Towing Law in NC

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

flojoe
Cardinal Owners: 08 33SB LE

Towing Law in NC

Post by flojoe »

My husband wants to pull a boat behind our Cardinal 5th wheel and our camper dealer says it is legal as long as overall length doesn't exceed 70'. The local highway patrol office says it's not legal unless it is a tractor trailer and you have a CDL license. Camper Life says triple towing is not allowed in NC. Is that what it is called when you have a truck pulling a 5th wheel camper, and the 5th wheel pulls a boat? Does anyone know who is right?
'08 33SB LE Cardinal Fifth Wheel
'05 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2WD, SB
edatlanta

Re: Towing Law in NC

Post by edatlanta »

Here is a link to another source of towing laws by state. It shows triple towing is NOT legal in NC.

Ed

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
snoking

Post by snoking »

I thought triple towing was like Oregon, that allows a tractor and three trailers on certain Interstate Highways! Chris
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Triple towing refers to three vehicles connected together. In this case your TV, RV and another trailer.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
flojoe
Cardinal Owners: 08 33SB LE

Post by flojoe »

Thanks everyone for your answers. According to the towingworld website, it's not legal in N.C., and the local highway patrol office said it is illegal unless your tow vehicle is a tractor trailer and you have a CDL, and they gave me the North Carolina General Statute (20-116) and the website I could find it at (www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes). It's thoroughly confusing when an RV dealer and other peole tell you it is legal. I've seen several fifth wheels towing boats behind them on I-40. We even have some good friends who are towing their golf cart behind their fifth wheel and thought it was perfectly legal.
'08 33SB LE Cardinal Fifth Wheel
'05 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2WD, SB
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

For what it's worth , in Michigan it is legal...IF you have the endorsment. :thumbrt:

It is called a "Recreational Double" 8)
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

You can do and pull anything you want as long as you do not get pulled over by a State Trooper.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW