Brake Controller Controversy in New Zealand

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Kiwispirit

Brake Controller Controversy in New Zealand

Post by Kiwispirit »

Hi everyone,

I am embroiled in a controversy over inertia type brake controllers in New Zealand, and would like some advice please.

There are a lot of 5th wheelers (comparatively) in New Zealand, the majority of which are imported from America.

Nearly all of these are using inertia type brake controllers, as this seemed to be the controller of choice in the country (USA) where these 5th wheelers are made - therefore they should be safe and effective.

Unfortunately nearly all American 5th wheelers get classified as a Heavy Trailer in New Zealand, and are tested to the same standards that are applied to commercial big rigs.

Most recently a revision of the rules to be applied to brakes on these 5th wheelers has led to the banning of the inertia controllers, and all of those still in use to be replaced by those that react to brake pedal position or brake line pressure.

This has been done not because there is any indication that the inertia controllers are unsafe, but because the authority was not aware of the widespread use of them as original equipment and also had no data on what international standard/safety test data etc they might comply with.

I realise that I will probably have to find out which models and manufacturers are in use and approach those manufacturers for their data, but I would be interested in any information others on this forum might have.

Otherwise it is going to cost me around $2500 to change the equipment and get it certified by an engineer. Crazy situation, but thats bureaucracy for you.
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Re: Brake Controller Controversy in New Zealand

Post by EAW »

I put a http://maxbrake.com/ on and have not regretted it one bit. I now get smooth stops on the roads that have a "washboard" surface just before the stop sign. The same road would drive my old inertia type controller crazy.

It sounds like some of our bureaucrats have moved your way. They are either clueless or they have a hand in the pocket of someone that makes the new required controller. :D
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain