Pull rite hitch

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

ajf1950

Pull rite hitch

Post by ajf1950 »

We would like to purchase a pull rite super-glide hitch, however our 5th wheel is currently in Casper, WY in storage and we are in Parker, CO and are unable to measure the king pin box to order the correct capture plate. We have a 2006 34TS. Does Cardinal use a standard king pin box? Is there anyway to find out what our king pin box is? I have emailed Forest River, but haven't heard back from them.
Last edited by ajf1950 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Pull rite hitch

Post by campswithcritters »

There is a standard for the pin and it is the same all the way through big rigs, I think it is 1.5 inch diameter but any 5th wheel hitch will be correct. The only problems I have heard of occurring is interference with back of truck cab with short bed trucks or hitting bed rails with pinbox mount. so just have someone watching on the first sharp turns.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

If you contact Cardinal, they can most likely tell you which one you have. If not them, contact Lippert who makes the frames and king pin. You will need the VIN # for this info.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

If you are getting a Pull-Rite Super Glide I would think you have a short bed truck. Pull Rite now has a a new type capture plate that has angles on the sides that clamps onto the 5th wheel pin box. The older type that is still made bolts or can be welded to the bottom of the pin box.

I would purchase the newer type that comes on and off easy, but you will need the correct width of your pin box.
I have not seen different width pinbox on the Cardinals if I do not forget tomorrow I will measure the width on mine.

Go to the Pull -Rite site look at the new capture plates.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
ajf1950

Post by ajf1950 »

Thanks so much. We do have a short bed truck--it fits in our garage that way. I actually need three measurements according to the pull-rite web site for the quick connect capture plate.

A-width of the box
B-from front tip of box to front tip of king pin
C-from front tip of box to back tip of box

Measurement A should be either 12 3/4" or 13 1/4"
Measurement B should be 3 3/8" to 6 3/8"
Measurement C should be 8 7/8" to 12 1/4"

Assuming we all have Lippert king pin boxes as was mentioned by a previous response to my question

Again, thanks so much--I will be able to order from Tweety's and take everything with us for installation in Casper where we only pay $15/mo to store our Cardinal as opposed to $90/mo here in Denver where apparently the land is valuable
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Wow that is new, I had 2 pull-rite hitches in the past 1 superglide and 1 standard hitch. Did not have to measure the pinbox for either.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Ya Bruce, Pull Rite came up with same idea (MOD) I did on mine three years ago.
The plates use to bolt to the bottom, now they are bent to go up the sides and clamp to the side of the pin box, so it must fit the box correct now.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Wilclarke
Cardinal Owners: 2008 LE33SB

Post by Wilclarke »

Just got back from TopSail and found that bolts fastening plate to king pin for Automatic Super Glide hitch had all snapped off in rear. I purchased all new high strengh bolts and replaced all bolts. I found all broken bolt heads in hitch. Advise checking bolts on regular basis. Even if all bolts snap, 5er should still stay attached.
Our Modifications ====> http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk39 ... =slideshow
2008 Cardinal SBLE 33 & 2015 GMC Denali 3500 HD
Wilson, Lin, Storm and Canyon
Camping 2010-160
Camping 2011-75
Camping 2012-108
Camping 2013-123
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Gene,
I forgot that I have a Trail-Air pin box L05 Long model and is not the same size as the stock pin boxes.
But I did some research for you looking at the Lippert, Trail-Air and Pull-Rite websites, I know that Cardinal uses Lippert frames that requires a pin box width of 12" and lippert pin box model 1621 long type is the most common used.
Pull-Rite quick connect plate number 331704 should be the one you need. I am about 98% sure that is the plate you need but you never know if FR used a different brand pin box on the Lippert frame.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Wilson,
The new quick connect Pull-Rite capture plates do not bolt on from the bottom, they fit around the base of the pin box and is held up with four set screws. The sides of the new type capture plate take the stress during a turn, the older type put all the stress on the bolts as you have found out.
Many people in past years welded the capture plate on the pin box but only a truck with the Pull Rite slider hitch could pull the trailer if you was to break down and needed a tow. The new type comes off very fast as needed.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Wilclarke

Post by Wilclarke »

I only found out about the set screw plate after getting the bolt on plate. Hey I got an extra plate, maybe I could have sides welded onto it.
Camping 2010-160
Camping 2011-75
Camping 2012-108
Camping 2013-123
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

That is what I did when I had my Pull-Rite hitch, I had came up with that idea and used it for two years before Pull- Right sold them.
I think I have a picture posted on the site showing the angles welded onto the capture plate and can be removed with four side set screws.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Wilson,
Here is a picture of the angle welded to the capture plate with the two set screws in place.

George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Wilclarke

Post by Wilclarke »

Olbird thanks for the info. We will be leaving home for 3 months starting the end of May. Hope to see some other birds up in PA and NY on this trip.
Camping 2010-160
Camping 2011-75
Camping 2012-108
Camping 2013-123