Swivel wheel trailer

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Re: Swivel wheel trailer

Post by Don Wilson »

Bruce

How is it riding Sharon's three wheeler up that ramp!! :D

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Don Wilson wrote:Bruce

How is it riding Sharon's three wheeler up that ramp!! :D

Don
Sharon's bike so I make her ride it up! =)) :o)
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
JOE33060
Cardinal Owners: 2006 36-2BHLE

Post by JOE33060 »

Did you say the Tag-a-long stays on all the time. We have the 36-2BHLE and most places we go it would need to be unhooked to fit our spots. I really want one of these to take our golf cart.Most places we need a cart I just rent one but Id rather take mine. Ive ben thinking of towing a trailer but am concerned of getting stopped and told to leave the 2nd trailer on the side of the highway.
Joe and Cheryl
2006 36-2BHLE
2008 Ford F350 CC King Ranch
campswithcritters
exempt member

JOE33060 wrote:Did you say the Tag-a-long stays on all the time. We have the 36-2BHLE and most places we go it would need to be unhooked to fit our spots. I really want one of these to take our golf cart.Most places we need a cart I just rent one but Id rather take mine. Ive ben thinking of towing a trailer but am concerned of getting stopped and told to leave the 2nd trailer on the side of the highway.
I do leave it on all the time, I use trailer life and woodalls to ensure I go to campgrounds that can handle my 62 ft total length or extra parking area for the truck. My tag-along also has fold-up capability but I have never used it.
campswithcritters
exempt member

Just an update for those still curious about the swivelwheel and towing regulations. I got stopped by a New York sheriffs deputy today (for rolling a stop) and he said absolutely nothing about the swivel wheel. Check the towing laws in NY and you will find there is no allowable towing of double trailers. So far so good and we have had it on there through PA, NY, VT, VA, SC, WV, AL, GA, & ME all of which do not allow doubles with no issues. I am always ready with the explanation it is the same as a hitch platform and has lights as it extends over 4 ft, but have not had the cause to bring that up.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I would love to get one to haul a quad on, but (big but!) is the California Highway Patrol for me.

Anyone have any experience using one here in California?

I like the explanation too!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
campswithcritters
exempt member

Chief409 wrote:I would love to get one to haul a quad on, but (big but!) is the California Highway Patrol for me.

Jeff, You might try contacting the manufacturer as they keep in pretty close contact with us consumers. They might know of someone pulling one in CA to see what they have to say. I really thought I was going to be in big trouble today when pulled over, and will be happy to pay the penalty for my violation without being in a bigger predicament. I have towed it in all the named states as well as several others with no issues other than brushing a picnic table with it as the overhang and sweep-out when cornering takes a bit of adjustment.
campswithcritters
exempt member

Chief409 wrote:I would love to get one to haul a quad on, but (big but!) is the California Highway Patrol for me.

Jeff, You might try contacting the manufacturer as they keep in pretty close contact with us consumers. They might know of someone pulling one in CA to see what they have to say. I really thought I was going to be in big trouble today when pulled over, and will be happy to pay the penalty for my violation without being in a bigger predicament. I have towed it in all the named states as well as several others with no issues other than brushing a picnic table with it as the overhang and sweep-out when cornering takes a bit of adjustment. Take a look at all the trailers with hitch platforms that are very legal and explain it off as "The wheel is just to keep it from dragging and scraping up pavement on un-level entries and exits. Would it be within your total length laws? Most states say 65 ft, even with Miss Ellie I am only 62 ft.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

The rigs would be legal for overall length. I'll check the manufactures sites again, one that I looked at before made mention about CA. And here is what they have to say:

http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/rv_mot ... t_faq.html

"Is the Swivel Wheel System in conjunction with my Fifth Wheel trailer considered a triple tow vehicle?
Yes! It appears that the Swivelwheel System is considered to be a triple tow. Currently, there are 22 states that do not allow triple towing. These states include all states from Florida to Maine along the east coast, Oregon, and Washington. California allows triple towing, but requires the driver to have a Class-A license. California will stop out of state rigs and inspect your drivers license."

I guess I won't get one, I don't want a Class A licence.

Of course with the mess California is in, they just might require us to get a Class A licence for 5th wheels to get extra money! :| 8-|
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.