Clearance question

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Grape Escape
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30RKLE

Clearance question

Post by Grape Escape »

Figured this would be the best forum to ask since we all have Cardinals. I have a 2009 F250 short box 6'-7"I think with the Reese slider hitch. Do I need to slide unit back or is there enough clearance when making sharp turns? Will check when we go out for the first time but I am getting curious.
Thanks
2008 Cardinal 30 RKLE tv 2009 Ford F250 XLT SE Crew 4X4 V10
Reese Signature 18 k slider, Michelin XPS rib tires 225/75x16

previous trailers
2006 Rockwood 2607 tv 2005 Tahoe
2002 Traillite 23' tv 2001 Pathfinder
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Clearance question

Post by campswithcritters »

Measure from the center of the pin of the trailer to the corner of the trailer at cab height, just hang a bit of weight from a string taped to the point likely to hit the truck cab then use a tape to measure so the tape can be held level. Then measure from the hitch (pin attach area) to the back of the cab, that will tell you if it will hit and approximately where. It is possible on most combinations I have seen and I hit my previous 5er on a shortbed, lucky I saw it and stopped with a slight ding in the cab. As a previous owner of a pull-rite superglide hitch I will state that is the easiest & requires no thought or action by the driver.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
davenkc
Cardinal Owners: 2003 29LE

Post by davenkc »

Grape Escape wrote:Figured this would be the best forum to ask since we all have Cardinals. I have a 2009 F250 short box 6'-7"I think with the Reese slider hitch. Do I need to slide unit back or is there enough clearance when making sharp turns? Will check when we go out for the first time but I am getting curious.
Thanks
I've got a similar set-up. It will hit, but only when you're turning really tight. I always slide my hitch before backing into a site and then I know I'll never have a problem.

Dave
Kathy & Dave
2003 29LE
2003 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed 6.0 PSD
Transfer Flow 46 gallon fuel tank
Air-Lift Air Springs
Line-X
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We have about the same set up too...I don't think we have a slider either. You just have to watch good when you are making a tight turn. We have never hit in the 4 years we've been pulling our rig....so far...knock on wood lol
Cardman

Post by Cardman »

You should be able to make "most" turns on roads. When making a 90deg turn you are only hinged @ 45deg. I usually don't have to move the hitch back in a CG but when I move on my property it is a must. Just go to an empty parking lot and see how far you can turn. Just be VERY careful!!
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We have the long box and my king pin box hits the topper rails on the side when I turn to sharp. :-? :-?
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165