Towing in Mountains

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Towing in Mountains

Post by Mike Clay »

I dont know George I towed that heavy monster trailer of yours up Rainier Hill pretty good :D still have nightmares about coming down the other side though :shock: :-ss
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

If there is a reduced speed limit for trucks on downhill grades, use that as your speed limit. Don't ride the brakes, a motorhome driver found out the hard way recently on a 13% downhill grade that at the bottom of the hill - no brakes. Luckily minor injuries but one totaled MH and toad.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Thats the reason I had an exhaust brake put on my TV. It really helps with these diesels.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

The tranny brake does a good job but I do miss the exhaust brake in my Dodge
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Do they make a after market exhaust brake for the Fords and GM's, my truck has it from the factory and it is nice to have but the trany does a great job also.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

If I remember correctly from my 6.4 manual, Ford says "No Jake". Due to all the new emissions controls and sensors.

My tranny brake does a good job with the weight I'm moving. At most a quick application of the brakes is all that's required, and that's only occasionally.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:If I remember correctly from my 6.4 manual, Ford says "No Jake".
True, but a Jake brake is different than an exhaust brake.

Rob
CaptainSkidmark

Post by CaptainSkidmark »

Rob, can you clarify this because I was under the impression that the "Jake brake and exhaust brake were the same thing. I hope I haven't been telling my friends wrong. Heck, I'm already an idiot, but I don't want to give them any extra ammunition to verify it. =))
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

possibly FORD means a "jake brake" specifically like a sawzall is generic for a reciprocating saw, but a Pac or other exhaust brake is acceptable?!?!?!? :-? :-? :-? :-?
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

Ah alright guys! I was on my first cuppa joe! (-|

I should of said "any type of exhaust brake". All these new diesels are monitored from the front bumper to the tips of the exhaust.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

CaptainSkidmark wrote:Rob, can you clarify this because I was under the impression that the "Jake brake and exhaust brake were the same thing.
A Jac brake is a device on the engine and uses the cylinder valves to slow the diesel engine. An exhaust brake is simply a valve in the exhaust used to slow a diesel by restricting the exhaust gases in diesel engines. Gas engines don't need them.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Jacobs exhaust brake is made by the same people that make the Jake brake for semis BD,Edge, Pac brake and others make engine brakes also.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

jjames1942
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by jjames1942 »

Mountain driving isn't all that bad. I usually put my dodge in 3rd or 2nd depending on the downgrade, and only brake to keep the rpms under redline. This seems to work well for me. Always check your brakes before the down grade and start the downgrade as slow as possible. Stay away from the 10% downgrades. Those can really be exciting. These downgrades are usually on the two lane roads with no shoulders. Good Sam sells a mountain downgrade directory which gives the downgrade and length of the downgrade. It will help you decide which roads to take. Once again stay away from the 10% downgrades. Good luck.

:D
Jerry & Bonnie James
2006 Cardinal 30TS 5th Wheel
3500 Dodge Big Horn Diesel
Banks Exhaust Brake
Airlift Air Bags
Chief409
Mojave Desert

Post by Chief409 »

jjames1942 wrote:Mountain driving isn't all that bad. I usually put my dodge in 3rd or 2nd depending on the downgrade, and only brake to keep the rpms under redline. This seems to work well for me. Always check your brakes before the down grade and start the downgrade as slow as possible. Stay away from the 10% downgrades. Those can really be exciting. These downgrades are usually on the two lane roads with no shoulders. Good Sam sells a mountain downgrade directory which gives the downgrade and length of the downgrade. It will help you decide which roads to take. Once again stay away from the 10% downgrades. Good luck.

:D
Mountains are not that bad, I agree. As I live, work and tow the 'Bird in the Sierra Mt's here are a couple of pointers I use myself.

1. Know what downgrades you'll be facing. If there are steep downgrades along a truck route, the state will post signs for "Brake Check Areas".

2. Never start at the top of a steep grade faster then the posted truck speed. If a truck speed isn't posted, stay under 40 mph or less to start. Lots of curves or reduced visibility due to blind curves, especially on a two lane road, I'll do 25 mph. Always be aware in steep terrain there is the possibility of rocks, etc on the road. Or the 'Wanna Be a Rally Driver' who just might be in your lane coming the opposite direction. Keep an eye on the mirrors. If traffic backs up more then 4 or 5 vehicles, pull off at the next turn out and let the traffic pass. Also do this on steep UP hill grades. In mountain states "It's the LAW".

3. Gear down, even with the new automatic transmissions. On both of my Fords since I got the 'Bird (ie: HEAVY TRAILER) I've used 3 as a rule, but there are times when 2 is required.

4. DON'T RIDE THE BRAKES! THEY WILL OVERHEAT AND FADE OUT! If short applications of braking can't keep the speed down with the gear you selected prior to starting downgrade, slow to a stop before things get out of control. Then select a LOWER gear. My rule of thumb is if the gears can't keep it within 10 mph of what ever speed I selected with short applications of the brakes, it's time for a lower gear AND A SLOWER SPEED. IF your brakes start to fade STOP NOW at the first sign of that. If there is a turn out or wide shoulder, great. But STOP. NOW. Give the brakes plenty of time to cool off. I've discovered over the years that it is better to start with too low a gear selection when I'm unsure. The ONLY TIME for constant brake pressure IS COMING TO A COMPLETE STOP. PERIOD.

5. Take your time. A truck and trailer are not sports cars.

Enjoy the scenery you'll see at the slower speeds. I'm always seeing things on roads I drive without the 'Bird at speed that I notice when I'm taking my time with the 'Bird in tow.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

Mountains aren't bad.....unless driving thru Hill City and Rushmore during Sturgis Rally dates. Bikes were all over the place, just like gnats and I was praying I didn't need the shoulder or a pullout because they were FULL of bikes. I didn't realize so many bikes existed.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan