High tire temperatures

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

jamespatrick4

High tire temperatures

Post by jamespatrick4 »

I noticed the temps on the two curb-side tires on our rig were in the 125-130 range on our last trip out (checked with an infrared temp. gauge). This is the third-trip with the new GY G rated tires (replaced the Karriers) and the first time I noticed the temps in this range. On the first trip with the new GYs, the temps were in the 110-115 range and the ambient temps were in the 60s. The second time I didn't check the tire temps. This last time I checked the tire temps twice on both the outbound and inbound trips and each tme they were in the higher range for the curb-side tires but normal for the street side (110-115). The outside ambient temps were in the 80s on the outbound and inboud drives for this third trip. The tire pressure at departure was 110 psi.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and is this temp (125-130) a problem?

Thanks for any insight.

James
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: High tire temperatures

Post by campswithcritters »

jamespatrick4 wrote:I noticed the temps on the two curb-side tires on our rig were in the 125-130 range on our last trip out (checked with an infrared temp. gauge). This is the third-trip with the new GY G rated tires (replaced the Karriers) and the first time I noticed the temps in this range. On the first trip with the new GYs, the temps were in the 110-115 range and the ambient temps were in the 60s. The second time I didn't check the tire temps. This last time I checked the tire temps twice on both the outbound and inbound trips and each tme they were in the higher range for the curb-side tires but normal for the street side (110-115). The outside ambient temps were in the 80s on the outbound and inboud drives for this third trip. The tire pressure at departure was 110 psi.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and is this temp (125-130) a problem?

Thanks for any insight.

James
Not a problem in my opinion, mine have been that hot and a bit hotter in higher ambient temps. 2 reasons one side can be hotter in my experience, 1) Which side of the trailer is the sun on when traveling? 2) My LH sides run hotter even in rain due to heavier slides on that side Fridge, Pantry, etc on that side & higher load = higher temp.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

My Michelin Ribs are running between 125 (front axle) and 135 (rear axle). I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with any temp less than 150. You will see some variation side to side on hot days if the sun is shining mostly on one side. Weight distibution will also cause a variation, as will alignment and tire pressure.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

We don't run the G tires but use GY E tires which are at 80psi. On the GY web site is a statement the says if you tow between 65 and 75 mph you should over inflate the tires 10 psi to keep them cooler. I don't know if this is for G tires or not and was very surprised when it stated that for E tires. Could many the tires blowing out be a result of speeds over 65 and running with 80 psi?
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

That temp is not a problem mine runs the same when its warm out.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

My curbside also runs a little hotter but I figured it was because the exhaust pipe exits on that side. Must be a combination of all of the above.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

Thanks for the replies. That certainly takes a load off my mind. I suspect they run warmer on the curb side for a variet of reasons, probably the ones cited here. I'm not sure about adding an extra 10 psi to G rated tires since that are already at 110 normally but I think I will check with GY and see what information they have. We keep our highway speeds at 65 and use cruise control when possible so these tires generally don't see anything above that.

Thanks again,

James
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Plus the crown of the road puts more pressure on the curb side of the trailer truck tires do the same thing.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

I have temperature and pressure sensors inside the tires on my Good Year "G's" and have seen 140 degree tire temperatures and pressures up to 125 PSI on hot days.
No problem, I have a chart that shows how pressures and temperatures work together under certain conditions and will post it I can find it.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW