydraulic trailer brake systems.

Rob
Dale Crenshaw

Post by Dale Crenshaw »

Thanks Rob,
I think you may be right. I have sent a email to the Prodigy tech center to see what they say. It says on the users card that it is not for hydraulic brakes, but I thought someone might be using it anyway and I would not have to buy a different one.
Does anyone know of a controller that works with electric/hydraulic brakes?
Thanks,
Dale
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I am using prodigy for electric over hydraulic (Carlisle pump) and had one on previous truck. It works fine for me using B3 setting and just manually actuating while adjusting the gain to a good firm stop (not so close to the skidding point that Prodigy recommends). Had my hyd brakes installed at Mor-Ryde and they told me my prodigy is one of the best units for use with this system.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Dale Crenshaw

Post by Dale Crenshaw »

Thanks for all the information. After researching brake controllers, I found that the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller has a feature that lets you switch between electric and electric/hydraulic. PPL has them on sale for $121.99 this week, so I called the service dept. and asked about them. They said this is what I needed for hydraulic brakes so I ordered one. I will let you know how it works when I get it installed. It is supposed to be "plug and play" with the old Prodigy wiring.
Thanks,
Dale
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Dale Crenshaw wrote:Thanks for all the information. After researching brake controllers, I found that the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller has a feature that lets you switch between electric and electric/hydraulic. PPL has them on sale for $121.99 this week, so I called the service dept. and asked about them. They said this is what I needed for hydraulic brakes so I ordered one. I will let you know how it works when I get it installed. It is supposed to be "plug and play" with the old Prodigy wiring.
Thanks,
Dale
Be sure to post how it works out, I never had a problem using a prodigy on the Chevy dually and likely would not even know if the trailer brakes completely failed in the Freightliner, but it's always good to store the info for the future.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")