Traveling Without A Spare Tire

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Traveling Without A Spare Tire

Post by Olbird »

How many would or travels without a spare tire and would just depend on roadside service.
My new truck did not come with a spare and does not have a place or room under it to mount one, I am told that trucks like mine use roadside service when needed and most carry a tire plug repair kit for emergency.
But when I think about it I have never had to change a flat tire on the tow vehicle in all the years I have been towing.
Bruce do you have a spare for your TV.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Traveling Without A Spare Tire

Post by campswithcritters »

Olbird wrote:How many would or travels without a spare tire and would just depend on roadside service.
My new truck did not come with a spare and does not have a place or room under it to mount one, I am told that trucks like mine use roadside service when needed and most carry a tire plug repair kit for emergency.
But when I think about it I have never had to change a flat tire on the tow vehicle in all the years I have been towing.
Bruce do you have a spare for your TV.
No spare here either George, not sure I could lift one if I did. I like the idea of a plug kit, need to look into that. I do have air outlet but need hose etc for it, thanks for reminding me on that one. Had one occasion of a low tire on a former tow vehicle but spotted it on morning walk-around, as I limit distance and time any given travel day it was not a problem, hooked electric and cable up and told DW 1 more hour to departure. It could have been unhooked and driven to tire repair or filled up with air I have available now (if I had that hose, likely to look for one real quick). I have Good Sams Roadside Assist and always thought I would call them, but cell phones not 100%.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Bruce,
I will look for the name of the plug kit, its not the cheap ones you find at your corner auto parts.
This baby has a handle and hook on it that could push the high quality plugs into a 2x4 without breaking.
I have three air compressors and two air tanks on the truck with a fill hose.
I do not know if I could get the lugs loose to change the tire.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member

Olbird wrote:Bruce,
I do not know if I could get the lugs loose to change the tire.
Good point George, I have the tool for false chrome lug nut covers, but no socket/impact for lugs (I only go up to 1/2 inch socket set). Guess I am reliant on the tire service.
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

It's amazing how time changes things. Back in my younger and more foolish days, I wouldn't have even considered not changing my own tires. I was always in a hurry, strong enough to do it myself, and sure didn't have the spare cash to waste. Now I believe I would rather spend 1/2 a day sitting and staring out the windshield while I wait on some youngster to come out and do it for me.......... Life is good! i-) i-) i-) i-) i-)
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Olbird wrote:How many would or travels without a spare tire and would just depend on roadside service.
Well, I wouldn't but I have the means to change the tire on my TV. BTW how many have actually checked the air pressure of the spare for the TV or trailer? I just don't like the idea of being dependent on someone else to do something as basic as changing a tire especially if you like to travel back roads. That doesn't mean I wouldn't use ERS if available I am paying for it after all.

George, you said your TV does not come with a spare nor does it have a place for a spare. Does it come with a jack (not Mike's Jack)?

Rob
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

My 450 has a full size spare under the truck (19.5) and I would always find a place for one. If I had air, I then would keep one of my impact guns with me. I could have a tire changed and be back on the road before roadside could get to me. JMO

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well like Gerry said I could do whatever I wanted when I was younger but with three back surgeries thats not going to happen now. If I had to I could get it done but only if I had to. Better check to see where the tire jack is in my truck :oops:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member

Mike Clay wrote:Well like Gerry said I could do whatever I wanted when I was younger but with three back surgeries thats not going to happen now. If I had to I could get it done but only if I had to. Better check to see where the tire jack is in my truck :oops:
Mike, Check behind rear seat on passenger side, that is where the 07s had the jack & wrenches.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

I have Good Sam road side and plan to use if needed but I am one those guys that thinks I need to be prepared for anything.
The problem is finding a place for it without putting it in the truck bed, Fords F450 did make a space for the spare but the tires are smaller and I have fuel tanks in all the open areas 167 gallons. I even thought I have six wheels and the truck is well below its load rating just move them around in a real emergency with no other options.
The truck did not come with a jack or lug wrenches but I do carry a heavy duty bottle jack for the camper.
When I had a Motorhome it took two men to get the lugs loose with a large breaker bar, Most newer heavy duty trucks and motorhomes use a new type lug nut that has a flat ridged washer built onto the lug nut that turns within in each other to reduce friction on the wheel rim for a true torque and ease of lug removal.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
campswithcritters
exempt member

167 gallons? George you are the first I've heard of with capacity larger than mine, I have the twin 80s so you beat me by 7 gallons. :oops:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Na Bruce the other 7 gallons is gumbo
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
campswithcritters
exempt member

Gumbo? I'm on my way since I have had the chance to taste his cajun cooking!
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

My 450 is a cab & chassis conversion. Full size spare was added where the original fuel tank was in the rear. Then 100 gal fuel tank/tool box was mounted in the bed. Along with the small saddle tank, full, we cary 120 gal.
I understand why some have roadservice and is a good idea. As long as I can do, I will. Just as many of you have.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

I would trade some of that fuel for tire space under the truck. I am thinking of building support under the Cardinal for the truck tire spare also, it will add to my pin weight but thats ok.
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW